24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was born 100 years too late.....wish I had their experience when it was still that available. WAY TOO MANY REGULATIONS/LAWS now.

Just my opinion.

Dan

FSTF
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not deer camps, but autos with trophies. I wonder if they hunted in those suits, or changed into them for their pictures???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/.../cid_004701c9a4abda182c7009aac462car.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/.../cid_005601c9a4abda182c7009aac462car.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/.../cid_004b01c9a4abda182c7009aac462car.jpg[/img]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sounds like a really fun idea. Good luck to you. Some of those pictures are fantastic. I hope some guys post some more of them.

We are building a new deer camp in Webster County, WV. It seems like over the last 15 or so years we have gotten away from hunting with family and friends. We still do it alot, but not nearly as much as we did years ago. We are bringing that tradition back. Alot of my friends and family members are joining a very large deer camp, and we are working on our cabins right now. It is going to be alot of fun. And with all the bear sightings while riding 4-wheelers---well it looks like it is going to be a good year for bear. Especially since WV is bringing in an early season this year. Should be fun. I am hoping to have alot of pictures to share. I just have to get my leg to heal and cooperate. Tom.

West By God Virginia
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mert Cowley has written a few books on old time hunting & hunting camps. I have his book "Dawn of the Deer Camp" & it has a bunch of old pictures that he based his stories on. Here's a link to his website. The stories are from Northern Wisconsin which is where I grew up. Very interesting & entertaining book. He has others that I'll be reading eventually. He calls himself "The Jackpine Poet". grin

http://www.mertcowley.com/

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Inland I PM'ed you. I'm a WWII reenactor as well with an interest in the old hunting camps just as you mention. Mausers, Krags, Springfield 03's, and Winchesters, canvas, khaki, wool, and leather accoutrements. A few older Smith & Wessons, and a Webley or two!!!! Oh, if the wifey tags along she will drag along her 95 Winchester and her 99 Savage!!!!

Current project is outfitting an 1890's era restored log cabin on my aunt's ranch in Colorado as you might have seen it about 1918!

You should see several of us on a private ranch in South Texas when out for Nilgai! Pith helmets, khakis and the works..... Wish I could find a good "khansamah" that could mix a decent gin and tonic!!!!

I'll try to post pics later!!!!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ill have to encourage all of you to take a look at my book. It is in the link in my sig line.

Here are some of the photos from my collection.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
and a few from the book.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Mert Cowley has written a few books on old time hunting & hunting camps. I have his book "Dawn of the Deer Camp" & it has a bunch of old pictures that he based his stories on. Here's a link to his website. The stories are from Northern Wisconsin which is where I grew up. Very interesting & entertaining book. He has others that I'll be reading eventually. He calls himself "The Jackpine Poet". grin

http://www.mertcowley.com/

I sure do think his work is wonderful. I didnt see his books until I had finished mine. When I saw His I wished I had had the idea of "Historical fiction" using old photos. Just a great Idea.

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remembering The 99
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
oulufinn,

Thanks for the link, I grew up in the UP with much the same type of deer hunting and deer camps Im sure you have experienced.

All of these pics are geat, Im looking for more color pics from the late 40s and into the 50s and 60s. from the era of the old "American Sportsman" TV show and at least in my neck of the woods, Michigan Outdoors with host Mort Neff. My dad and I met him in a small sports shop in northern Michigan well after his retierment, he and my dad swapped stories while I petted his dog.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great pics fellas. Gary's book is excellent. Every hunter should have one.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
R
R
Wow I do like to see those old photos. A couple observations for no particular reason.
1. Most all the men pictured in the old photos have a head cover of some type.
2. Seems like the golden age for taking pictures of hunting was about 1900 to 1930. If this is an accurate observation does anyone hazard a guess as to why? Seems like the WWII group was not as much for showing what they did or bragging as it were. I know the early group was supported in hunting but maybe not so much later and even less today. Around here (the left coast) the deer hunting was the best ever after the war but I just don't see as many picture from then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Grandma & Grandfather in the 1940's.[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is our family hunting camp that has been in the family for 150 years. Picture is from 1950's. Carbide was always under the floor boards.[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im thinking the 1900s era photos are a much larger format and nicely mounted they show up in antique stores ect and hence have become an area of interest for collectors, similar to RR and military subjects.

I think the 1940s-1960s deer camp photos are out there but not for sale. photos of "granpa" and "Uncle Bill" are in a photo album or tacked up on the wall of camp. We still hold personal memories from this era and very few photos have gone the way of yard sales and estate auctions yet.

Collectors get excited to see Winchester model 1895's and long barrled side by sides carried by old men with big mustaches. We are the ones that get excited by the Winchester 88s and Marlin 336s, the Red Plad and jones caps.

The photos and stories are out there.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Cool Pics all! Thanks for the postings!!!!!!!! I can smell the woodsmoke,,,, AND the Hoppe's #9!!!! I love 'em!

Here's my cabin project in Colorado. On my aunt's ranch. Has four other cabins around it. It was once a spot where one could rent the cabins for a fishing/hunting/tourist getaway. Now only family use 'em. This one is the oldest and the first of the cabins. Was a residence in the old days. One of the inhabitants is even buried out back (1918)! Place dates to the 1890's. I am working to turn this into a "living history" cabin for family and guests.
[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie

Founder

WS

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does it have a dirt floor?

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm sure originally it did. But sometime in the 30's (I believe) a plank wooden floor was installed.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Here's a pic of yours truly preparing breakfast last Wednesday a week ago, at the woodstove in the cabin. Can still smell that bacon!!!!! Wished I was still there!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.