Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
Most of you that know me on the forum here, Know that all of my post's are primarily in the Handgun section and always about S&W handguns if you can't tell I am very Bias and strongly opinionated to S&W quality and their products of earlier manufacture having them from the early 1920s to about the Mid 1970s time span, and to me these were the best ones to come out of S&W, most of mine being in the Mid 1950s time span. I have had a S&W Branded Semi-auto shotgun that was made by Howa of Japan in my collection for a while now, so I decided it was time to land one of the very hard to find S&W Branded Husqvarna rifles to add to my collection and to sit beside my shotgun and recently came across and Un-Fired A-Model 1640 HVA action Husky rifle chambered in 30-06. These Husqvarna rifles were Imported to S&W back in the Late 1960's to Early 1970s time span. I think about 2000 is all that got shipped to them, so to find one is Indeed a challenge. Later on, S&W could no Longer get the Husqvarna rifles due to more stringent Import regulations, so they switched to the more Popular Howa of Japan rifles as the Husky replacements.

I Originally found a Full stocked Mannlicher Husqvarna S&W Branded rifle in 30-06 Caliber but during shipment it was destroyed by the Careless freight carrier UPS... mad A short time later I located the one shown to replace the destroyed rifle and hope to get it on the range soon to see how well it groups. These Husqvarna rifles show the Highest level of fit & Finish of any other rifles I have ever owned, even Sako's I have had in the past, are not quit as nicely finished as these and they Just don't make rifles that look this nice any more, with the Butt Ugly Black Plastic stocks and Bead Blasted bluing, to me the new generation rifles look horrible, and give the owner Zero level of pride in ownership of them. The action's on these Husky's are a scaled down Mauser 98 style and were very expensive to produce, but time proven and very strong and durable. The barrels on these rifles are all Cold Hammer forged for supreme consistent accuracy levels not obtained or seen with hot forged barrels placed on more modestly priced rifles. It would be interesting for me to know just how many S&W branded Husky's are out there owned by members here in the forum, so Let's see your "S&W Only" Branded Husqvarna's in this thread and Please tell us what caliber they are, how long you have had one and how well they Group...Thegeneral

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After finding one in this mint condition I think you should immediately go out and buy yourself a lottery ticket! Your luck seems to be running hot right now.

Jim

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm holding out for a Colt Sauer with Smith & Wesson on it......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your gonna put your eye out with that thing...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
First off I AGREE with Jim's post!

I picked up this Model C in .30-06 a few yrs back. Got it cheap due to a bbl bulge under the front sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by generalstuart
Hello
Most of you that know me on the forum here, Know that all of my post's are primarily in the Handgun section and always about S&W handguns if you can't tell I am very Bias and strongly opinionated to S&W quality and their products of earlier manufacture having them from the early 1920s to about the Mid 1970s time span, and to me these were the best ones to come out of S&W, most of mine being in the Mid 1950s time span. I have had a S&W Branded Semi-auto shotgun that was made by Howa of Japan in my collection for a while now, so I decided it was time to land one of the very hard to find S&W Branded Husqvarna rifles to add to my collection and to sit beside my shotgun and recently came across and Un-Fired A-Model 1640 HVA action Husky rifle chambered in 30-06. These Husqvarna rifles were Imported to S&W back in the Late 1960's to Early 1970s time span. I think about 2000 is all that got shipped to them, so to find one is Indeed a challenge. Later on, S&W could no Longer get the Husqvarna rifles due to more stringent Import regulations, so they switched to the more Popular Howa of Japan rifles as the Husky replacements.

I Originally found a Full stocked Mannlicher Husqvarna S&W Branded rifle in 30-06 Caliber but during shipment it was destroyed by the Careless freight carrier UPS... mad A short time later I located the one shown to replace the destroyed rifle and hope to get it on the range soon to see how well it groups. These Husqvarna rifles show the Highest level of fit & Finish of any other rifles I have ever owned, even Sako's I have had in the past, are not quit as nicely finished as these and they Just don't make rifles that look this nice any more, with the Butt Ugly Black Plastic stocks and Bead Blasted bluing, to me the new generation rifles look horrible, and give the owner Zero level of pride in ownership of them. The action's on these Husky's are a scaled down Mauser 98 style and were very expensive to produce, but time proven and very strong and durable. The barrels on these rifles are all Cold Hammer forged for supreme consistent accuracy levels not obtained or seen with hot forged barrels placed on more modestly priced rifles. It would be interesting for me to know just how many S&W branded Husky's are out there owned by members here in the forum, so Let's see your "S&W Only" Branded Husqvarna's in this thread and Please tell us what caliber they are, how long you have had one and how well they Group...Thegeneral

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dang, now that is Blueing done Right! not too bad on the wood either. i'm with you, give me that over any of the mat finish crap out there anyday.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
People actually like gloss, YUCK

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice score there, I'd be proud to own that rifle as well!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SBHVA can speak to this topic better than I can, but, IIRC, S&W imported 5 different style of rifles built by Husqvarna, their Models A, B, C, D, & E. All 5 styles were built on both the HVA action, earlier imports, and the improved 8000/9000 action, later imports.

