24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is one large shank the other small? they seem dimensionally the same-ish.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are the same, the 10 MIGHT have a better finish on it, probably not, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both. The model 11 magazine is part of the stock and the model 10 is just a regular box magazine with no floor plate.Both of mine are in .223 and the model 11 is a lot more accurate.I don't know if that means anything.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, interchangable for stocks?

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried it.It can't be done.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Centerfeed stocks are not interchangeable with staggered feed stocks. There's about 1/8" difference in the bolt holes. Centerfeeds are the ones that the mag stays in the stock.

From the Sharpshooter Supply technical notes:

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

**The best way to remove any doubt as to which generation of short action you have is to measure the action screw spacing.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In addition to Savage changes in action length, they have also changed numbers to denote intended use. The 10 series are heavy barreled in typical military calibers and designed for police work. The 11 is the sporter model in a wide variety of calibers. The 12 series is varmint with heavy barrel.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Patrick_James

This seems to contradict the other posts that the differences are mostly cosmetic.

I'd like to put a model 11 into a model 10 B&C DuraMaxX stock.

Will that work?

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the M11 is a staggerfeed rifle, meaning the magazine stays attached to the action, then, yes, it will work.

The spacing between the action screws will determine if it will work. I believe that the DuraMaxx is only fitted to the 2nd generation (4.275" spacing) actions. If your action screws are 4.4" center to center, and the magazine stays with the stock when the action is removed, then it will not work.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by Patrick_James

This seems to contradict the other posts that the differences are mostly cosmetic.

I'd like to put a model 11 into a model 10 B&C DuraMaxX stock.

Will that work?

Do you know if the Duramax stocks are injected or fiberglass?????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Glass.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only tried the factory stocks to swap stocks from my model 10 .223 to my model 11 .223 I did not give it a lot of effort after removeing the stocks and seeing the differents.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
In addition to Savage changes in action length, they have also changed numbers to denote intended use. The 10 series are heavy barreled in typical military calibers and designed for police work. The 11 is the sporter model in a wide variety of calibers. The 12 series is varmint with heavy barrel.

Close, but not quite. Savage used to call certain of the models 10 the "FP" series. Those wore the heavier barrels and were supposedly aimed at L-E work. That's now called the "Law Enforcement Series."

The "Package Gun" series is also designated as model 10, though, and they're certainly not heavy barrels. The "Predator" guns do have heavier barrels, are called model 10, and are camouflage colored.

Beyond this, you'll many times see things at wally-world that don't hold with convention on Savage's website nor anywhere else.

In short, it's difficult to impossible to determine what the model numbers mean without the letters, too, and even then it can be tough. About all you should could on is that, in current-production, 2-digit model numbers are short actions, and 3-digit numbers are long-actions.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
the model 10 went to steven 200 and the muzzleloader they make the other thing the old 10 were a work gun and keap this company going after the close to resturcking savage went to now look at them thats why i shoot savages and lots of them also the 10 which is a stevens

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
with the model 11 you can go one more than the model 10,turn it up to 11! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"the model 10 went to steven 200 and the muzzleloader they make the other thing the old 10 were a work gun and keap this company going after the close to resturcking savage went to now look at them thats why i shoot savages and lots of them also the 10 which is a stevens"

Can anyone translate? Please? smile

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.