Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BOWHUNR Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I took the trial run for cooking pizza on the BGE this weekend.

The Set-up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes, yes, I know I'm using a Primo pizza stone on a Big Green Egg, but BGE does not make a 16" stone.

Pizza dough from Rotella's bakery in Omaha.

[Linked Image]

Ready to hit the stone.

[Linked Image]

The finished product.

[Linked Image]

All in all it was very good. Crispy crust, and that wood fired oven taste. As you can tell the ingredients shifted, which was my fault for not having enough corn meal on the pizza peel. Next time I will work a little harder at keeping the dome temp up to brown the cheese a little more, but other than that, for the first try I'm calling it a success. This thing is truly amazing!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks great!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been told that BGE's make very good pizzas. I put the kitchen oven up to 450 degrees. You could easily get your egg up to 550+, just like the commercial guys. That must make nice crust. I've made pizza on the bbq grill and it comes out crispy.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
BOWHUNR Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
You're right Rob. I tried to maintain 550, but I think a 600 degree dome temp would be better to brown the top a little more.

Mike

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pizza on the BGE is the bomb. We usually serve pizza in the "anything butt" category.

Try making a BBQ chicken pizza using your favorite bbq sauce with shredded chicken first cooked on the BGE. Add chopped roma tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. And of course cheese.

This one is a winner at any event!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks fantastic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You started out right with a good stone and a nice peel. Keeping the ingredients down will help your pie cook more evenly. Pay close attention to spreading your sauce in an even ring. You can make life a lot easier by placing your dough on a screen after you stretch it. This save you from trying to pry the dough off the counter with the peel which can be a RPITA at times. If you use a screen be sure you gently spread the sauce with a large serving spoon but DO NOT press on the dough. The other benefit of a screen is that it keeps the dough from setting directly on the stone and allows the pie to cook evenly through the center before the edges get dark. One other benefit is that you can sauce your dough and then let it set 30 minutes before you build your pie. This will allow the crust to rise. Remember where ever there's sauce it's holding back the crust from rising.
Get yourself some deep dish pie pans and give that a try as well.
Another trick is to do a free form pie and grill the dough then build your pie and finish it in the oven.
Last free tip. King Arthur High gluten flour. wink

BOWHUNR Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the pointers. I had never heard of a pizza screen until you brought it up. I just ordered two. That will make handling A LOT easier.

Mike

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stetson

Last free tip. King Arthur High gluten flour. wink

Hmmmm---I have to say go with some kind of farina 00 flour for that ultimate crisp. Also I put the pizza on parchment paper and right on the stone BUT I do not pre-heat the stone to uber temps or the crust will burn before the toppings settle in. I place the stone on the BGE about the time I start to assemble the pizza. Too hot and warm dough will stick. Cornmeal or not. Even the manual and Pro's suggest waiting.

Example on the flour:

Caputo "00" Flour
This super-soft flour is the choice of pizzaiolo and bakers in Naples, Italy. It's ground fine from the finest European winter wheat for a soft texture and supple mouthfeel. Traditionalists wouldn't prepare pizza dough from anything else.

Molino Caputo has been milling flour for almost 100 years in Naples. Their flour is considered the gold standard.

David

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks GREAT!!! I made my own dough the first few times but got in a bind time wise one night and called the local pizza joint, now I just buy it from him, it's cheaper than I can make it, no mess to clean up and it's really good.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting consistent results sliding the pie from the peel to the stone. I've never had it stick to the stone but have had it almost glued to the peel. Sometimes they slide great other times no matter how much corn meal they stick. I've been thinking about giving the parchment paper a run but this screen sounds interesting does it go directly on the stone?

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Parhment paper or the screen will eliminate that problem. The key is to assemble the pizza fast or you wind up with a sloppy, soggy burnt mess.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pizza looked really good!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I've been thinking about giving the parchment paper a run but this screen sounds interesting does it go directly on the stone?

Yes the screens set directly on the stone. The beauty of a screen is that you never have to transfer off the screen until after the pie is cooked so they are very easy to use. You still want to move the pie with a peel so the weight of the toppings does not push the dough into the screen when you are transferring the pie to the grill.
If you use parchment be sure to use a quality unbleached product if you are cooking on it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gonna get some more screens and try again. At the beach next week in fact.

What have you guys found works best with fish filets ?

I have 2 really lightweight 20 inch grates that I plan to hook together -- fish inside grates on an XL-- to feed 19. My thoughts---just rotate the main grate according to heat spots and flip whole grate setup one time maybe 2. Easier than flipping 19 pieces of fish and those pre-made grill fish baskets are small. Although, I do have a better "fishtrap" in production. cool

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cry you're killin me!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
BOWHUNR Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Just drive to Casper and buy the thing. It's only money! grin

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Workin' on it! Trying to get the best deal I can out of them. Nothing like being held hostage.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.