Print Thread
Hop To
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need something to transport a deer and an elk from Montana back home to the UP of MI. Has anyone ever built a cooler out of, say plywood and foam insulation that fits in the bed of a pick up?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do a search for UtahLefty's posts. He has one he made using those very same materials. Me, I'm lazy, I'd just by a couple of very big marine style coolers. I've heard very good things about Yeti coolers.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
someone just posted some nice pics not long ago maybe the same guy mentioned above looked really sweet

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have heard of people using a chest freezer in the back of a pickup. Might work ok.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have heard of people using a chest freezer in the back of a pickup. Might work ok.

Could probably even fire it up using a power inverter if the truck can produce enough.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
here's the link to wht mine looks like:

my cooler thread

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If it works, figure a way to power it via an inverter or small genny. If it doesn't work, strip out the motor and compressor ect to save weight and fill any voids with expanding foam as required.

Last edited by Pete E; 08/14/10.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It works via inverter. It would be nice to have a pickup with a sliding/opening rear window. The cord running out the side window and into the back looks odd if there's a cap on.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NH K9
It works via inverter. It would be nice to have a pickup with a sliding/opening rear window. The cord running out the side window and into the back looks odd if there's a cap on. George

In those circumstances, if I were using the set up at all regular, I'd probably look at hardwiring a cable into the back and installing a 12V weather proof socket or two in the back..Extra power sockets come in handy for work lights, air compressors, trailor winches ect even when not being used for the freezer..

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
When the truck I'm running finally becomes a wood/plow truck my next one will get something just like that grin .

Should I be scared that the Brit thinks like I do or vice versa?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

George

grin grin

Don't worry, I've been hanging around these forums so long, I'm starting to type with an American accent! grin grin

Last edited by Pete E; 08/14/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the truck I'm running finally becomes a wood/plow truck my next one will get something just like that grin .

George

Just be careful to put the socket on the "American" side of the bed, not the British! grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Could probably even fire it up using a power inverter if the truck can produce enough.

I done this once. We had the freezer in a trailer. When we stopped for the night we ran an extension chord out to it. It held all day easy enough.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is a little easier, cheaper and more space efficient to built the cooler as needed. I use a piece of 2" foam board in the bottom of my truck and then put the game on a tarp, cover with another tarp, add ice and then put sleeping bags and other gear over the top to keep the whole mass insulated. Works pretty well without tying up your truck bed to a big bulky cooler all by itself.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, my carpenter made two for me out of plywood and two inch styrofoam lining all sides. I'd say volume was about 200 qts, which was too big in retrospect (after they were built) 'cause when full they were not one-man capable. Even empty they were tough to handle.

But my church borrowed them every year for youth retreats to go out west. With ice things stayed cold for 3,4 days (with a spiget down near the bottom for draining). With dry ice, you could count on a week in warm temps. They took mant elk home in fine shape but I finally gave them to the church.

I find two 150 qt Igloo coolers pretty much do it for me now.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
On my way home from AK a couple of times I took the ferry from SE AK to Prince Rupert Canada then drove down to WA. Both times I talked with guys that has chest freezers in the back of their truck and a small Gen. It works well for keeping fish frozen when you have to drive for a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two old freezers and a generator works well. We had 5 de-boned moose in these two. If you stop overnight, get a ground floor room at a motel, and run a cord.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I travel doing BBQ competitions and made a plywood "pig box" like you describe to transport whole hogs. Worked OK but finally got tired of repairing it and looked for a better idea. Found a used single lid aluminum truck tool box ($35), placed 3" foam insulation on all sides, added a drain from the marine store and then had it Rhino-lined. It's SUPER tough and with some home made ice blocks in the bottom will keep a pig cold for a week and it's lockable to boot. The Rhino lining is food grade plastic so no worries there. I've since made a smaller one and I promise it's every bit as tough as those $500 Yeti roto-molded coolers and a whole lot cheaper.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.