The A is the style that you have.
The B & C differ only by the style of the stock, the C having a classic style and the B having a monte carlo style.
The D & E are the mannlicher stocked versions and differ in the same way as the B & C.

Again, IIRC, the A was chambered in 222(?), 22-250, 243, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag(?)
The B, C, D, & E were only chambered in 243, 270, 308, and 30-06.

I have been a S&W Husqvarna fan for around 25 years, particularly the Ds and Es built on the very smooth 8000/9000 style action.

I currently have 2 S&W As, like your rifle, chambered in 22-250 and 270.

I have a pair of rebarreled rifles build on S&W Cs in 256 Newton and 338-06.

I also have some of the mannlicher stocked Ds and Es built on both the HVA and 8000/9000 styles of actions. For my $$, the mannlicher stocked Husqvarnas are the best balanced mannlicher stocked rifles that you'll ever find. They seem to balance and fit perfectly. My "shooter" S&W Mannlicher is an HVA action E in 30-06 that sports an old B&L Balvar 2.5-8 with internal adjustment and a dot reticle in B&L mounts. Although this rifle is longer than most other factory production mannlicher stocked rifles, it is quick to point and handles like a good upland game shotgun.

Good luck with your S&W Husqvarnas!

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm holding out for a Colt Sauer with Smith & Wesson on it......

Hello
More Rare Yet, would be the S&W Model 125. These were made up of left over Husqvarna rifle parts that S&W had on hand to diminish their supplies. It is said that only a handfull exist, and they would be the Cream of the Crop as they had the newer improved 8000/9000 actions used in them...Thegeneral

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
IC B3

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am not a collector, but I am interested in picking up a H-5000 for a hunting rifle, which is an iteration of the fine rifle that you have acquired. If I am successful in finding the right one, what is the closes after market stock inletting pattern for this series of the HVA action? CP.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CP
I am not a collector, but I am interested in picking up a H-5000 for a hunting rifle, which is an iteration of the fine rifle that you have acquired. If I am successful in finding the right one, what is the closes after market stock inletting pattern for this series of the HVA action? CP.

Hello CP
Fishing around on the Internet, I did locate some aftermarket stocks for these small round Mauser actions check this out...Call them to be sure this stock will fit the action you are looking for...Thegeneral.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/bargain_list.htm

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
JO must have mounted that scope.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
SBHVA I have been a S&W Husqvarna fan for around 25 years, particularly the Ds and Es built on the very smooth 8000/9000 style action.

I currently have 2 S&W As, like your rifle, chambered in 22-250 and 270.

Jeff

Hello Jeff
it is hard to find out very much information on these Husqvarna's. From what I can understand they made the action change due to the 1640's costing so much to produce. I know the 8000/9000's have a fully adjustable trigger in them, will that trigger interchange into the 1640 actions ? I like everything about this rifle other than the fact that the trigger pull is kind of stiff. Is there any wany to modify this issue without a complete trigger replacement ? Can you cut the bolt spring to lessen it some ? Regards, thegeneral.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a stock off of a Smith and Wesson stock that I believe had a husqvarna action in it. I know a howa does not fit it. If anyone is interested, I'll make you a good deal on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I passed on a very clean '06 years back at my local shop, NICE Mannlicher stock and the slickest action, the action along made me want to buy it. One of those I passed and .....ponder wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my Husky's to be stamped "Tradewinds".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why do you prefer the Tradewinds branded Husqvarnas to S&W or FFV or ??

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The HVA action is easily my favorite action going, but I can't say that I love the 8000/9000 action. If I wanted a push feed I'd probably go Remington. As to stocks I know McMillan will inlet the Interarms and Sako Hunter with the CRF action, I can only assume that they probably due the 8000/9000 action as well. I'm sure anyone that does wood stocks could do it rather easily, it's not much different then a small ring mauser.

As to triggers a Timney for a 98 will mount right up, but you have to come up with a saftey. I like a Winchester Model 70 style, with my smith said was no harder to put on it then any other mauser.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 08/03/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Husqvarna 8000/9000 action is the smoothest standard production action that I've ever found. The downside being that it was only made in a long action style and only with alloy bottom metal. I have 2 custom rifles build on these actions, a 256 Newton that was a 243 and a 338-06 that was a 30-06. At 1 time, I wanted to be able to hunt with just S&W branded products, so I bought the S&W handguns, rifles, and shotguns that I thought that I would need to accomplish that goal. Once I had them assembled, I shot them for awhile, got bored, and moved on to other things, but most of the firearms are still with me.

I have several mannlicher stocked Huskys and S&Ws with the HVA action and think that it is a good 1, but picking a CF action over a PF action has never been an important criteria in my decision process. Heck, the action that I have the most of, Savage 99s, are the actions that I shoot very infrequently, with Remington and Winchester CF and Marlin, Ruger, and Savage RF being the most frequently shot.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.