Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I keep hearing that Winchester only produces 7x57 brass on a "seasonal run". Does anyone here have a clue as to when that might be? Is that yearly, every-other year, once a decade..... Everyone gripes about Remington brass quality, Norma is too soft and too costly, PPU can have issues, no Lapua available, no RWS that I can find, Federal brass is too soft, reforming is a hassle. Maybe I should just sell my 7x57 shocked .

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Winchester/Olin lists it as their product # WSC7MMAU.

You might try calling Olin in East Alton, IL, and asking them directly. I don't know if this will get you directly to customer service, but 618-258-2000 should get your foot in the door.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can you get W-W 8x57 easier?

1 pass thru a neck of FL sizer and you're GTG.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You might try calling Olin in East Alton, IL, and asking them directly.

Jeff

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago - no response.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So, what's wrong with Remington brass? I can't see much difference between Remington and Winchester.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If you have a Walmart near you check with them. They ordered 7x57 winchester brass in for me. Just took a couple of days and it was very competitively priced.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldRooster
If you have a Walmart near you check with them. They ordered 7x57 winchester brass in for me. Just took a couple of days and it was very competitively priced.

When did they do this? Recently?

As far as Remington brass, I keep hearing the quality is just poor. BTW, I have a Border Patrol friend that won't use or buy Remington ammo because it is of such poor quality and he has unused boxes of issue ammo in which the cases are already split! Cool...., pre-split cases!!! I don't use Remington anything personally.

Thanks,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bristecd, I understand your concern, brass isn't cheap and it's a bummer to get stuck with a bad lot of brass. It's just I reload for a variety of rounds, including the 7x57mm, and I've not seen that Remington is any better or worse that Winchester. I wouldn't be afraid of it if you can't find your first choice. Good luck.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have had fine luck with Remington 7x57 brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Last year. Let me know if you're having a problem rounding up the brass you need. I'll go to Wallyworld and see if it's still available. Things may be different from store to store. It comes in lots of 50. Let me know what you need and I'll order it in. If they have Rem brass instead of Win, is that ok with you? I have not had problems with Rem brass in 6.5x55 or 30-06.
7x57 brass should not be an ongoing problem. It's pretty common and very popular.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Last year. Let me know if you're having a problem rounding up the brass you need. I'll go to Wallyworld and see if it's still available. Things may be different from store to store. It comes in lots of 50. Let me know what you need and I'll order it in. If they have Rem brass instead of Win, is that ok with you? I have not had problems with Rem brass in 6.5x55 or 30-06.
7x57 brass should not be an ongoing problem. It's pretty common and very popular.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
OldRooster, would you mind asking your local Walmart store if they have or can get Winchester 7x57 brass. I just came from 2 Walmarts here and all I got was a blank stare at both stores and something mumbled in Spanish.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Glad to do it. They've been real easy about getting brass, bullets, powder, etc. I'll get with you as soon as I know.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
BRISTEDCD - Here's what I found out about the Win 7x57 brass... The Wallyworld supplier is changing things around and we will not be able to order reloading supplies as we have in the past. PITA. Rem is out there but with funky reviews. Prvi Partizan is very good, uniform European brass that is available at reasonable prices. Excellent reviews from users. Here's a link for some:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184534430

I have one more place to try that I've used locally. If I have any luck I'll let you know.

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you can neck up 257 Roberts or 6mm Rem brass also to use in the 7 x 57.... or trim down some other brass you may like...

I have necked down and formed 7 x 57 out of Win 280 Rem Nickel brass...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Should you decide to utilise cases such as .270 win etc, you will find it a boon to rough trim with an angle grinder fitted with a 1mm stainless cutting wheel.......it takes about ten minutes to rough trim 300 cases.

This saves sitting for hours with a trimmer.....just final trim when you have annealed and done the necks on your Marquart.

I managed to pick up three hundred new RWS cases for a dollar each....and around seven hundred once fired Winchester .270 cases for free, so I am right for a while.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have had fine luck with Remington 7x57 brass.

x2 ....... I've never had any serious problems with any Remington brass I've used.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, I guess it looks like Remington may get the nod after all. Forming cases doesn't sound like much fun and reloading isn't supposed to be a chore! BTW, do they even still make the Marquart neck turner?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mine is from the 70's....I just use K&M spuds on it.

I am one of those Gentlemen for whom the Remington brass has fallen short of expectations.....I purchased a bulk lot of five hundred .223 some years ago, and had considerable problems with same....some short...some with solid head under size, and some that mixed these attributes....the later were extremely exciting at the time.

Whilst Remington may possibly have remedied this......I shall not trust my eyes to the experience again, as once was enough.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've never had any trouble with Remington brass, either... at least no more than Fedchester... I have some 257 Bob cases that are extremely soft and their primer pockets have opened up, but running the same load the same number of times through RP brass from a different lot has produced no problems. On the other hand, I have '06 cases that I've run at relatively warm pressures for >15x and not had any problems at all.

I have a hundred RP 7x57 cases and haven't had any problems with them whatsoever... because the rifle they go with has been in the process of being customized since '08 smile . Now THAT is QUALITY wink !

In manufacturing this is bound to occur in some quantity.

I really wish that Lapua would produce 7x57 brass, personally.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So far as I am aware, Lapua does produce 7x57......and if it is as good as their BR brass, it will be the best that you can buy.
At least, that is my experience with Lapua.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.