Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#43422 01/30/01
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody know anything about them? I am going to be getting some for a new boat and don't have a clue what to look for or consider. Sorry that is such a general plea for help, but I appreciate all input!<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am beginning to suspect that nobody checks this forum too much....<P>Wade<BR>

Wade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
send Joe Cabela an email, he is the downrigger man. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waders,<P>Your right, this is the first time I've checked down here!<P>Anyhow, most the charter guys around here like Scotty's downriggers. I think it's the lifetime warranty.<P>I noticed Cabelas is having a good sale on some electric Scotty downriggers. Somwhere around $270 if I recall correctly. That's a good deal.<P>What kind of boat are you buying?<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BW,<P>I just got a 19' Wooldridge SUV with a 150hp jet. I will be using the downriggers mostly for landlocked salmon in a local lake.<P>Wade

Wade

IC B2

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waders,<BR>Guess what I have on the shelf in the store??<BR>Invader down riggers!Cheap too!<BR>Look for enough boom to clear the transom but short enough to get a handle on the cable to attach cannon balls and lines in the release.<BR>I like the QD bases so the 'rigger can be detached and stored seperately,and so when we pull into a gas dock when the waters low the 'rigger dosn't get smashed against the dock.<BR>Telescoping booms on a swivel QD base are cool!<BR>A line counter is a must so you can keep track of depth without counting revolutions by hand.<BR>Positive stops for the take up reel are also a must,the simpler the better.<BR>Invader,and Big John make the best in my opinion.I like the Big John Electric better than the invader because of the sheer pin vs suicide gears issue.<BR>For Manuals the Invaders get the nod from me.<BR>Every stinkin' power boat except for the skidraggers has a downrigger on it here.<BR>Matter of fact Invader is made here in Holland and Grand rapids Mich.<BR>I think they have a web site."Invader Magnadyne" is their proper name.They also do "Northport nailer" spoons."Monkey puke" and "Kervorkian" are my favorites for grease balls and Coho.Kings seem to like the green/hammered silver around here.<BR>Tell ya what.Give my partner Steve a call at the store tomorrow and see what kind of a deal he can put together for ya.<BR>We have 3 models on display that aren't going anywhere and are in the way of Pizza operations.We also need to blow out some 600 Northport Nailers still.Steve is a bigtime big lake weenie and set you straighter than I can.You still got the number??<BR>Pat

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pat-<P>You are the man! No, I don't think I have the number. Tried to find your website and couldn't find that either. What's the phone#? It'd be a pleasure to do business with you again!<P>Wade

Wade

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waders,<BR>1-888-811-9039.<BR>I wont be there most of the time anymore as the Nuke plant is getting most of my attention for a while,and then the shop full of stuff to fix calls.But like I said,talk to Steve.You may have to put together a transom board,mount system,I dunno,it's been years since I have kept up with boat models.<BR>Still,The QD bases with locking swivels rule!<BR>That way you can do 2 inboard,2 outboard,and have clearence for highlines on dipseys or planer boards.Heck Bubba come visit and we will edumacate ya on how to catch them fish!<BR>Steve will hook you up.Oh the web site is <A HREF="http://www.sandbsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.sandbsports.com</A> or just hit me with an E-mail if ya need.Do you have line counter reels to stagger your spread?Think Okuma!<BR>If you need a spare winch it's on your pole!<BR>Cheers!E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I use the electric Scotty downrigger. I have used several different brands, Scottys are stronger, faster, simpler, more reliable. You can use heavy balls with the Scotty, you hit that switch, and it yanks it up fast, and it's out of your way. Some of them are still coming up while the fish is next to the boat. Not good. IMO Scottys are the best....pooch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waders - My fishing partner works for Computrol (associated with Cannon Downriggers) and we have fished a few times with them off the company boat along with all the associated electronics. There are all sorts of new options available like bottom tracking, power retrieve, and many others detailed in the literture. We generally use them to maintain our lures around the thermoclines. Here in Idaho they are not so much fun to use since the fish here are small and the set up tends to take the fight out of them. The forward momentum of the boat along with dragging them to the surface take most of the fight out of them. Although you can catch a lot of fish with the setup. One of the toughest task, for me, is setting the release clips. They need to be set just right to break free at the bite. Surgical tubing type clips work well for us. Good luck and good fish.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.