Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I wanted to share a very disappointling experience and ask for those of you who agree with me to write to the NRA to get this addressed.
I recently upgraderd to a NRA Life Membership, for doing so the NRA sent me a "Minuteman" statue, this symbol of American freedom was made in China.
Please see a copy of my letter to the NRA and their response which I pasted below. If you agree with me, I was advised we have to write directly to Wayne LaPierre as he is responsible for the sourcing decisions for NRA material.
NRA HQ
Wayne LaPierre
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Please remember this if you consider buying any other NRA promotional material.

Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 10:59 PM
To: Membership

Subject: Life Membership
Today I received my Minuteman Statue which was supposed to be in recognition of my upgrading to Life Member.
Upon receiving it I promptly destroyed this treasonous piece of garbage and threw it in the trash.
How dare you send me such a patriotic symbol that has been MADE IN CHINA.

China, one of our most dangerous enemies. An enemy that threatens the freedom of this country and the free world.
An enemy that has take our jobs with their unfair trade practices.
An enemy the supports other enemies such as North Korea, Iraq, Iran, the Taliban, Chavez in Venezuela, communists in Chile, and the list goes on.
This is an enemy that has made serious and continued efforts to destroy our country and way of life.
An enemy that shot at my father, another Life Member, in Korea.
And you send me a Minuteman statue made in CHINA!!

This is a serious breach of confidence and trust.

Every freedom loving gun owner I can contact will hear of this unbelievable act until you right this wrong and recall everyone of these treasonous items from every American you have sent them to.
I also expect to see a printed apology in your publications; American Rifleman, American Hunter and Shooting Illustrated.
A written apology directly from Wayne LaPierre is also in order.
NEVER again will I buy another NRA labeled item, nor will I visit the NRA store again.
Shame on you.

Sincerely
Vince
NRA Life Member
13388####

Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 9:26 AM
To: 'Vince & Linda'
Subject: RE: Life Membership
Thank you for contacting us.
Due to American economic and production shifts in manufacturing, it has become more and more difficult to find manufactures within the U.S. who can meet our demand while being cost productive. Please be assured that whenever possible, the NRA does buy American Made products. Unfortunately, many of the items that Members want are either not manufactured in America, or We sympathize with your complaints and are continually working to meet the demands and expectations of our Members.
Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us
if you ever need anything else!
Best Regards,
Ken
NRA Member Communications
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
www.nra.org
E-mail: membershipnrahq.org
Phone: 1(800)672-3888

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just curious, do you shop at Walmart, of buy any products made in China?

μολὼν λαβέ
V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I fully support the NRA, I have proved it with my money being where my mouth is. It is my privilege as a member and citizen of this country to let Wayne LaPierre know I prefer 'Made in USA'. It is your privilege to throw stones at me for doing so. That is the greatness of this country.

I did not upgrade to life because they offered a statue. I upgraded to Life because I want to support the NRA. The point of my post is that we do have choices. An if we ask the NRA, whom I fully support (and showed said support buy saving for years to finally be able to afford a life membership), we can let them know that we would prefer to have our membership funds directed toward protecting the second amendment rather than giving any of it to China for promotional items. And should they want to purchase promotional items, we would rather have simpler USA made products than products that used to be made by the citizens of the USA.

I have been to China and Taiwan, as well as many other nations around the globe. The Chinese people are wonderful human beings, but their government is not. They do not play fair, they do not treat their citizens fairly, they promote the piracy of intellectual property, they provide the weapons terrorists need to continue unnecessary wars of aggression. Chinese citizens are not allowed to own guns of any kind. They should not be the source for a symbol of patriotism and freedom that the Minute Men stand for or that the NRA is here to protect.

I have watched our jobs move to China for many reasons. The primary reason is ourselves looking for the cheapest products while wanting the highest wages. But wages are not the only reason millions of manufacturing jobs have left the USA. Subsidized energy costs are a more significant factor since most manufacturing is automated regardless of where it occurs. Material costs are also subsidized in China. This is not playing fair.

