Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

For horses and such what type of rope do you use and why.

Spot

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hemp. Once it gest it's intial stretch out,it's done,.Synthetic ( nylon and the like) keeps on stretching.Particularly bad when you lash a pack down and have to stop in a mile to retighten it
If it breaks, hemp can be spliced and you can put a nice crown knot ot back splice a loop into an end. Nylon, all you can do is burn and melt the ends.
Hemp is easier to untie as the nylon will stretch and get so tight a knot is impossible to undo.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nylon, all you can do is burn and melt the ends.

True, if it's braided.

Twisted and double braid can be spliced.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use nylon because that's what is available.

7/16 x 12' double braid boat line makes a nice training lead.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been buying static line that the mountain climbers use. No stretch. I found some the local sherrifs dept trains with and they only use it a few times. Great for lead ropes and lash ropes on packsaddles. Manila is good rope but hard on your hands.
Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by azrancher
I've been buying static line that the mountain climbers use. No stretch. I found some the local sherrifs dept trains with and they only use it a few times. Great for lead ropes and lash ropes on packsaddles. Manila is good rope but hard on your hands.
Fred

+1

Static line is gold!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do use a non man rated line that is about indentical to static line for lead ropes and such. Also use it as a high line, but I have to use a small com-a-long at one end of the hgh lineto keep it taut. I still prefer the hemp for lash ropes and tent guy ropes

With one mule,I need to use chain when I am out hunting.She chews lead ropes like they are candy. More than once I have come back and found her grazing around the other mules, with a foot of lead rope attached.

I have tried the no chew stuff, chili powder and tabasco on them with out much luck. She doesn't mind them. Me, I foregt it is on the lead rope and handle it when it's wet. Then I go to take a whiz with that stuff on my hands and end up junmping around like turpentined cat from that stuff getting trasnferred on to my ******. YEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/08/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't like syn. ropes because they tend to slip, at least older ones.

Hemp's getting tough to find.

Spot

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thats a good one saddlesore. I'm a died in the wool chili eater and i've had a few issues myself. Rubbing your eye or picking your nose can be painful. I ground up some chiltipins between my thumb and forefinger to put on my menudo and when i went to pee it lit me up so bad i thought i might need medical attention. Washing just makes it worse.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our party has pretty well gone synthetic, mostly with line that can be braided or spliced. A lot of slippage issues can be solved by using knots appropriate to ones material. If one can get past the classic 7 or 8 BoyScout knots and into an advanced knot tying book, he can yank rigs out of the mud and still untie his lines with ease. There are some mighty fine knots out there that have only been around for 6 or 8 years. Many are specific to ones material.

As to tight highlines if one has strecthy material, one can thoroughly wet his lines and easily end up with bowstring tight rigging as it dries.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
1minute.You can't get that bow line tight with 6 mules pulling in 6 directions at once. BTDT

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use syn hemp rope . it is slick when first used then breaks in and looks like hemp without the stickers. No stretch and you can splice it and braide it like hemp. Last longer too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A very good place to order rope and rope splicing material from is WesSpur.com . If you keep an eye on their "Clearance Rope" section you can get short pieces for a lot of savings over the normal price.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The stickers in hemp rope can be take care of by passing overrit witha propane torch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not too many llama people here, but for the record...
I don't need a tight highline. I use a line lying on the ground and it doesn't need to be very tight because llamas won't fight it. I put some o-rings in it for lead ties. If the llamas get tangled, they'll just stand still and get themselves untangled. I need rope that's very visible so I don't trip over it. Plus, it needs to be very water resistant since it lies on the ground.

You can spend $10 for those fancy tie rings that can be put anywhere in a line, but a 3" o-ring costs under $1 and works just as well. Welding a big nail or steel rod across it helps keep it in place a little better but it's not necessary.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What do you use then?

Yellow polypro?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A local store carries some kind of braided rope in multi colors. It's not labeled as to content but it has plenty of strength for my needs. 3/8" is about $15/100' and 1/2" is about $18. I have a couple 100' lengths that I can use for many different things. It also holds knots very well and proper knots can be easily untied.

I also use it to catch the buggers. I have a small catch pen to run them into, but they don't herd. They scatter. So, I tie one end of a 100' rope on a gatepost of the pen and string it out to the middle of the pasture. I work them between the rope and the fence, then pull it tight so it's about 4' off the ground. Then I walk to the fence and start reeling it in as I push them into the corral. If they try to duck under the rope, I just give it a flip and they back off. Works like a charm.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rock Chuck. If they are so hard to coral at home how are they once you get on the trail?. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some people with experienced animals can bell 1 llama let them run, but I can't. Imprinted llamas can be caught in the open, but not mine. I'm new at this and haven't raised any from scratch yet to get them imprinted (2 in the oven right now, though). I've bought all I have right now and only 1 will let me get real close. Typically they'll let you get up to a couple feet away and they take off.

If you want a challenge, try roping one. Those long necks and small heads appear to be a good target for a loop, but DANG they can move them fast. The head will be down to knee high long before the loop gets there. I guess that's why the South American gauchos invented the bola.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rock Chuck Thanks for the come back. I have a million ?'s on llamas. 4 example how much can a
large average llama carry comfortably for several days. How about
food for them along the trail. If you wish we can take this private by responding by pm, your call. I have alway been fascinated by them as pack animals. Are lions a bigger problem
with llamas than horses or mules also maybe wolves? Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

390 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.