Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the info. It's archived now. Just need to find some fancy flies like Ingwe. Next investment is a fly tying kit.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
brinky; the flies are easy to tie yourself! get a kit and a few materials and you are golden...MUCH easier that trout flies, and pike dont much care how they look, as long as they are bright, and move.... grin

Ingwe

Ohh and P.S. Use Superglue or Superglue gel for head cement on the pike flies.... wink

Last edited by ingwe; 07/20/10.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ingwe....question, do the rabbit strips ever wrap around the hook while you're casting?

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by brinky72
Thanks for the info. It's archived now. Just need to find some fancy flies like Ingwe. Next investment is a fly tying kit.

I wouldn't reccomend a kit. They've got bad materials and stuff you'll never use. The hackles are sub-par. Plus, they're relatively expensive given that you will never use 40% of what they furnish.

Get yourself a good vise, a thread bobbin, a hair stacker, good scissors and the rest depending on what flies you want to tie: thread (3/0 for big pike flies, ) Bunny strips, marabou, deer body hair, buck tails, chenille, lead wire for weight. A big hair bug like used for bass, except with a longer trail, works pretty good.

I've fished several times for pike in N. Michigan, and the ones I've caught are voracious and good fighters for a few minutes and then give it up. The only reason you need a heavy rod and line is to throw the big flies.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Good stuff, thanks. grin

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gene L
Originally Posted by brinky72

I wouldn't reccomend a kit. They've got bad materials and stuff you'll never use. The hackles are sub-par. Plus, they're relatively expensive given that you will never use 40% of what they furnish.

Get yourself a good vise, a thread bobbin, a hair stacker, good scissors and the rest depending on what flies you want to tie: thread (3/0 for big pike flies, ) Bunny strips, marabou, deer body hair, buck tails, chenille, lead wire for weight. A big hair bug like used for bass, except with a longer trail, works pretty good.

I've fished several times for pike in N. Michigan, and the ones I've caught are voracious and good fighters for a few minutes and then give it up. The only reason you need a heavy rod and line is to throw the big flies.

Where about in Michigan? If you tie into one on the big water (Superior) you might want to strap yourself into the boat. There are some dandies lurking in the deep cold water up there. My dad tied into one that snapped 40# steel line like cob web. Not much a fly rod would do against that kind of monster.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HuntKY
ingwe....question, do the rabbit strips ever wrap around the hook while you're casting?

KY, sorry it took so long to answer, but yes, they do, on occasion. Ordinarily, they behave pretty well, but you can imagine its like casting a wet sock.However, fly fishing for pike in Alberta one day yielded a "personal best"
55 pike on 55 consecutive casts...busy afternoon grin grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wowsa that is incredible!!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its all in the flies I tie.... whistle

I can "hook you up"... grin

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober, did anything come of either my flies or those extra jigs I sent?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah have them in my box at the lake, caught a smallie on one of the flies a while back. Thx again, it's always a blast to use flies that you get from someone you know.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okey-doke, thanks.
Of course, I'd rather you said that those pictured monsters fell for my creations, but...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll get some pics on my fall trip, promise

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe,that's about what I figured. If you are catching fish every cast, there's no time for the rabbit strips to wrap around the hook though. They're good looking flies for those toothy critters.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, and an alternative to casting is to let the wind drift your boat, and just mini-strip it...I know, I know...lazy man's way...but it works just as good, and keeps the fly in the water longer... grin

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, you sly young dog I thought I was the originator of that one. As per usual you beat me to it...grin

Dober

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mark and Ingwe,
that lazy man's way has a proper term, and is a very accepted practice for landlocked atlantics, and even in some canadian waters with true sea-run fish. It is called "harling." And doesn't that take the snobbery level of flyfishing to a new level!?!
Just returned from Wollaston lake Lodge, 8-days of bliss in northern saskatchewan. Fly rodding northerns and grayling, jiggin lakers and walleyes. Best day size-wise was six pike over 40, all on the fly, and all but one sight-fished.

From one piker to another,
dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WLL--man would I ever like to go there!!!

Got pics?

Dober

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mark,
the place underpromises and overdelivers-- just as a lodge or any business should. It is much better than advertised. go to their website, www.wollastonlakelodge.com Then, click on the brag board. My trips were 11-16, 16-20 of July. Each guest gets one photo per session on there, determined by the photo tech.
Warning, you'll be drooling!

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a kind of off topic question, kind of. What time of year is the worst for fishing for Pike? I've heard it's near the end of July or August. Something about them shedding teeth??????? I fished ALOT growing up on Lake Superior and never heard of this. I thought the angry buggers bite all the time if properly provoked?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.