Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have been thinking of getting an AR-15 type carbine/rifle and wondering what is a reasonable price to pay. What brands give you the most bang for the buck? Thanks..

ARIC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It depends on what you want to do with it. The answer will be different for someone wanting a plinking gun for fun and someone wanting a serious defense/SHTF gun.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Plinking, some hunting..I know they have every option imaginable if you choose. Just they basic gun with the ability to mount a scope. Defense at home ..I like the shotgun with #4 buckshot..lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For an off the shelf all around, RRA. For a top quality off the shelf, Colt 6920 or 6940.
Lots of very good shelf guns out there, I just have had very good luck with Rock River.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Parted guns from CMMG??? around 600 or so, maybe 700... for just kick the tires have not been bad really.... depends on the demands like others say... most days I'd say one of the parts guns would serve most folks forever and most folks would not be able to outshoot the gun....

But as others note... Colt you can't go wrong and retain resale value... beyond that I'm partial to RRA stuff also but have bushy, armalite, EA, Colt and one other in the stable here and there. Kind of hard to keep track of it.. have some double something lowers somewhere too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The crowd at ar15.com really seems to like Spike's Tactical. They have a rifle that spec's out really well for around $800.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=443

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My DPMS 16 Lite Flat Top cost me $709.00 out the door at my local shop. Well worth the money. No complaints.

Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seen lots of S & W MP's for sale around here at decent prices. They look decent to me. Especially with the fully railed uppers going for $600 in some cases.
I've seen a bunch of em fired at PD qualifications and never saw one have a failure.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Theres a gun show here at the end of the month. I mostly see new pistols and used hunting rifles. But sometimes a few AR's. I should hold a few. I have been thinking of an S & W MP but the one I saw had a 16" barrel. Wondering if a 20" might be better? This advise is good.. Thanks.

S
S
Originally Posted by firearms44
My DPMS 16 Lite Flat Top cost me $709.00 out the door at my local shop. Well worth the money. No complaints.

Ken

I just picked up a complete DPMS upper at midwayusa for $535 on sale.. Bought a stripped lower and built it up for a total cost of about $250. Nothing fancy, just a fixed stock and factory trigger, but it will get the job done.. Now it just needs glass and rings...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
go look at cdnninvestments.com

they have S&W guns for like $700 or maybe less!

DOWNLOAD THE CATALOG BUT DO NOT PRINT! It is like 150 pages! Also take a look at AIM Surplus and Centerfire Systems. they wil ahve some excellent deals out there

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got an AD in the mail from Cabelas today. They have DPMS Oricle model AR's for $699.99 for 5.56mm and $999.99 for .308. Both come with 2 magazines, and hard case. They are flat top models and would need some type of optics.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iambrb
go look at cdnninvestments.com

they have S&W guns for like $700 or maybe less!

DOWNLOAD THE CATALOG BUT DO NOT PRINT! It is like 150 pages! Also take a look at AIM Surplus and Centerfire Systems. they wil ahve some excellent deals out there

best deal out there by far

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Before I put it to the classifieds, let me gauge the interest and what a fair price would be....bear with me....here goes:

+Stag Arms model 8 (gas piston!) .223 (5.56nato)
+12 thirty round mags (ten never used, brand new)
+Hard case
+ 250 rounds of factory ammo
+ Exactly 50 rounds put through the rifle
+ I am the original owner. Bought it new this past spring
...just have gone a different direction. Seriously...50 rounds!

let me know what is a fair price for this...the gas piston system is cleaner and a nice upgrade that usually cost a lot in other rifles.

www.stagarms.com Look at pix there at there site...its all the same!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
Theres a gun show here at the end of the month. I mostly see new pistols and used hunting rifles. But sometimes a few AR's. I should hold a few. I have been thinking of an S & W MP but the one I saw had a 16" barrel. Wondering if a 20" might be better? This advise is good.. Thanks.
IMO you are going to pay a lot of money for the name if you go Colt, Remington, Smith and maybe Armalite. Even Bushmasters and some of the more well-known "generic" brands have gotten a lot more into charging for their name.

Stag and CMMG seem to be decent brands that you aren't putting a lot of money just into some letters for.

You should be able to buy a very decent base AR for $700 or less at a big gunshow.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm gonna have to disagree with you CY. There are alot of small un-noticed things that Colt does that others don't. Current S&W guns are better than the first ones that came out and those were built by Stag or CMT if you prefer. CMMG cuts a few corners along with Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS and to a lesser degree even LMT.

Right now Colt and BCM are worth the extra if you want one you can depend on. The others you can lump together but there is a standard that the top guns follow and that is worth the extra money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm gonna have to disagree with you CY. There are alot of small un-noticed things that Colt does that others don't. Current S&W guns are better than the first ones that came out and those were built by Stag or CMT if you prefer. CMMG cuts a few corners along with Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS and to a lesser degree even LMT.

Right now Colt and BCM are worth the extra if you want one you can depend on. The others you can lump together but there is a standard that the top guns follow and that is worth the extra money.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. If a person wants to go full-out, there are guns by Wilson and others...

FWIW I've got two Colts. They are fine weapons. I've also got a CMMG. JMO.

smile

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Like I said it's the little things I base my opinion on like;
Extractors, compare a current production Colt to another brand.
Extractor spring tension, again compare.
The way the carbine stocks fit.
Colt handguards are almost unbreakable.
MPI testing of bolts after HP testing.
FSB being the proper height instead of using a taller post.
Gas port size.
H buffers with proper weights.
Staked castle nuts.
Correct 5.56 chambers.
Chrome lined barrels that don't throw accuracy out the window.

FWIW, I've sold off all my complete Colts but I build with alot of Colt parts for a reason. I've also seen alot of "other" parts that I base my opinion on.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I learned my lesson and henceforth my plan is to just buy Colts from Specialized Armament. With rail and sights the Operator is $2200 but it is definitely worth it to me.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Care to expand on "learned my lesson"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.