Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Men: I have yet to try to age any meat as I am afraid it will turn and go bad. I have heard of this, but can one of you take the time to exolain this process? I know if I put a fresh steak (store bought) in the refer...after a few days it changes color to a grayish and get absolutely rank soon after. I get that it produces enzymes to break down the toughness etc, but where is the fine line between spoilage and perfection?

Fresh steak from the store has already been aged before it was cut. Trying to age it more is sure to let it rot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a fridge to age venison when it's warm. It's just above freezing in there. 4-5 days is max. When it gets to 7 days you can definitely tell it's going downhill. If the skin is left on the quarters I just put them in there. For backstraps or other meat out of the skin, wrap it tightly in plastic so it stays moist.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
Lonny
Thanks- Last year, I gave in and took my meat to a processor because I didn't have a place to cool it, and I would have been about as well off to throw it away- never again!

Fred

Fred,

Look for a second hand larger "semi commercial" catering style fridge or coke chiller/display. If possible get one which as a small fan in it (most of the larger fridges do)

The one below cost me about $90 delivered from Ebay and has lasted about three years..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine is about 65" tall by 22" wide by about 19" deep...It will hold an 80lb Fallow carcass as long as the head and lower legs are removed.

The double door drinks chillers are a better size, but check the usuable internal space as sometimes its not as such as the exterior suggests.

I bolted the hanging rail through the sides...If I was handling more Fallow, I'd probably reinforce the exterior to make it stronger.

Whether hanging jacket on or off, hanging the carcass whole is said to be better than hanging it in quarters, as the weight of the carcass stretches the meat fibres and helps the aging process some what. I'm not sure its a big deal, but if you can get the right size fridge, why not?

I should say that I hang mine for around 7 to 10 days with no problems. The fan is a big help in that respect plus, rubbish in, equals rubbish out, meaning its best to treat the carcass properly at all stages of the process, including placing the shot in the first place! Ideally, the carcass should not touch the sides of the chiller or each other when hanging..From the pics my fridge a bit on the small side but it just about copes with two reasonably sized roe as in the top pic..

Carcasses that are jammed in tight with no air circulating around them tend not to last as long as properly hung ones..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 08/04/10.
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Peter
That is a heck of an idea. I am going to keep my eyes open for one of them.

Fred

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah...me too. I like that concept a lot. Would be just the thing for shooting deer/caribou/moose/goat et al up here in August and September.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over the last few years we have been seeing proper "game fridges" being imported from German but they are *very* expensive for what is just an over size fridge.

Have a look atCool Game UK

Prices for are in �� and the $$ is probably about $1.55 to the Pound at the minute.

The site is useful though as it gives you an idea what to aim for and different ways of hanging the animal, plus an idea of sizes.

With a hanging rail "across" the fridge as I've done, it can be a struggle to lift a heavy carcass onto the rail as your standing outside the fridge trying to lean in and lift with your arms out stretched at the same time.

Arranging the hanging rail(s) front to back as in the pic from the Cool Game site is a much better idea.

[Linked Image]

As you can see they rig up a temporary "loading bar" one half which slides into the fridges hanging rail and the other end you'd hang by a bit of chain from the ceiling.

This enables the carcass to be lifted outside the fridge and slid inside with much less drama and no damage..Not such an important consideration for our small roe carcass, but once the carcass gets over 75lb -100lb, it makes life *much* easier and avoids buggering up your back, or knocking the chiller unit about as you try to hang the carcass.

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few more pics of a chiller that appeared on a now defunct British site.

The chiller is a standard single door display model and cost the guy about $20 as it was being chucked by a shop owner. IIRC its about 24" square externally and about 72" to the top of the motor unit. The carcass was something like a 70lb Sika I think.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As you can see the guy added external metal work to take the hanging weight. There is an upright each side of the chiller plus a bar across the top that the eye hook screws into.

Personally I would use a hanging rail rather than an eye hook for the reasons mentioned before ie ease of loading. Plus I don't bother with gambrels but use two short "S" hooks, otherwise you loose too much hanging height and thats a pain with bigger carcasses.

Regards,

Peter

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Re-arranging the quarters every few days is an excellent idea.....something we always do. Air MUST reach all sides of the meat to cool properly and defeat the souring that CAN happen.

