Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 9-10 wt fly rod and want to get into taking some pike with it. Why? just because it sounds fun. I need advice on how to set up my line for these freshwater barracuda though. If someone out there in forum land has or is doing this please shed some light as to what type of rigging I need. I know pike are hard on regular monofilament line so what type of leader do I need on my fly rod to fight off the inevitable line shredding from a pikes teeth? Thanks Ed

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll try and help.

First, I've never fly fished for pike. I have caught them on spinning rods and I have caught a lot of Pacific barracuda. I never used any special type of leader for barracuda. Just 15# or 20# mono was it it. If I were going to fly fish for pike I'd probably just use a short section, 6" or so, of 25# or 30# mono as a shock tippet. Also the need for a long tapered mono leader would not be as important throwing when heavy flies. That and a streamer fly tied on extra long shank hook might be enough to prevent too many lost fish.

If anyone with real experience has a different idea, by all means, chime in with your thoughts.

fish head

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have seen that most of the "pike flies" are either on a long shank or what appears to be with a joint or two hooks. Kind of new to the idea that's why I'm asking. Haven't used flies for much outside of trout fishing and blue gills. I figured that maybe some fella's who go bone fishing or saltwater fly fishing would have and idea or two.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
PM me
I do a lot of pike fishing with fly. Glad to help you out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck, don't PM him! Let's all learn.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Will this work....grin

Caught with my 9' 9 wt Sage a couple falls ago in Minnesota.

Presently I'm in Minne and I broke in my new 9' 10 wt TFO last night, will get a pic or two up after church. I'm telling you this TFO is one heck of a rod I totally totally love it.

Fly fishing for pike musky is as good as it gets.... wink

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/18/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Here's one from last night, did I say that I love my TFO...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

What a great night it was.

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

And oh yeah...walleye's on the fly rod...grin

This one was on my 9' 5 wt, back in May when I visited Mom/Pa in Minnesota.

Dober

(side note, this Walleye and my Musky are by far some of my best trophy's ever)

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/18/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Schweet!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
That's what I'm talking about. How do you deal with the teeth on the leader or tippet?
Ever try pickled pike? Pike is the absolute best fish to pickle. I have a killer recipe.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive done more than a little fly fishing for pike myself, (some of it with Dober's Rod... grin ...)
First off I use a Rocket Taper Sinking 9 weight line, a short leader-about 3 ft.(#20 test, at least..)- onto the end of which is attached a 24 in. length of " Toothy Critter"...a tieable steel leader just for the purpose ...Out goes the fly...steady stripping in small increments back in...thats about all! grin
If the fish are looking at it but not taking, I speed it up to the point of taking it away from them....
Im gonna try a couple pics...
The flies you will notice are NOT long shanked, they dont need to be, I tie them on 2/0 Hooks...
Almost all are "bunny" flies, and Chartreuse seems to be the fave, though on most days its hard to tell..a little Mylar, and you are GTG...Quarter for comparison..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the Toothy Critter from Cortland..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dis one came over the side on a fly..

[Linked Image]

And closing the day with a pike on the fly ( featuring Dober's Rod... cool )

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by fish head
If I were going to fly fish for pike I'd probably just use a short section, 6" or so, of 25# or 30# mono as a shock tippet. Also the need for a long tapered mono leader would not be as important throwing when heavy flies. That and a streamer fly tied on extra long shank hook might be enough to prevent too many lost fish.

If anyone with real experience has a different idea, by all means, chime in with your thoughts.

fish head

Fish: just re-read your post...my first time on pike I tried a tippet of 80 lb test "hard" mono, designed as shock tippet for Tarpon. On pike #1, #2 and #3, it took them no more than six seconds to go through it. I didnt even bother trying for pike #4 with the stuff. Toothy Critter is a Godsend..

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeepers Ingwe, we need to talk about you whipping me up some of those flies!!!

I'm back on the lake in 3 minutes...grin

Life is soo good..

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

And last nights sunset, what a great night

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the nice pictures.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Yeepers Ingwe, we need to talk about you whipping me up some of those flies!!!

