Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The question is loaded. It declares as a premise that trappers are unjust.

The word "sportsman" is defined in Websters as "a man who is interested in or takes part in sports, esp. in hunting and fishing." The definition is void of any moral or ethical connotation. The antis would have you believe differently. They abuse the word for emotional effect. "So, you kill animals and you declare yourself a SPORTSMAN..justify that!" Huh??

"Trapper" is defined as "a person who traps; esp one who traps furbearing animals for their skins." Again, the definition is void of any moral or ethical connotation.

The word "justification" is defined as "1) to show to be just, right, or in accord with reason; vindicate 2) to supply good or lawful grounds for; warrant 3) to free from blame; declare guiltless; absolve." Ahh, there it is! Look at all those uncomfortable words that are immediately associated with "trapping." Insert hunting, fishing, Hummers..anything you are opposed to will do, it results in the same emotional effect, which is a compelling urge on the part of the reader to "defend" his or her actions.

It's a clever play on words and emotions. If you answer the question, you admit that trapping requires justification, when in reality it requires no justification at all.

Which reminds me, I still have a weasel in my freezer that needs skinning :-)

Last edited by Cedar_Savage; 03/04/10.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Quite simply, I don't feel the need to justify trapping at all. It is a needed management tool. Russ

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sitka is like that, grin !

Edited to add: I see a 'sporting' element when it comes to praticing and learning woodmanship. Involves a different kind of capture or kill though.

Ethical trappers strive to make the catch as humane as possible. At least it is directly more humane to take a surplus, than would be parvo, rabies, tuberculosis, mange, starvation, distemper, road kills and so forth. Which by the way usually involves greater numbers within the effected species.

I would also like to see some kind of enviro impact data from PETA, HSUS and the other flakes, how many furbearers are 'displaced' by their wearing of synthetic clothing.

e.g. How many muskrats are displaced by snythetics, a shopping mall, parking lot, suburb, office site, etc.

Last edited by remseven; 03/06/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why do I have to justify anything? How do you justify not trapping? Your question by it's very nature is loaded and prejudiced. How do you justify buying supermarket food? How do you justify having a television? How do you justify football? What about having a beer? justify that. Justify buying a cup of coffe from starbucks? The answer in nutshell, because it's fun, It's a great way to be in tune with the world around you. It's a great way to control the predator population. It's a great way to control the varmit population. It's a great way to spend time with your kids in the outdoors. It teaches them to be responsible, timely and thorough. It gives them a work ethic and helps ground them in reality. It teaches them about life and death. It's profitable and enjoyable. If you want an example of real pain and suffering turn on your TV and watch Spongebob or Ed, Ed and Eddie. That's cruel.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by rosco1
I haven't read through all the replies, so I will no doubt be repeating a few things.

There are alot of hunters that are against trapping, I think its because they are just ignorant as to how its done.

Forget the pictures you see of the steel trap with the teeth, they are not used, and are illegal. the modern trapper uses an offset jaw, meaning they do not close all the way. Another myth is that trapped animals will chew their leg off, HOGWASH. if a trapper is having this happen, its his fault, and he needs to set his traps up properly. a trap needs to have plenty of swivel action so the animal cannot get tangled up and apply pressure, causing cutting and a possible broken leg. Any trapper that is not a slob has his traps set up to keep the animal as comfortable as possible.contrary to popular belief, the trap is not designed to slam home with such a force that it will break bone,or even cut the skin. if it were I would have no hands left! yes, I catch my hand in traps every year, it isn't a major ordeal, never broke anything or even bleed.

As a management tool, trapping is very humane. How you may ask? well, have you ever seen mange?distemper?rabies? trust me, trapping is a much more humane than mother natures way of population control.and these horrible diseases will take hold if population numbers go unchecked. As a trapper, I do not go out with the ambition of wiping out an area, for one it would be impossible, two, where would I go next year? for me and every trapper I know, we take a certain amount from an area and move on. Doing this actually helps the overall population, sure it isn't good for the ones who get killed, but the ones that are left have less competition for food and territory, which leads to a healthier overall population.

