-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Having heard different stories about the BOSS system and the ability to tune a barrel with the goal of shrinking groups sizes. Does it really work or is it a sales gimmick? Should a fella go for the lighter Stalker series and forget about the BOSS system. A buddy posed me this question this morning at the local Java shop. I wasn't sure about the answer to give him so I'm forwarding the same question to any who can help with the answer. He is looking at getting one in 300 win mag but didn't want to go wrong with his hard earned cash. Thanks for any responses in advance. No tire kickers please.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd skip the BOSS. It's not like there aren't 300 magnums in the world that shoot tiny little groups without a tuner/brake on the end of the barrel. He'll also be able to live without the horrendous muzzle blast the BOSS produces. I've shot and loaded for a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in 338 Win Mag that had a BOSS system and when I was done I really wanted to cut the BOSS off and re-crown the barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The BOSS System can help shrink groups for a given load if you are willing to go thru the entire process. It takes a little time and patience.

I have set up 2 rifles that had it and it does work. If he doesn't like the muzzle blast, he can just order a rifle with the BOSS CR. It comes less muzzlebreak.

I own several A-Bolts but none have it. Most A-Bolts shoot well enough without it.

JM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, it works.

Is it worth it? That depends. It takes a considerable amount of time and ammunition to dial it in and find the sweet spot. So if you have one particular load in mind and that's all you ever intend to shoot in this rifle it might be a good idea.

If this is your "one rifle for everything", and you plan on shooting one load for varmints, one for deer and a third for elk, maybe not.

Get the CR tube if you go BOSS. A 300 WM with a muzzle break is a beast on the ears.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I got one on a 30-06 BAR, I guess it works, I got lucking with the settings a couple of times. I have the CR, and the break.

Would I buy one again? If I just shoot factory ammo, yes. being I reload, no.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They may be okay for the one load shooter but not for the experimenter. I had a .223 with the BOSS and the company did not provide a "sweet spot" starting point. Can't tell you how many rounds it took to find the sweet spot. You could wear a barrel out if you tried out many different bullets or loads.

On this light rifle the noise wasn't bothersome since it was always shot at a range while wearing ear protection.

Jim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just get one of those rubber barrel deresonators. A way better solution

Looks way better too!

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a Browning M-1000 Eclipse in 300 Win Mag with the B.O.S.S. on it. Came with the ported version, and a CR was shipped a few days later. The first year I had it, I didn't have time to load development for it, and I was shooting some 180 Sierra Pro Hunters loaded by Federal IIRC. Mine had a "sweet spot" card for that particular load, and I set it there, went to the range and shot the first three shot group into 5/8", right out of the box. Killed a beaut of a 10 point that year that went near 300 pounds.

The ported version is LOUD! I said, LOUD! For range work it is no problem because I shoot alone, and I use plugs and phones. One shot in the field uncovered will let you know what volume really is. wink The unported version works as well, and as long as the velocity of a handload is close to factory, the factory sweet spot works well. I had a load for a 180 at 3140 fps -- had to change the dial in. Still works very well.

I have rifles without the B.O.S.S. that shoot equally as well with the right handloads. I think I prefer tuning the shooter as much as putting gimmicks on a rifle. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I have the BOSS on my 30-06 and like it. I started by deciding that I wanted to shoot the Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip with 60 gr of H-4350(2 gr under max load), and within 20 rounds, had it dialed in to shoot 3-shot groups around 1/2 to 3/4" at 100 yds. I am sure it would do better, but I didn't think any Whitetail would know the difference.
I later decided to back the load down to just above 30-30 velocities, and again, within about 20-25 rounds, had it dialed in, and again, the whitetail deer didn't seem to know the difference. I really like the idea of tuning the gun to the load I want to shoot.
But it is loud! When folks say you won't hear the muzzle blast when you are looking at game, they have never shot the BOSS! It can be an advantage when I go to a crowded range- after about two shots, the guys on either side of me will usually pack up and go to another bench! Yes, it is that loud!
Mine came with the CR brake also, and this year I hope to try it and see if the BOSS settings are the same. If they are, I will shoot the BOSS at the range for recoil reduction, and use the CR brake when I hunt.
I think it is a great idea, it works, and you can get close to the optimum settings using the list Browning gives you for various calibers and bullet weights. You may have to shoot a lot to get it dialed in, but I can pick the load I want and know the gun will shoot it well. Without it, your individual gun may or may not shoot the load you want well enough to satisfy you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great concept if one can handle the muzzle blast. I own a couple of rifles that I'd like to obtain specific velocities with and then tune the rifle to handle it.

