24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee... Would take a real knife to cut those steaks! wink

I jus' been officially one-upped! wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
How does the Pike taste, in comparison to my favorite freshwater fish, the Walleye? Def a lot more meat on the pike. You guys have caught some real brutes!

I just caught my first Walleye here a couple weeks ago, and fried him up for dinner. My wife and 3 year old neice LOVED IT. I hadn't had a walleye for dinner in probably 20 years, when my Dad caught one on a fluke grin

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pike, IMHO are every bit as good as walleye, provided they are cooked fresh ....
The "Y" bones are a bit of a learning curve but you can get past that.
Nice white flaky meat...excellent done "Canadian Shore Lunch" style...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee... Would take a real knife to cut those steaks! wink

I jus' been officially one-upped! wink
art

Not really. Just remembering a nice frosty morning with Marg last fall. smile

Ted

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pike, IMHO are every bit as good as walleye, provided they are cooked fresh ....
The "Y" bones are a bit of a learning curve but you can get past that.
Nice white flaky meat...excellent done "Canadian Shore Lunch" style...

Ingwe

Went out last night again, got skunked. I am hoping to find me some Pike to eat soon smile. I'm heading to the largest lake in CO next weekend, the big Blue Mesa res. Nice lakers, Bows, and hopefully some Kokanee grin

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pike are every bit as good as eye maybe better.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well doggone it, i just found this thread. We are leaving for a week in Manitoba fitchin' pike Friday. Here is a pic from last year (my brother and a 41.5):

[Linked Image]

And a cousin to the pike, a 50" muskie caught by yours truly:
[Linked Image]
the releaseh shot of the same fish:
[Linked Image]

And just a teaser.....I will be doing this in a few days:
[Linked Image]

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just noticed this thread, great photos guys smile

My one encounter with a member of the pike family was a chain pickerel in Lake Caddo, Tx. He hit a floating frog while I was bass fishing. Didn't hook him but he left a double row of tooth marks in the lure.

There was a notorious case in Lake Davis, California where someone decided the lake needed northerns, and apparently stocked them in the lake without authorization. The lake was well known for trophy rainbows, and there was much concern the pike would eat the 'bows. Also concern if they got over the dam they could make it into the Sacramento Delta, where it would be impossible to eradicate them. The lake was eventually drained far down and poisoned to ensure the total removal of the pike. The original cuplrit was never identified.

I need to go visit my sis in Minnesota and catch me some pike smile Looks like a blast!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tried to shore fish for pike and smallmouths last weekend.....biting flies attempted to drag my mini dachshund down the bank for supper so i rescued her and got the hell out of there.....dont ever remember them being this bad.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cuz & I were on local lake last eve. throwing Johnsons for snakes. I deflowered my 7 1/2' medium Reaction Strike, Cardiff 200, 50# Power Pro rig, hooking up with a 24" or so pike. I sure do like this rig, hopint to get into bigger muskie and pike later this year. 83� surface water. Had some follows, bumps & misses. Good time. Great thread, thanks ND.

GOA
IC B3

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.