Hop To
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
All,

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the Remmy 11-87 shotgun as I'm considering the possible purchase of a new 11-87 Sportsman. An alternative would be a secondhand Beretta Urika Synthetic. Over here either should cost me in the region of �700 to �800.

Most of my shooting time is spent deer stalking and it isn't very often that I get an opportunity to take a shotgun out. However, there are occasions when a synthetic shotgun would be just the job. I therefore don't want to spend a fortune but I do want something that looks the part, is reliable over a wide range of loads and handles well.

I've never bought a secondhand firearm of any description and am therefore tempted by a new Remington rather than a secondhand Beretta hence I'd like to hear your opinions.

Kind regards,

Tim

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned both but not in synthetic. I've still got the 1187. IMO it's easier to take down for cleaning and it worked and handled for me as well as the Urika. Both are good shotguns though and you'll probably find plenty of shooters that like the Beretta. If you can handle both get the one that feels right to you. For the use you describe either should do the job assuming the used Urika is in good operating condition.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You're better off with the 11-87... IMHO, more durable, parts easier to get and cheaper, more user-friendly re: maintenance..

No contest..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm the oppposite, I'd go Buritto everyday over the Rem.

Brother had an 11-87 and it just wouldn't run. 30-40 shots and it would stop feeding, wouldn't eject etc. Had to break it down and clean. On a 100 round day, that sucks. But up with that for 3 weeks and traded it in on a 425.

Every Beretta auto in the fold - they just run.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I LOVE the 11-87, I shoot skeet, sporting, trap and game with mine. Its been shot enough to have the mag tube come loose twice. I know the gun has seen 500,000 rounds, probly more, and just runs great. If you have one that wont run here are a few tricks. If its a new gun go shoot 100 or better yet 200 rounds and totaly take the gun down, look at the action bars and where you see rub marks stone or lightly file that spot till its smooth.

Some will just run better than others, mine has bee middle of the road, I can get 1000 light target loads in before it will slow down. 3 inch water foul loads or high brass hunting loads it will run forever. Plus it you ever have an issue with one you can pretty much rebuild it for 50 bucks.

If you look at the top skeet shooters that shoot a 12 in ther 12 ga event the 11-87 has a strong following, although most shoot there 20 these days.

I was on a kick some years back to find the perfect auto shot gun for me, bought and tried them all, but in the end the good old 11-87 fit me the best and I shot it way better than the others.

My advice, go shoot a few 100 sporting clays with each and see what is best for you.

Here is mine in its target set up with custom stocks by Dave VandenBrand

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I swap out the fancy wood come october for plastic and keep on hammering.

Last edited by passport; 08/08/10.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking 1187. Is VandenBrand still doing stock work? Couldn't find a location or address on the net.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice wood. And your shop is waaay too neat. laugh

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beretta over a Remmy any day of the week. I would love to know the ratio of Beretta shotguns vs Remmy shotguns in the competition clays world. The Beretta would be far and away more popular because they have proven themselves to be more reliable with less fuss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Great looking 1187. Is VandenBrand still doing stock work? Couldn't find a location or address on the net.

Yep, 616-566-8496 Tell him John G gave you the number

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Nice wood. And your shop is waaay too neat. laugh

Thanks, the shop is a chit hole 99% of the time.

IC B3

T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for your comments. It looks like the jury is split.

I'm tempted to go for a new Remmy although the allure of a Beretta (new or used) is tempting. I'm not sure if there is an actual difference in quality but I believe there is certainly a perception of better quality with a Beretta product over a Remington. The problem over here is that it's difficult to find a gun shop with all the products that you're interested in on the shelf at any given time so it's difficult to make a side by side comparsion.

Any more opinions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Tim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have the time to compare them before you buy it's worth the wait. The one that feels the best to you is probably the one you should get. They're both good shotguns. I shoot clays and hunt with a guy that uses a 390 Beretta semiauto & I use an 1187 or 1100. No problems with any of them and sometimes we'll each shoot 200 rounds in a day on sporting clays. Breakfree CLP is good stuff.

You can get a lot of info and owners opinions on these two and a lot of other shotguns over on "Shotgun World". There's a separate forum for about every make of shotgun with good and bad opinions of them as well as what problems shooters have with them. Looks like none of them are perfect. The owners that read the owners manual and do some routine cleaning and maintenance seem to have less problems.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.