As for not being "sporting" have you ever tried narrowing the most cunning animals (which preditors are) world down to a two inch trap pan?

Trappers have more knowledge of all game and their habit's and habitat. they understand all game the way most big game hunters can only dream of.

I could not agree more with this statement; natures way of dealing with disease is not pretty at all. There are no "animals pharmacies" in the woods for these animals to visit when they get a stuffy nose or worse. I grew up watching my Dad trap as a wildlife officer. The damage that muskrats can do to a farmers pond is unbelievable or the dmage done to crops by raccoons is equal to the damage done by bears or deer damage. Watching foxes suffer from the mange is heart wretching enough and you just want to end their suffering with a bullet.
Dad's trapping was also part of his job and back then, a bounty was placed on the furs by the state. That extra money helped put food on the table and clothes on our backs. I didn't forget that then and I still haven't forgot it! Trapping to me is no different then hunting, just different tools but the ethics with the sport still determine if we are sportsmen or just another group of cave dwellers. I like to believe that my respect for the trapper is one of ethical belief.

" I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time, I perfer to make my own path."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
"How do you justify trapping"

Been thinking about this and decided I want to change my answer... I do not justify trapping. There is simply no need to defend something as basic as using renewable resources.
art

EXACTLY - your a fing genuis. It is the natural order.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aw shucks! But yeah, you must be right! wink
art (stubs toe in dirt and looks all modest and stuff)

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Come on, be honest. Being a f'ing genius is pretty standard stuff amongst trappers. ;-{>

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have a point... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
well i will not try to justify trapping but my trapping consit of problem removal i use lef hold traps for predators but my favorit it the god old snare they are cheap and i can put them out everywhere and forget about them my thought when the critters cost me money i will take care of that problem but shoo iam a member of the nra and think we should keep out guns to protect us against corrupt government also. will also state when i pay property tax on this place it noneof you business how i control my predators and problem animals be it a house cat or puma or crow

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think 1912 just proved you two wrong... whistle

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ranger1
I think 1912 just proved you two wrong... whistle

Eloquently spoken isn't he? I hope he ain't breeding.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think he is pretty sharp for 98 years old.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
"How do you justify trapping"

I do not justify trapping.
There is simply no need to defend something as basic as using a renewable resources.
art

+1

Last edited by tedthorn; 04/23/10.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by greenbelly
I use conibears, kills them harder and deader, they're not hanging on to this life for but a minute. I, for the most part don't see much sport in shooting a deer at under 100 yards with a 3 to 9 leupold but I do it 6 times a year. I don't do for survival, neather one, I do it because I enjoy useing the out doors.Have you found many full set of bones? Fish, fur or fowl, most all meet a violent death if you want to look at it that way. One more thing, when prices are up, what a kick in the ass.

Agreed 100%. Mother nature is a real bitch. Ever see a wolf or coyote hamstring a deer and eat it hind end forward while it's still alive. And they say a critter in a leg hold is cruel.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Dru Offline
D
I trap in wa, state. Mostly for beaver damage controll. Using conabear traps that kill instantly,
I have a nucence license, But I also trap for sport . There is allot of knowledge and pitting yourself against a very cunning animal that makes it very enjoyable.
Besides coyoties are far from indangerd...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I have thought about this for TWO weeks and hunting is no sport by this definition either, because it is about gathering a resource or controlling a problem. I never had any penchant for mixing and matching mucous membranes with retards but have enjoyed shooting a few cerebrally challenged gophers ---that were a problem.

Sport exists in the mind of the perp.

A little late responding to this (okay, a lot late), but I have been trapping for almost 40 years. I think I may have given the wrong impression. My point was that primal, basic things can be rewarding without having to justify them as "sporting".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great! We both justify it the same way we justify sex. ;-{>

Soli Deo Gloria

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.