I'm back on the lake in 3 minutes...grin

Life is soo good..

Dober

Dober..Ive got a double fistfull of them..I could "hook you up" grin

As for being back on the lake...YOU SUCK!! laugh

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now it's in for a bit of din din (elk roast that's been slow cooking all day and some spuds...grin) And then, back out to the lake for the last couple hours.

Dober

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You still suck..... grin

Ingwe

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the info. It's archived now. Just need to find some fancy flies like Ingwe. Next investment is a fly tying kit.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
brinky; the flies are easy to tie yourself! get a kit and a few materials and you are golden...MUCH easier that trout flies, and pike dont much care how they look, as long as they are bright, and move.... grin

Ingwe

Ohh and P.S. Use Superglue or Superglue gel for head cement on the pike flies.... wink

Last edited by ingwe; 07/20/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ingwe....question, do the rabbit strips ever wrap around the hook while you're casting?

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by brinky72
Thanks for the info. It's archived now. Just need to find some fancy flies like Ingwe. Next investment is a fly tying kit.

I wouldn't reccomend a kit. They've got bad materials and stuff you'll never use. The hackles are sub-par. Plus, they're relatively expensive given that you will never use 40% of what they furnish.

Get yourself a good vise, a thread bobbin, a hair stacker, good scissors and the rest depending on what flies you want to tie: thread (3/0 for big pike flies, ) Bunny strips, marabou, deer body hair, buck tails, chenille, lead wire for weight. A big hair bug like used for bass, except with a longer trail, works pretty good.

I've fished several times for pike in N. Michigan, and the ones I've caught are voracious and good fighters for a few minutes and then give it up. The only reason you need a heavy rod and line is to throw the big flies.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Good stuff, thanks. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gene L
Originally Posted by brinky72

I wouldn't reccomend a kit. They've got bad materials and stuff you'll never use. The hackles are sub-par. Plus, they're relatively expensive given that you will never use 40% of what they furnish.

Get yourself a good vise, a thread bobbin, a hair stacker, good scissors and the rest depending on what flies you want to tie: thread (3/0 for big pike flies, ) Bunny strips, marabou, deer body hair, buck tails, chenille, lead wire for weight. A big hair bug like used for bass, except with a longer trail, works pretty good.

I've fished several times for pike in N. Michigan, and the ones I've caught are voracious and good fighters for a few minutes and then give it up. The only reason you need a heavy rod and line is to throw the big flies.

Where about in Michigan? If you tie into one on the big water (Superior) you might want to strap yourself into the boat. There are some dandies lurking in the deep cold water up there. My dad tied into one that snapped 40# steel line like cob web. Not much a fly rod would do against that kind of monster.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HuntKY
ingwe....question, do the rabbit strips ever wrap around the hook while you're casting?

KY, sorry it took so long to answer, but yes, they do, on occasion. Ordinarily, they behave pretty well, but you can imagine its like casting a wet sock.However, fly fishing for pike in Alberta one day yielded a "personal best"
55 pike on 55 consecutive casts...busy afternoon grin grin

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wowsa that is incredible!!

Dober

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its all in the flies I tie.... whistle

I can "hook you up"... grin

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober, did anything come of either my flies or those extra jigs I sent?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah have them in my box at the lake, caught a smallie on one of the flies a while back. Thx again, it's always a blast to use flies that you get from someone you know.

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okey-doke, thanks.
Of course, I'd rather you said that those pictured monsters fell for my creations, but...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll get some pics on my fall trip, promise

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe,that's about what I figured. If you are catching fish every cast, there's no time for the rabbit strips to wrap around the hook though. They're good looking flies for those toothy critters.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, and an alternative to casting is to let the wind drift your boat, and just mini-strip it...I know, I know...lazy man's way...but it works just as good, and keeps the fly in the water longer... grin

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, you sly young dog I thought I was the originator of that one. As per usual you beat me to it...grin

Dober

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mark and Ingwe,
that lazy man's way has a proper term, and is a very accepted practice for landlocked atlantics, and even in some canadian waters with true sea-run fish. It is called "harling." And doesn't that take the snobbery level of flyfishing to a new level!?!
Just returned from Wollaston lake Lodge, 8-days of bliss in northern saskatchewan. Fly rodding northerns and grayling, jiggin lakers and walleyes. Best day size-wise was six pike over 40, all on the fly, and all but one sight-fished.

