Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a lukewarm response to this stuff when I received it.<P>First off, I found it quite expensive. After I read the ad copy, however, where it claimed to be "silent as fleece" I decided to fork out the bucks for the best<P>Well, it wasn't silent as fleece, for one thing. It was quiet, but there was definitely a rustle to the fabric, especially when you scratched it with a fingernail. There is no doubt that branches would make noise against this stuff, unlike fleece.<P>Also, I found the parka to be a bit heavy for something you're supposed to pack with you whenever you venture far from the trail. If you added the pants to the parka, the weight and bulk was nothing to sneeze at.<P>Also, like many Gore-Tex-lined fabrics, the outer shell of this garment will wet out in the rain, as I proved by saturating a small section of the one I returned. Once that happens, breathability is negated, Gore-Tex means zilcho, weight goes up tremendously, and if it gets below freezing overnight, you have a nice piece of popsicle the next morning. I much prefer garments that don't wet out!<P>In the end, I found MT-050 to be good rainwear that did not nearly live up to the billing and was extremely overpriced to boot.<P>Instead I bought Helly Hansen stuff, used to be Peter Storm, which is not as fancy-schmanzy as the Cabela's but is a much better value. I heard great things about Helly Hansen Omni-Tech from some guys who hunt Alaska regularly, and I'd have to say it was very good stuff, holding up well in a Colorado rain/snowstorm last rifle season, and being ready to go the next day.<P>But I'll leave that for another review.<P>The MT-050: It's not close to being so much better than what's already out there to be worth that kind of money. Almost $400 for a rainsuit? It better be great. MT-050 isn't even close.<P>Rick<p>[This message has been edited by RickBin (edited September 23, 2000).]

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Rick:<P>Thanks a bunch. I was about to spend the money on one of these parkas, but I couldn't find anyone who could tell me about it but the Cabelas people. Of course, they loved it. Can you tell me more about the Peter Storm stuff. I've heard about it before, but I can't find it anywhere.<P>way

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll do another review on the Peter Storm/Helly Hansen very soon, noway, unless someone beats me to it. Also, I'll check to see if the folks I bought it from still have some of the Olive or camo available, and if so I'll post a link.<P>Also, Cabela's still sells it under the Helly Hansen name, but the last time I checked the colors were unsuitable for hunting. Maybe things have changed since then.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with Cabela's MT050 has very different from Rick's.
<br>
<br>I bought my set for $270 a couple years ago during a Cabela's special sale. The first set of Gore-Tex stuff I bought cost $200, so the $70 more for significantly better garmets didn't seem like that much to me.
<br>
<br>I don't know if it is as silent as fleece. However, it is WAY quiter and drier than my previous Gore-Tex rain gear. I bought the packable MT050, which I find to be very light.
<br>
<br>I hunt in these clothes all the time--I don't carry them as rain gear to be worn only when it's wet. If it's warm, I will stuff the jacket under the elastic staps on the back of my Kifaru pack.
<br>
<br>I also never had the problem of the outer shell becoming saturated. In fact, when I get them bloody, I hose them off while I'm wearing them.
<br>
<br>When I wore them under hip boots in Alaska, they performed flawlessly. At the end of the day, the lining of the hip boots was wet from sweat. However, my legs were dry the entire day, meaning the Gore-Tex was wicking the sweat away as advertised.
<br>
<br>My take on Gore-Tex is that it is the ideal material for walk hunting in cool wet weather. Growing up and hunting some in Oregon, I have spent a fair amount of time hunting in the rain. PVC type rain gear will keep the rain off you no doubt. However, if you try to walk wearing PVC you become soaked in sweat. You might was well let the rain get you wet. Even so, if I was piloting a boat in the driving rain in Alaska, I'd do like I saw many do--wear heavy PVC type rain gear. I don't think Gore-Tex will hold up under heavy driving rain. Then again, that's not what it does best.
<br>
<br>For stationary hunting in heavy rain--PVC or a similar product is probably the best.
<br>
<br>For hunting in cold dry temps, fleece is probably a better choice.
<br>
<br>However, if you are walk hunting in cool rainy weather, Gore-Tex is the best choice.
<br>
<br>I personally think Cabela's MT050 to be the best Gore-Tex stuff out there (so far). It is quiet enough to walk in, keeps you dry in the rain, and is very durable.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm with Rick, returned mine along with the Jokes Browning tries to pass off as hunting wear suitable for a wet climate.
<br>
<br>They do get ridiculously wet, and gore-tex is no longer the best membrane material... just wish I could remember the name of the other stuff off the top of my head...
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art,
<br>
<br>Not intending to get into a p---ing contest, just geniunely curious. Under what conditions did the MT050 get you wet?
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blaine
<br>Wore them in a light but steady drizzle for about a 10 mile walk in on a sheep hunt in the Chugach Range, right behind Anchorage. I was thoroughly soaked, inside and out. The next day broke clear, but the stuff never did dry out for the entire week I was in there, even though it did not rain again.
<br>
<br>Drying conditions were better than usual I would say, and the extreme weight of the stuff was unreal, particularly when the other guys rain gear was long dry...
<br>
<br>Once it gets soaked, Gore-tex is no longer breathing as the frank water plugs the little holes;-)
<br>
<br>The stuff I use is Tundra Fleece from Boondocks sporting goods in Eagle River. I have used it for about 4 years and would replace it immediately, if I lost it, with the exact same thing. Something I cannot say about everything I have ever bought. I will grant that it gets heavier than I would like, and dries slower than I would like, but mine has seen some incredibly severe service and it has made me a total convert.
<br>art
<br>