After 35 years in the automotive components industry I lost my job (5 years short of retirement) to outsourcing. My former employer and many others shared our technologies with China with the hope of increased profit AND the hope of creating new markets for our products (more profit). This has been the characteristic of the USA since WWII. Americans rebuilt the world after the war, sharing technology, knowledge, finances and more. The USA was responsible for the rebuilding of Japan, South Korea, Germany, France, England. Our generosity was significant and continues as we help India, Malaysia, Brazil, Mexico, and most any country build their own sustainable economies, even if some of those countries have trade restrictions against us.
You find fault that I believe the NRA should not buy patriotic symbols from a nation that will use those monies against us? You find fault that I believe we should try to support our own economy?

Do I shop at Walmart, absolutely. Walmart is not the only retailer that sells Chinese goods. Everything they sell can be found at most other stores, it's funny to watch so many single out Walmart. Walmart sells a lot of 'Made in USA' items, as many as any other store I have visited.

Electronics are virtually all Chinese, as are most clothing, so of course I buy some of them. I choose to look at labels and IF possible buy from 'friendly' sources, preferring to buy 'Made in the USA'. If you want our economy to recover you should try it too.

By the way, Walmart profits stay in the USA. Walmart reinvests those profits in the fledgling American solar energy industry (primary owners of First Solar). Walmart is an American company that treats it's employees well regardless of what the propaganda of some say. I know personally, Walmart hired my children, paid them fairly, promoted them, gave them a chance to be self sufficient. And thank God because I lost my job and could not help them any more.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm with Vince, unfortuneatly industry/government has made it increasingly difficult to buy USA. The NRA hat giveaway is also made in China. Can't put it on.

Last edited by m1rifleman; 06/09/10.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I threw no stones at you and meant no offense. I certainly have no issue with you making your position on promotional items clear to the NRA. Your bitterness and outright hatred is very evident in both your response to the NRA and me. I'm fine with that, as it is your bag of rocks to carry. Again, I meant no offense.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

V
Vince Offline OP
OP Offline
V
TNrifleman,
No offense taken, just passion expressed. Bitterness yes, hatred - no. I love this country and it's people, I will fight with everything I have for it, be it pen or sword.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
FWIW, Walmart is still selling Hummingbird feeders that are made in the USA.

Hummingbird Feeder

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once helped out at a "Friends of NRA" Banquet. All sponsors received some sort of bronze-like statue. Found myself peeling off the embarassing "Made In China" stickers before they were presented to some of the old boys who would have had conniptions. Rightfully so.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This all reminds me of when I bought my Leupold in the metal can with a hunting knife a couple of years ago. The knife was made in China. Kinda disappointed me with Leupold (even though I think they have lenses imported for some models).

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have had trouble finding an American flag for the yard that is not made in China..Sad

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm like most in that I try to buy American made products where possible, but it's almost impossible to avoid things made in China.

Recently I looked at a triangular case for a veteran's American flag. You guessed it - Made in China. I draw the line at that. My military service was in opposition to Communist China. Like Vince said, I have nothing against the Chinese people. Don't like their government or their policies, but we have to deal with them. Like an elephant in your living room, or maybe a dragon. Just reality.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the ate China is taking our jobs and buying property here we'll soon be providence (territory) of China. Chopsticks anyone?

Last edited by RAS2; 11/06/10.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Once helped out at a "Friends of NRA" Banquet. All sponsors received some sort of bronze-like statue. Found myself peeling off the embarassing "Made In China" stickers before they were presented to some of the old boys who would have had conniptions. Rightfully so.

ditto....i just peeled'em off during setup

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I work in the apparel industry and when we offer customer "USA Made" items they usually buy things made overseas because of the price difference. Sadly the majority of Americans let their wallet decide where their loyalty lays.