Never tried using wood slats instead of wire.....but it makes sense to me. I don't know that there is any limit as to time.....have gone as long as 2 1/2 weeks with no problems.....and have seen problems at just a few days if meat is "stacked" and not properly cooled.

Aging really isn't required if the animal is properly cared for from the first, but it does seem to render a bit more "tender" steak. The idea of aging wasn't so much an idea of making better meat, but of convinience as most years opening weekend resulted in 6-10 deer killed and no time to process without giving up hunting time. The side benifits of "more tender" just sort of happened and became habit.

I agree with Pairie Dog Shooter, that it is seldom in Texas that a deer can be held for more than a day without cooling.......just have to adapt and overcome!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aging also makes it much easier to trim the meat.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pete E;
I hope this finds you and yours well this evening Peter.

Thanks for putting up your cooler photos again, I really like your commercial fridge idea. I keep on waiting for our old one to die so I can look for one, but it seems to keep going somehow. wink

Ours was a vertical chest freezer that the repairman put in too small a compressor so it will not quite freeze anymore. This type of thing is locally called a "beer fridge" and are pretty common, although ours is a bit larger than most and does have a small fan at the top already.

This is what ours looks like with a deer stuffed inside.
[Linked Image]

It definitely isn't as slick as your setup, but it does beat nothing as our Okanagan Septembers are still quite hot at times - +34�C - 90�F.

Thanks again and have a good rest of the week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have done MANY whitetail in a setup like BC30s. About 14 days, turn several times. Works great.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm kinda on the lookout for a big, older frig to help with feral hog processing. Because of the temperatures on the Texas coast, we normally keep deer and hogs on ice for 3-5 days, draining the water and blood and adding more ice every day. Doesn't "age" the meat, I guess, but it cools it down thoroughly and bleeds it out better. Needs to be clean and free of hair first, of course, and not left too long out in the heat before skinning and quartering.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have 2 extra refrigerators in the garage for aging venison,works great

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The club I belong to has a walk in cooler we are allowed to keep our deer in for up to 5 days. I always cut my deer up right after tagging them in. I never liked to let them hang, even in cold weather because bacteria is going to work on that meat.

Well, I hang them in the refrigerator now. I also cut up about 20 deer a year and they all come from the walk in too. I know the meat is easier to cut. It firms up, but I have doubts about it changing the quality of the meat. I certainly haven't noticed a difference in taste or tenderness.

Places that age beef use cultures of mold to break down the meat. I've seen David Burke's Prime, and they have mold growing over everything. You pay $60 for a ribeye but you can tell it's different. It's a lot more tender. It's also richer tasting. I think maybe a little bit dryer but still good.

I don't know what just letting the meat sit in the cooler does. I see it come up a lot here, and other places, but without the specific cultures of mold working over the meat, I don't know how much it changes.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p
I never liked to let them hang, even in cold weather because bacteria is going to work on that meat.
Depends on a number of factors, but the main one is the temp its stored in..At freezing or just above, you should have no problems when hanging a clean carcass following good practice.

Well, I hang them in the refrigerator now. I also cut up about 20 deer a year and they all come from the walk in too. I know the meat is easier to cut. It firms up, but I have doubts about it changing the quality of the meat. I certainly haven't noticed a difference in taste or tenderness.

I don't know what just letting the meat sit in the cooler does. I see it come up a lot here, and other places, but without the specific cultures of mold working over the meat, I don't know how much it changes.

I've never heard of mould being delibertely introduced to hanging meat...

Mould does grow on carcasses hung in a chiller especially when a cold carcass has been washed.

Some chillers seem to be worse for this than others, but I'm not sure why. Possible some chiller get "contaminated" with spores, or it may be to do with the humidity inside the chiller.

Either way a little mould is not usually any reason to chuck the carcass as it is easily removed with a clean paper towel dampened with a water/white vinegar mix...It removes the mould without tainting the meat but I usually take it as a sign the carcass is ready to butcher..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know they do it for aging hams and salami. They use Penicillium, just like they do with blue cheese. I saw Samantha Brown on TV at a steak house where they built the walls of the cooler out of Himalayan rock salt blocks and introduced mold cultures. She asked "how do you do that." The guy replied, "go get a piece of meat from another aging place and bring it over here. The strains get established and will last for generations. They had white coated salamis hanging in with the beef. I always figured it was part of the process.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never heard of that. Interesting.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.