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art,
<br>
<br>Does Tundra Fleece have some sort of waterproof, breathable memberane?
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blaine
<br>Yup. It is made on contract for Boondocks, from fabric that they contract to have made up. It is a fleece layer outside, a woven nylon inside with a membrane between.
<br>
<br>Still cannot remember the name of the membrane they use. Gore-tex was the first and spends the most on advertising, but have not been the best for a very long time.
<br>
<br>I have tried several times with varoius Gore-tex products and won't bother to try again...
<br>art

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is Tundra Fleece available on line?

Rick

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
907-694-2229 is the phone number for Boondock's sporting goods. They are a small outfit, no web site that I am aware of and do not even accept credit cards. I would expect that they are willing to mail the fleece out.
<br>
<br>Don Hanks is the owner and is usually in, and will answer questions you might have.
<br>art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add me to the less than satisfied list with the MT050. I've had it a couple years now and it's left me wet more than once. Do you think Cabela's would still take it back even after a couple years? Probably not, but I can say it's not as good as they want you to believe it is. The one thing it does do pretty well though is keep the wind out. Sitka tell me more about that fleece stuff of yours. Does that keep you dry in a classic Alaskan down pour?

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky
<br>Had three guys in a boat, BAD, BAD blow came on quickly, had to run the long way back behind an island to even reach the "mother ship." Horizontal sleet/snow, technical name is graupel, hurt bad, as I had ti face the weather to get us out.
<br>
<br>Two of us had full Tundra Fleece, and were 100% dry and warm enough. One was half TF, half Helley and did ok, but was getting real cold by the time we got back and had taken enough saltwater and rain down the neck that he was soaked. The last had a light rain gear outfit over mixed fleece and cotton. He was soaked to the bone and starting to get into trouble.
<br>
<br>That was the best test I can imagine for rain gear, and I considered it a complete pass. Internal moisture and the water taken down the neck evaporated quickly, and the rest did exactly as it should. I'm sold on it.
<br>art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitkadeer, approximately how much does that TF stuff run for a jacket and pants? Do you have a jacket or more of a parka?

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky
<br>The jacket is more of a parka, cut real loose in the chest for optics, etc, but it is not insulated. I am wearing it in the oryx pic, and the deer photos I sent you. They have limited camo colors and sometimes they do a run of solids.
<br>
<br>I believe the price is about 140 for the pants and about 250 for the jacket. Could be off by a bit on the coat, but fairly sure on the pants price. Would be happy to do what I can to get you some if you like. Don guarantees them 100%, so you can try them and send them back if they fail for you.
<br>art

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 22250rem, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,241
Posts18,466,784
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.