'Cuz deer hunting ain't catch & release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm more concerned that they support Harry Reid than China. At least China isn't a wolf in sheeps clothing, they're just a wolf.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skullworks
I work in the apparel industry and when we offer customer "USA Made" items they usually buy things made overseas because of the price difference. Sadly the majority of Americans let their wallet decide where their loyalty lays.

Ditto that. I worked in the apparel industry for 24 years, and we actually tested the same products made in USA vs. imported. Same margin, but of course the USA goods cost us more so they had to be priced higher. The imported products at a lower price always beat the USA products. When it comes to shopping, people (even members of manufacturing unions) virtually always vote with their dollars for foreign goods.

Short story: I was once at a gun show working behind a table, and a guy came along wearing a jacket that had "USS Ronald Reagan" embroidered on it. He asked me if the product I was selling was made in USA because "I don't buy anything not made in USA."

Me: "That's great! And yes, this is made in USA down in South Carolina. I've been there and watched it being made." Then I said, "Nice jacket! Is that made in USA?"

Him: "Yes, I bought this at the gift shop on the ship after having a tour on the ship."

Me: "Mind if I take a look at the label?" I knew it wasn't made in USA.

Him: "No." And he took his jacket off and handed it to me.

Me: "Here's the label. Don't get mad, but it says 'Made in Bangladesh'."

Him: Stunned look.

Me: "I'm sorry, but I can tell you that the companies that manufacture clothing in the United States are very small and can't compete with foreign manufacturers. And I can tell you that if your jacket had been made in the USA, it would have cost much more than you paid. I can also tell you that the underwear you're wearing was made in Canada, but I don't want to look at it. Almost all men's underwear sold in the United States is made in Canada."

The textile and apparel industries are almost gone from the United States. And, virtually every apparel company is having their clothing made in the same overseas factories, so that very little distinguishes one brand from another these days.

Sad, but true.

Why has this happened? It boils down to the cost of labor and raw materials. Every third world nation, when it begins to participate in the world economy, begins in the textile and clothing industry. Low wages means low retail pricing. Simple, repetitive tasks means good quality (when inspected by the buyer under threat of rejection.) When the quality is inferior, it's because the buyer accepts it.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Unfortunately, most people would not buy the membership if they had to put the cost of an American made product in the price. I think they did try to get at least one American made product in the Buck knife in their latest promotion.

Having a little experience in the "free gift" industry, I know it is hard to find someone who even makes most of the stuff stateside, let alone at less than 8-10 times the price. Whenever I have someone complain, I told them I would love to buy from an American made supplier, if they know of one who produces this product, please let me know. I never, not once, had anyone come back to give me a name. It is sad, but it is the way it is...

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We live in a free-amrket global economy today.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
The NRA is an organization that needs funding. Organizations always turn corrupt when they are run by people that live on that organization. They will tell you whatever you want to hear and make a living by whatever means necessary. They are parasites to an organization/organism. If you are looking for a pure organization, then look to an organization that is lead by volunteers of real believers that make their living in other ways. Sadly, this does not exist. If it does then let me know. The NRA has done much worse than support China and it is run by a lot of career blood sucking politicians that lobby in the name of gun rights and will/have sell out for monetary gain. When the monetary gain or donations of constituents is outweighed by the adversary, things change. Compromises are made on behalf of selfish endeavours. It is open for corruption. the greed of man knows no bounds and your trust in such and organization such as the NRA is foolish, as they have no real checks and balances. They can simply play both sides and gain money from both. I doubt very seriously that a real principle based moral constitutionalists could go to far in their ranks. They talk out of both sides of their mouths. Like most organizations, they start out good, and end up as professional politicians/lawyers and lobbyists.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was sent a pocket knife from the NRA but it too was made in CHINA! I phoned them and got the run-around about the China issue. So I am now supporting groups that support hunters and who do want to keep the United States Of America just that by golly.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.