Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hey guys! I bought this Midway USA tumbler #1292 seven or eight years ago. Its been run at the most 10 hours total with light loads of .223/357mag/and 45 ACP. Today I poured about 200 pc. of 45ACP range brass into it and let it run for about two hours. I went down stairs to turn it off and remove the brass and noticed it sounding erratic. It kept speeding up an slowing down. I shut the switch off and removed the lid. I always remove the brass with the tumbler running, so that I can easily get the brass as it vibrates to the top. When I turned the switch to on,nothing happened. Tried two different 110 outlets and nothing. Anyone use this tumbler and had the same problem? Will Midway replace the unit. Im lost!
Help!
Thanks for any input or HELP.
HOGBUSTER

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is an idea..

I know it is a bit radical, but bear with me.

Call Midway.

They made it. They sold it to you..

My guess is THEY are the only ones that really know the answer.

Last edited by jim62; 07/26/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks jim62
Ill call MIDWAY in the morning. I didn't know they made such items, only sub contracted and sold other company's items. I thought it was made by FRANKFORD ARSENOL by the looks of it, until I went down stairs, and rechecked the MFG & Model #.I may be SOL! But it seems an item such as this, would last more than 10 hrs run time over several years. Ill keep the fire updated. I may have got a lemon.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Frankford arsenl is a Midway Company. So is Battenfield technologies, Caldwell, etc. they are just marketing brands own by Midway..

Call 'em. Tell em what happened.

Tell Larry Potterfield what you think of his injection molded crap..LOL wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
P
Only lasted 7 years,what a rip!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of those probably 12 or 13 years ago. For the first 4 or 5 years it was used about an average of 8 to 10 hours a week, for 2 to 4 hours at a time, mostly cleaning 45-70 brass cases that had been loaded with BP. Never had an issue with mine. Maybe I got the good one and you got the "lemon". Every mfr makes one of them now and again. Give Larry P and his crew a call and pick their brains. Almost sounds like a capacitor or motor problem to me, though . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, the tumblers came with a lifetime guarantee at one time. They replaced so many of them they changed their policy. I had one of the large models, and when they ran out of parts for repairs, they sent me two of the smaller ones. I am on the first one, and it has done hundreds of hours of cleaning.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ill give the Larry Poterfeild and bunch a call in the AM. They seem like an Honerable party, and want to keep doing, business with the considerable JO. I just want to get a fix to my purchase!
Later HOG!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I must have had mine close to twenty years. It replaced a Lyman. No problems.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one do the same thing, but I'd only had it a few months. I took the bottom plate off and found that a screw holding the vibrator to the motor shaft had come loose and as it moved around loose it worked itself into the motor housing and fried it. I took a couple pictures and sent them to Midway. A new tumbler showed up within a few short days. The screw in the old one didn't have any lock-tite, but the new one appears to have that fixed.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the exact same tumbler, a Midway 1292 that I bought back in 2000. I ran mine for ten years, it died back in April; I felt like I got my money's worth and didn't even give the idea of a replacement motor much thought - I tossed it. I bought a Hornady M-2 from one of the local gunshops - cannot beleive how quiet it is compared to my old 1292. Look on the bright side, now you can get a quiet one!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking there was a safety recall on certain models of those things years ago, IIRC I maybe had to send mine in , anyway they sent me a new one, old ones were catching fire. Call 'em.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Midway must have sold the heck out of those vibratory cleaners.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by jnyork
I'm thinking there was a safety recall on certain models of those things years ago, IIRC I maybe had to send mine in , anyway they sent me a new one, old ones were catching fire. Call 'em.

I remember sending mine back quite a few years ago for the recall, as well. I bought it in '92 or '93.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Come to think of it...I never did send mine back in for the recall! grin Still works just fine, but then I never leave it running when I'm not around...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Originally Posted by jnyork

I remember sending mine back quite a few years ago for the recall, as well. I bought it in '92 or '93.

There WAS a safety recall..I didnt send mine in either, but its been fine. besides the price of these units is now so cheap, I can afford to just pitch it..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by frogman43
Come to think of it...I never did send mine back in for the recall! grin Still works just fine, but then I never leave it running when I'm not around...

Same here. Mine was bought new in about '94. When the recall was announced, I was too lazy or busy to send it in. I won't use it in the house, just out in my reloading shed, and only when I'm around.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,280 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.