Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My youngest son and I recently whacked a couple of larger boars. Made breakfast sausage, jalapeno/cheese links, a couple of hams and tenderloin steaks out of it. All have been very fine and very lean.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
When I shoot a hog , I walk up to it from down wind .
Good technique.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Some folks are simply trying to justify having all that freezer space taken up by meat that's tougher than the boots you hunted them in. Maybe something under a 150 pounds can be very good, Pat proved that to me but,anything over 150 pounds?,I'm sorry but domestic pig meat kicks it's wild cousin's ass.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The big difference between the two - practically speaking - is that you can feed domestic hogs to sober people .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by stxhunter
leaner. the big boars are gamey small ones are the best for eating. i like them around 25-50 lbs. made sausage out of a big boar once and had to give it all away. tasted just like what that boar stunk like

You knew that many people that you didn't like? Or did they just not have a sense of taste? Or smell?
Sorry couldn't resist. Someone I once thought was a friend gave me a bunch of pork one time that was so bad the dog wouldn't even do more than sniff it. All of it wound up in the trash. Knowing the idiot he bought a boar from someone because he could get it so cheap. And then found out why it was so cheap.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
gave to a worker that was helping me at the time that was on hard times. he didn't care that it was gamey he was just thankful to have it

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
I have raised hogs, bought hogs for slaughter, trapped and kept feral hogs for fattening (don't bother trying to do this), and killed some undeterminable number of wild (feral) hogs. I prefer the wild ones. I would only slaughter sows for my own use. The barrows would be sold and I only kept boars for breeding. Bought hogs had a "taste" to them, presumably from the feed they had been on. I would keep them on straight corn for about two weeks before I would butcher them. Feral hogs on feed gain so slowly that you're better off eating the corn yourself. A good head or spine shot and a quick bleed on an unexcited feral hog, especially if you've had a good acorn crop (down here at least) will give you some fine eating. I killed an "Acorn fat" boar once that was 400# if he was an ounce and I could not taste any wild or gamey flavor at all.

I won't bother with any hog that has been run by dogs. I've had some people tell me that they couldn't taste anything gamey in the meat but I can.

Alan

This man knows what he's speaking about.....head shots only, and anything over 200 lbs is seldom seen unless hunted at night. 15 lbs or so are hard to describe how good they taste. Much leaner than domestic.....

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heart shots are better . And corn fed beats acorn fed . grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaner and from my experience with pigs under 150 or so pounds have been better than any domestic pork I've eaten.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Good technique.

but you sure don't get to hunt as long....

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by RickyD
Good technique.

but you sure don't get to hunt as long....

And that would be because -------------- ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Heart shots are better . And corn fed beats acorn fed . grin

OK! But, head shot hogs don't leave the scene! grin

And we do feed our piggies corn 1/2 the year!

We will be hammering some pigs this year. I'm out of hog sausage.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Leaner or not ?

Does it taste gamey, or just difference ?

Spot
Well, there's wild hog and there's wild hog. What most call wild hog is really feral pig. I've hunted both. Real wild hogs taste pretty much the same as feral pig, assuming they've been eating the same type of diet. These two species are really the domesticated vs the wild version of the same animal, sort of like the difference between a wolf and a feral dog. How lean they are is determined strictly by their diets. Gameyness has more to do with how the meat is handled after the kill than anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Leaner or not ?

Does it taste gamey, or just difference ?

Spot
Well, there's wild hog and there's wild hog. What most call wild hog is really feral pig. I've hunted both. Real wild hogs taste pretty much the same as feral pig, assuming they've been eating the same type of diet. These two species are really the domesticated vs the wild version of the same animal, sort of like the difference between a wolf and a feral dog. How lean they are is determined strictly by their diets. Gameyness has more to do with how the meat is handled after the kill than anything else.

Where have you hunted wild hogs....that weren't feral?

Last edited by Stan V; 08/09/10.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I head shot 'em for years . Then one evening an eatin' size shoat came up to the feeder and I had my 270 Roy with 130XXX in front of some 7828 . I could have head shot him easy enough since it was only 120 yds and I was in a blind but he offered a perfect broadside shot .

I remembered how we stuck hogs when I was a kid and reasoned I could duplicate the sticking with the Barnes . I waited until I had the right angle and tried for the top of the heart and he dropped right there .By the time I walked down to him , the heart had stopped beating but it had pumped a bunch of blood out before it did .

I've had 300 lb hogs flop for a long time from head shots . I remember one that , I swear , turned half a dozen complete flips with his hind feet getting at least five feet off the ground and he was still jerking when I had walked the 200 or so yards to him . He was a " Walk on by " .

I shoot eatin' hogs at my corn feeders so I can be selective .Others are targets of opportunity . grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That pig fits the grill perfectly! That's the best size to eat in my opinion. I've tried to eat a big old boar once, it tasted fine but was a tough chew.

I kill every hog I can but only eat the younger ones. I guess they are stealing enough corn out of my feeders because they taste just like farm hogs.

I shoot them in the head and get them skinned, quartered and on ice quickly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You ain't makin' any sense . grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I head shot 'em for years . Then one evening an eatin' size shoat came up to the feeder and I had my 270 Roy with 130XXX in front of some 7828 . I could have head shot him easy enough since it was only 120 yds and I was in a blind but he offered a perfect broadside shot .

I remembered how we stuck hogs when I was a kid and reasoned I could duplicate the sticking with the Barnes . I waited until I had the right angle and tried for the top of the heart and he dropped right there .By the time I walked down to him , the heart had stopped beating but it had pumped a bunch of blood out before it did .

I've had 300 lb hogs flop for a long time from head shots . I remember one that , I swear , turned half a dozen complete flips with his hind feet getting at least five feet off the ground and he was still jerking when I had walked the 200 or so yards to him . He was a " Walk on by " .

I shoot eatin' hogs at my corn feeders so I can be selective .Others are targets of opportunity . grin

I've shot one high on the skull cap, knocked ALL the gray matter out (found it) and watched her spin in a circle....twice! We quit shooting 'em in the chest cause we like cooking the shoulders.

All American

All the time
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this site has lots of good info on hogs http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah . Hogs ain't like a deer when it comes to body heat and decomposition . You can kill a hog in 20 degree weather , wait 4 hours to gut him and the heat will almost knock you over when you open him up . A butcher friend told me that decomposition starts in a hogs innards within ten minutes in warm weather and 25-30 minutes in cold weather . You can see his flanks start to fill out from the gas .

It's obviously better to get 'em on ice as quick as possible , but once the guts are out the danger of spoilige is gone unless it's just real hot .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.