Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This may be a round-about way of getting to this topic but here it is. I am a military reenactor, I started out in Civil War and have moved on to WWII. I have to say that sleeping on a musty army cot in a tent listening to Glenn Miller and drinking a Coke-a-Cola sure beats sleeping on straw under the stars(down-pour). Also cleaning an M-1 Garand is easier than a Springfield musket(8 rnds vs 1 is alot more fun too).

Anyway, our guys attent a few events every year that have expanded to Boy Scout reenactors, and other civilian impressions. One event is mid October and I think it would be a blast(ha-ha) to put togeather a vintage deer hunting camp. A few guys sitting around in red plaid, knee high LL Bean boots and cooking coffee over an old coleman stove is the basis of what we want to do. Oh yeah and the old plastic licence holders pinned to our backs. Ive also got a stack of old Field and Stream and Outdoor life mags to thumb through as well.

Ill be carrying my dads 1949 dated model 94 Winchester and have an thica 16ga made in 1952 with the old corn cob style fore-end to boot. A friend has an old Remington model 141 but I would like to get a cross section of what were the most popular deer rifles of the era. We go as far as hair styles, canned goods and What Im looking for is some of the little things that really set off the display. What Im looking for are scans of old deer camp pictures C. 1940s-1960's. That we could study to gleen those little cool bits of history that the old timers might see and want to come over and tell thier stories.

thanks in advance.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
BP-B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by inland44
to put togeather a vintage deer hunting camp. A few guys sitting around in red plaid, knee high LL Bean boots and cooking coffee over an old coleman stove is the basis of what we want to do. Oh yeah and the old plastic licence holders pinned to our backs. Ive also got a stack of old Field and Stream and Outdoor life mags to thumb through as well.

Ill be carrying my dads 1949 dated model 94 Winchester and have an thica 16ga made in 1952 with the old corn cob style fore-end to boot. A friend has an old Remington model 141 but I would like to get a cross section of what were the most popular deer rifles of the era. We go as far as hair styles, canned goods and What Im looking for is some of the little things that really set off the display. What Im looking for are scans of old deer camp pictures C. 1940s-1960's. That we could study to gleen those little cool bits of history that the old timers might see and want to come over and tell thier stories.

thanks in advance.

You could just hang out with some of us & take pictures & notes...

grin

or wait till grogel comes along, he'll hook you up, or sell you a book. (i think he put a book together?)

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask the savage forum. They'll obviously suggest Savage 1899s, but lots of old deer and camp pics come up there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But Dave wears slippers and pajamas. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you have to clarify,do you want old pictures of deer camps,or pictures of old campers deer hunting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This was my first buck, an 8 pt. shot in 1951 when I was 15 years old. I used my Dads Mod 94, 30-30. I put the buck on the fender of my Dads 1948 Nash and drove around town to show it off. In those days everyone wore black and red wool plaid pants and coat. Most everyone used Winchester or Marlin 30-30's or .32 Special. A few Mod. 99's and an occasional military rifle. I remember my Uncle had a Jap rifle that he brought back from the war, I don't remember the caliber but the shells were real long and pointed.

There was a guy in town that used a 30-06 and everyone thought that was way too big for deer hunting.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

red and black wool went out of fashion!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have Dad's red and black Woolrich outfit down in the basement. Nice to know Dad's still with me in stitches and spirit when deer season rolls around. I don't hunt with a rifle that was even designed in the 20th century. My choices? A 99 Savage. (Hands down the absolute best lever action rifle ever made.) My other gun? A model 98 Mauser. They might be old, they might be a little ugly from being drug in and out of tree stands for the the past several decades, but all they do is kill deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get you hands on a copy of Classic Deer Camps by Robert Wegner, published by Krause Publications in 2008; it covers deer camps with lots of photos and advertisements from the late 1880's up through the 1950's. About a third of the book touches the era you are interested in.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mean like these????
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome thread. Super photos! Gotta love it!

If anyone in my ancestery hunted deer, I dont have any info on it.
All hunted birds and other small game but I dont even recall a STORY about my forebearers hunting deer.

I do recall Dad telling me that when he was young he recalled a FRONT PAGE article about deer TRACKS being found here in N. IN and how several people got on those tracks and followed it for miles in the snow so they could get a chance to SEE a deer! Pretty amazing when I consider the fact that my COUNTY takes 3000 deer through hunting each year now. Lord would I love to be able to find that newpaper he spoke of.

I'm jealous. lol Deer hunting is my real passion, recurve, black powder and handgun.

Using a specialy pistol and my 1971 Pearson Mercury hunter/ 67 Super Kodiak this year.

I think this thread is speaking loud and clear to all of us.

"TAKE PHOTOS for your family in years to come to enjoy!"

Ive got tons of photos scattered about. I think I'll get them sorted and put together. Someday, somewhere, someone will enjoy seeing them.

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/09/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the 99,as soon as I can hunt in rifle territory again,grandpas 99 is coming out of retirement.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To all,

Thanks for the information and I hope we can keep adding to the pics. I have several old 3x5 negatives from the 30s-40s that I need to get processed and scanned and will post as well. Spicificly; thanks to

RWL99-nice buck did you catch hell from your dad for getting blood all over the fender of that Nash? I dont know what I would want more that buck on a wall or that car in a garage.

Odessa_ Thanks for the book referance Im on my way to Amazon.com right now.

hclark- great phots, 2# looks to me from L-R a Savage 99, Remington model 8 and a Winchester modle 1895, but I cant make out the last 2.

Thanks again to all.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More vintage hunting pics, seems the Remington Mdl 08 was very popular back east in the early days, as they show up quite often in these pics.
The first picture is labeled "Near Deadwood 1887-88"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x157/hhclark/old%20hunting%20camp%20photos/Bearhunter1910.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x157/hhclark/old%20hunting%20camp%20photos/Winlevershotgun.jpg[/img]

Last edited by hclark; 07/09/10.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
great pix!

============================================================

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very neat pics. Awesome stuff. Hunting camp was a lil ruffer back then. So were the men. No fancy backpacks, no fancy boots, no TSX boolits.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the dude camping in the hollow log.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Chadwick Ram....World Record Stone Sheep. BC, 1936.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the dude camping in the hollow log.

His name is "Sleeps with bugs"... laugh

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad had a good many pics of him and his uncles hunting. Unfortunately his house burned in '93 and he lost all of them, including all my pics and stuff from babyhood thru college and the military.

He had some neat pics from what I remember. Alot of duck hunting pics with his uncle T-Joe and I distinctly remember one picture where they were on a small barge crossing the Ms. river after hunting on Davis Island for a week. They had 8 or 9 rack bucks laid out in a row.

Wish I still had that stuff.

JM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
514 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.