Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Just wondered if anyone had any experience with the older Swaro Habichts that are single, not multi, coated. How do they stack up against today's glass? Thanks.

Joe

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Swaro 7X42 porro prism Habicht that I have used for years as my woods bino. I am going to send it back this year for a check-up, meanwhile I am using my new to me Nikon Superior E 8X32 porro for the woods.

I don't have a current model Habicht to compare.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim:
How are you liking the Nikon SE? I know when I take mine out
they are just the best view.

Jerry

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jerry,

The 8X32 SEs are phenomenal! I use them birding in the backyard and I like them a lot. As I said they will be my hunting glass this fall, and I am already thinking about getting a pair of the SE 12X50s.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Jerry,

The 8X32 SEs are phenomenal! I use them birding in the backyard and I like them a lot. As I said they will be my hunting glass this fall, and I am already thinking about getting a pair of the SE 12X50s.

jim

Jim:

Good to here it. For some here the Nikon porros, offer a view that is not available at any price in even the latest
top roof binoculars. Good to hear from you.

Oops, sorry to hijack the Swaro. thread, but the Nikon porro has any of the old Swaros. beat.

Jerry

Last edited by Farmboy1; 08/12/10.
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
How much are the 8x32 SEs going for these days?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello ndtinker,

I have had various and still have one, one of the newest Porro 10x40 W GA, green rubber covered and with the last multicoating lens treatement. The first one was my first really good binocular. A Habicht 10x40 W I bought, used, in 1981. Was as I said my first good binocular and my only binocular for 20 years. And it would be still with me if it wasn�t stollen from my truck in 2001. From then I had 4 10x40, two of them rubber armored and another 8x30 not armored. One of these five was as old as my first one but the other four including the 8x30 were nitrogen filled and weather proof. All this Habicht porro were and are truly FIRST CLASS binoculars. In spite of the rather yellow view of the older ones single coated (made on porpouse to increase the contrast at down and dusk)all are EXELENT glass with optics on par with the newest top roof with optimal resolution and optical corrections. And built like a tank, indeed! And the last ones have the best multicoating with neutral and totally natural colours. Mine was bought also used but mint last year. Perfect! And practically equal to my Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 in optics and I think better mechanically...For me, one of the most underated binoculars and, new, costing at least 50% of the top of the lines Porro or Roof L, N, S or Z.

Regards

PH

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
And, a few days ago I tested my 10x40 Habicht Porro along a Nikon SE 10x40. To the three of us the Swarovski Habicht win in all respects although not by much....

PH

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks Patagonia Hunter. Appreciate your info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ndtinker
How much are the 8x32 SEs going for these days?

There are few sources here in the US for the Nikon SE porros. Adorama, does sell them, and you can check.

The current Swaro. porros may be very good but are not sold in the US.

The Nikon SE is well regarded as one of the finest values of any binocular, even comparing to the latest and best roofs.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hello ndtinker,

I have had various and still have one, one of the newest Porro 10x40 W GA, green rubber covered and with the last multicoating lens treatement. The first one was my first really good binocular. A Habicht 10x40 W I bought, used, in 1981. Was as I said my first good binocular and my only binocular for 20 years. And it would be still with me if it wasn�t stollen from my truck in 2001. From then I had 4 10x40, two of them rubber armored and another 8x30 not armored. One of these five was as old as my first one but the other four including the 8x30 were nitrogen filled and weather proof. All this Habicht porro were and are truly FIRST CLASS binoculars. In spite of the rather yellow view of the older ones single coated (made on porpouse to increase the contrast at down and dusk)all are EXELENT glass with optics on par with the newest top roof with optimal resolution and optical corrections. And built like a tank, indeed! And the last ones have the best multicoating with neutral and totally natural colours. Mine was bought also used but mint last year. Perfect! And practically equal to my Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 in optics and I think better mechanically...For me, one of the most underated binoculars and, new, costing at least 50% of the top of the lines Porro or Roof L, N, S or Z.

Regards

PH

I agree with all of this;the Swaro porro's are a fabulous binocular. I've hunted with a 10x40 back in the 80's,and used a guide's 7x42 a bit in Alaska.The 10x40 beat the pants off a 10x40 Zeiss Classic I owned at the same time. I have no idea why I don't own a pair now...... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had and used a pair of Swarovski Habicht 10x40 porros that I bought at an optical shop in Salzburg, Austria, in 1982. While worn on the outside and a veteran of more hunts than I can recall, they are still superbly sharp and I wouldn't trade them for any of the new models.

Another sleeper on the used market are the older Nikon porros, Nippon Kogaku marked. I have several pairs, and they are sharp, light, beautifully made. Almost as good as my old Swarovskis...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7x42 Swarovski Habicht were my first good binos. They've been claimed by my wife who thinks they're the only bino 'you can just pick up and see stuff.' I've spent a lot trying to match the Habicht. The field of view is narrow but I never notice that when in use. They've been wet, bounced around a lot and hold up just fine. I've found glass as good but not better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.