Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Brilliant. Thank you. I trust that Kimber's rifle making capabilities exceed their website design.

I can indeed now see the difference in weight.

So the real question is this: out of 100 Kimber 8400s (Montanas or Classics) in 270 WSM produced and sold, what percent of them will shoot well out of the box? Naturally everyone makes a lemon now and then, and naturally lots of variables go into real world accuracy. By "shoot well" I mean a rifle that can consistently put three shots in 1 MOA with some form of factory ammunition, assuming the shooter introduces no error.

Is there any other rifle in this category that has a better reputation for out of box accuracy?

I don't want to buy a gun and then return it to the factory a month later to make it shoot well.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bob33

Is there any other rifle in this category that has a better reputation for out of box accuracy?

Yes, IMHO there is such a rifle.

The new South Carolina FN made Winchester m70 Extreme Weather rifles for basically the same money -about $1,000 street price.

In the WSM rounds they are listed at 6.75 pounds- about 1/2 pound more than the Kimber Montanas.

Across the board the new FN m70s seem to have a better rep for out of the box accuracy than the Kimbers. They also seem to have less QC issues overall.

Kimber lovers / M70s haters here please note- I am talking about the NEW m70s- not the New Haven guns.

Last edited by jim62; 08/03/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I would be very interested in either the Kimber or Model 70. Anyone else care to weigh in on whether the Kimbers or Model 70s are inherently more accurate on average?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would be very interested in either the Kimber or Model 70. Anyone else care to weigh in on whether the Kimbers or Model 70s are inherently more accurate on average?

One thing you might do here is use the search function.

There is a lot of user feedback here on the various 24HRCF forums both the Kimber 84/8400s and the new m70 Winchesters.

Last edited by jim62; 08/03/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just reporting here; not offering an opinion,as I like both rifles(the Kimber is,after all, a M70 clone smile

I have had Kimber Montana's in 270WSM,7mmWSM,and a wood stocked 300 WSM.The 300 was teriible; the 7mm shot well so long as I kept velocities at about 280 levels,and the 270 shot best.In some ways I wish I had kept the 7mm and worked with it some more.

New Haven M70's chambered for the 300,7WSM and 270WSM all shot very well;mechanically I tolerated egged chambers,sticky extraction,and feeding issues.They shot well but I am not unhappy they are gone.

I have owned one SC M70 in 300 WSM and used a friends rifle as well.Shot both enough to know they were both easily capable of sub MOA accuracy. One,the EW easily grouped in clusters at 100,and I shot a few groups at 300 yards with it that went about 2".Load was 66-H4350-165 Sierra SPBT with Fed 215's.This kind of accuracy was also obtained with a pair of standard 270 Winchesters as well.

Function of the 4 FN M70's that I have shot fairly often has been flawless.Not a single hiccup.

If I wanted to be sure the rifle shot well, I would get the SC M70,but I have seen Kimbers that shot well, too.Choice is up to the individual.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob33,
I have an Xbolt Stainless Stalker in .270 WSM. All I can tell you is to pick one up and see how it feels. My X bolt shoots fantastic. The worst groups I have gotten were around .75 @100yds with Winchester 150g PP(gray box). My only complaint is that there is a tiny bit of creep in the trigger. Swings smoothly and is light. Hope this helps.

mmm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brilliant. Thank you. I trust that Kimber's rifle making capabilities exceed their website design.

So the real question is this: out of 100 Kimber 8400s (Montanas or Classics) in 270 WSM produced and sold, what percent of them will shoot well out of the box? Naturally everyone makes a lemon now and then, and naturally lots of variables go into real world accuracy. By "shoot well" I mean a rifle that can consistently put three shots in 1 MOA with some form of factory ammunition, assuming the shooter introduces no error.

I don't want to buy a gun and then return it to the factory a month later to make it shoot well.

To be honest, the sako a7 or tikka t3 will likely out shoot most the rifles mentioned(via average posts here at the fire).

A friend of mine shoots 140 accubonds(i believe) under three qarters of an inch quite often. Regardless of the bullet, that's decent and he is no seasoned shooter. Thats out of a t3 stainless.

I happen to like the a7, just as well.

I think any rifles mentioned will be perfect!

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a Tikka T3 in 30-06 and love it. My friend had an A7 and the stock broke in the first two months when he fired it off a bipod. Beretta said they would not fix it since it is not designed to be used with a bipod, but would sell him a new stock for $600.

Needless to say that chilled me on the A7.

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

If I wanted to be sure the rifle shot well, I would get the SC M70,but I have seen Kimbers that shot well, too.Choice is up to the individual.

Well, you made that one easy for me! I would choose the Model 70 based on that. That is precisely my concern: I know there is a risk that any rifle may not shoot well, but I want the one with the best chance of shooting well. I've read nothing but favorable comments about the FN M70s. Good things about the Kimbers also, but just a few too many stories like yours.

X Bolts also seem to get favorable reviews,as do the Sakos/Tikkas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through a very like "problem" a while ago.

In my search I really liked the remington with a decent stock put on them. My cdl isn't back from Remington, but there CS has been second to none, and those short action rems are pretty light!

Not to mention my past experience has been excellent.

Call me wishy washy(as most the time I am)-just throwing ideas out there!

I love that cdl in the short mags. Pretty slim too.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is what I would do:

WTB: Sub Moa Kimber Montana 270wsm. 1k offered. Please email pictures of targets, complete with load data.

Then you're done, and you know you aren't getting a dud. You could pay $850 for one that somebody is unloading because they couldn't get it to shoot, but why roll the dice and go through all that load workup? Get a proven shooter, with all the work done..

Last edited by Calvin; 08/03/10.
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am considering a Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker. Any reason not to?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

All I can say is my 8400 in 300wsm puts several loads under 1 moa routinely. I don't know about factory laods as I've never used them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't think you could go wrong with the x bolt. I have been very happy with my 15 year old Abolt. It will routinely shoot .68 MOA with about 3-400 rounds down the tube. ('06)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Tikka T3 SS Lite!!!!!!!!!!

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I must say: isn't it wonderful there are so many options for a gun like this? 15 years ago the choices would be fewer. Now I have to sort through guns from nearly every major manufacturer to make a wise choice. Thank you to everyone that offered advice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 Xbolt SS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
NULA if funds allow; Tikka T3 Light if not!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Finally somebody suggests a NULA....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.