1Minute
IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my experience and opinion, I agree with those who've essentially recommended it for the factory ammo shooter, but not so much for the reloader. The system does work, and it works well. It complicates handloading, though. It's sure a cheap and easy way to get a threaded barrel, though.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone said that the Boss is coyote ugly? Then I will say it....the Boss is coyote ugly. IMO, that's a good enough reason to toss the Boss.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
If you reload why bother?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys for the info. It's great to have valuable data like this. I'll print this off and hand it over to him so he can make his final decision. Generally from the comments submitted from you gentlemen are if you reload forget it, but this guy doesn't reload. Coyote ugly but works if you want to run a couple 100 rounds through it to find the sweet spot but then the down side being you have to do this for every different bullet and change of powder. If it were me buying an auto loader in 300 mag I'd go for the stalker and forget about the BOSS. I have a sweet little auto loader from Remmy and sure works great with the 16 rd clips. What you loose in accuracy you can make up for in firepower. Shotgunning I guess. Do they make High Capacity clips for the Stalker? Could you imagine a Browning Auto Stalker with a 16 rd clip? LOL

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the BOSS on a Winchester 70 Classic and my hunting buddy has it on his A-bolt. Yes, the BOSS does work and we both like it. It does reduce recoil and allow you to tune the rifle barrel to the load you're using. Needless to say, both of our rifles are very accurate. Perhaps the best part of the BOSS for me is the ability to spot my shot. Regarding being loud, I suppose it is. I say "suppose" because I never shoot my Model 70 without hearing protection, most of the time with electronic ear muffs. I need to add that my style of deer hunting is almost exclusively from treestands. So electronic ear muffs pose no problem for me. Good luck on your friend's choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When they first came out, I got a Win Model 70 in .300 Win Mag with the BOSS. I got it to shoot about 2" at 100 yds. I loaded 180 grain Nosler Balistic Tips and IMR 4350. I didn't get a pet load for the rifle. I brought it to my gunsmith and he built me a custom out of the action. He kept the BOSS barrel for "experimenting" and to this date, I haven't heard anything back about it. He's certainly not copying it.

I'll admit, it makes a decent muzzle brake, because that rifle felt nothing like a .300 Win Mag and it was light.

Now for the free advice you didn't ask for. My 20 years of hunting the North Carolina farmlands led me on the path to beanfield rifles. My first has a varmint contour 27" barrel and weighs 17 pounds. It's a .30-.338, which is like the Win Mag. It killed over 60 deer out to 450 yards without missing or wounding one.

You don't have to be ridiculous but if you're not going to carry it, make it heavy. Heavy is steady. Heavy soaks up recoil. I had another rifle built in .300 Win Short with a fluted barrel that weighed 8 pounds. I had to put a muzzle brake on it. Not even an option. Another 3 or 4 pounds and I bet I wouldn't have had to.

A heavier barrel would accomplish both your goals with buying a BOSS rifle. It will reduce the recoil and it will make you shoot better.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have worked with Boss's on a lot of brownings and they do work. You can take gargage wal mart ammo and tune one of those Jap Browning into shooting like one of Kenny Jarrett's best.

God help ya if you happen to shoot one with out ear muffs on! The bells will be ring'en from now on!

I use the Peltor Tac 6 ear muffs.

The BAR in 7 Mag or 270 are like benchrest rifles with the Boss system.

You will never handle the muzzle blast, no matter how tall you are or how LARGE your MAN parts are. Although, you wife will quit nagging you when she realizes you can't hear thunder.

Wear ear protection or wear hearing aids...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes you are right about muzzle brakes and noise level. I have 2 rifles that wear them and I take them off for hunting but for target shooting I screw them back on. Accumark in 338/378 and my trusty 378 delux Weatherbys. I also have the bull barrel 29 inch With gill brake TAC338 that spits 300 grn bullets at close to 3200 ft/sec. Lots of guys move far away when it starts barking. That one doesn't screw off easily.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,728
Posts18,457,378
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.