From one piker to another,
dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WLL--man would I ever like to go there!!!

Got pics?

Dober

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mark,
the place underpromises and overdelivers-- just as a lodge or any business should. It is much better than advertised. go to their website, www.wollastonlakelodge.com Then, click on the brag board. My trips were 11-16, 16-20 of July. Each guest gets one photo per session on there, determined by the photo tech.
Warning, you'll be drooling!

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a kind of off topic question, kind of. What time of year is the worst for fishing for Pike? I've heard it's near the end of July or August. Something about them shedding teeth??????? I fished ALOT growing up on Lake Superior and never heard of this. I thought the angry buggers bite all the time if properly provoked?

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
INGWE: could you send me some pics of your favorite pike flies so I can steal the pattern. No sense being subtle about it smile Thanks Ed

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Got the first ones you posted, just curious what else you have up your sleeve?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry brinky I just saw your post..PM inbound...

Ingwe

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I tie a LOT of pike flies. I think the way to go is a bunny leach of some sort with a trailing 2/0 octopus. Use firewire to form a loop in the front hook and loop it through the eye on the trailing hook. I also like to use dumbell eyes on the fly because it gives it more movement. 30 pound maxima is just fine for leader. Don't use extra long shank hooks because they are easier to straigten out and you will end up bending the hook trying to unhook the pike. A short shank hook is better for fighting fish and easier to unhook.
Also talking about pike flies, macrabbit ties a mean baby pike aztec minnow which knocked the crap out of them for me a couple years ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As you can see by my pics I never even bothered with a trailer hook, didnt find it neccesary and indeed where we fish in Alberta its single hook only anyway..I always used just a single cause it makes them easier to unhook and get off the line.
My problem has been the opposite, they inhale the flies, leader and all, and cut the line above it..a three foot section of toothy critter helps that but its like casting a chain...

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which one was that, AK? Was it the simple 2/0 black, the one with the 1/2" gape to meet regs?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The main hook point is cut off so the trailer is the only remaining point. It allows for llloooonnnnnngggg flies of modest weight, short shanks to hold them without the leverage of long shanks, and the option to replace hooks in a flash if you dull one.

It also seems the trailer hooks hang in the corner of the mouth and are easier to remove... The fish come in at an angle more often than not...

I used Toothy Critter this spring for the first time and it is the first (only) wire leader worth using, IMO. I still prefer a simple shot of Maxima 30# or so for leader.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was fly fishing a couple weeks ago in Minne for giggles I tied on a steel 10" leader like one would use on spinning gear. It worked like a charm for me to be able to change fly's in a nano. And yet it still tossed really well on my TFO, have I mentioned how much I love that rod..grin

Dober

Ingwe--pm coming your way

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mark,
I do have pics, lots of them. But, I am techno challenged so can't figure out how to post. In fact, I just posted a slew of them on my fb page. I'd be happy to e-mail some to you if you wish. They are big files, large format jpegs.

dan donarski

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
When I was fly fishing a couple weeks ago in Minne for giggles I tied on a steel 10" leader like one would use on spinning gear. It worked like a charm for me to be able to change fly's in a nano. And yet it still tossed really well on my TFO, have I mentioned how much I love that rod..grin

Dober

Ingwe--pm coming your way

Mark...I did exactly the same thing before the advent of toothy critter...works like a charmmm

Flies Inbound!!! laugh

Ingwe

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ingwe and mark,
i have gone to tieable wire leaders and put a snap on the terminal end for the quick change deal. With regular spinning/casting leaders I just don't like the hinge effect--almots feels like a double loading of the rod to me. But, in a pinch, I'll use one, too. Juat saying...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.