Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Any opinions on these rubberized types of stock finishes?

I have an uncheckered McMillan that is too slippery for my tastes despite the McMillan textured paint finish.

Bell & Carlson has offered to repaint and MaxxGuard my stock for better control and handling. They say it is very durable. I just wanted to hear any realworld experiences before I take the plunge.

The Browning guns with Dura-touch and the Remington 700s(AWR Rifles-stock made by Bell & Carlson) have these finishes. They feel really good to me but I want durability also.

Is this good stuff???

Thanks, Leftybolt

BP-B6

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm thinking it is good stuff! I have a "faux" Alaskan Ti in 7RM I put together using a CM receiver and a fluted Ti takeoff barrel from Burleyboy. I used one of the factory Alaskan Ti takeoff stocks that has the MaxxGuard finish and it does have a really nice feel to it.

I've not subjected the rifle to any significant abuse, but by all appearances the finish is pretty durable. I can't see it being any less so than just a simple painted finish.

Out of curiosity, do you know what B&C would charge you to paint and apply the MaxxGuard?

Kevin

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have a few Brownings with this finish and a bell and Carlson stock with it and I love the feel, in fact it's hard for Me to hunt with My other rifles that don't have this finnish, I like the Browning dura-guard a little better than the B&C, It's probably more the shape of the slim Browning stock than anything else, I love the way a Browning X-Bolt fits Me, as for durability I can't say, I've had no issues so far but My Dura-Touch and Maxxguard finished rifle stocks are all less than three years old................... I'd give one a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed................Good luck............547.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Kevin, I think it's like a $50.00 option when you order a new stock, so I wouldn't expect to pay any more than that.....................547.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A couple people I know have had it and I really liked the fell and texture of their stocks. Not sure how important this is but I think they are bit quieter as well less clunking sounding when bang them slightly.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ehunter
A couple people I know have had it and I really liked the fell and texture of their stocks. Not sure how important this is but I think they are bit quieter as well less clunking sounding when bang them slightly.

Yup, I have an Alaskan Ti in 25-06 that has the factory stock and the Maxguard finish on it. It first I thought is was kind of dumb, but after using it 2 years so far its been really nice. Works well when its cold, and we got lots of rain in Oregon and its a little easier to hold on to when its all wet. Plus like Ehunter says, it does make it a little less loud when you hit it.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 02/16/10.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No experiance with them,but Browinings website says NOT to get cleaning chemicals on them because it will ruin the finish, which is not repairable.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
KDF,

B&C wants $100 to repaint the stock and apply the MaxxGuard finish. They said the MaxxGuard finish needs to be applied to a wet(or at least tacky) finish or it will not adhere properly and will peel off. They said it is really a fine line between getting it right and screwing it up but assured me that when it is done right(hence the need to repaint my stock) that it is very durable.

I appreciated their assurance but trust real field experience from hunters more than factory tests.

My McMillan is olive(painted by McMillan). A few years ago I owned a B&C Carbelite classic painted olive with black webbing and to tell you the truth I liked B&C's shade of olive better than McMillan's. I'm thinking the same color scheme(olive w/sparse black webbing) on the McMillan(Win FWT) with MaxxGuard would be right nice looking and really add to the ability to firmly grip that stock.

I really like to hunt hard and hike far during hunting seasons out West but I am by no means hard on my rifles(ie., I don't drag them behind the horse or the 4-wheeler) so from the feedback I've received so far it sounds like this finish just might be the ticket to solving my troubles with this particular rifle.

McMillan's Win FWT stock is such a nicely balanced stock IMO and really feels good in my hands but I wish the pistol grip was a little less open; more like the original walnut FWT stock. Might just be the lack of checkering but for some reason I flnd myself tightening up my grip every time I go to pull the trigger because I feel like I'm going to lose hold of it under recoil.

Thanks, for the input guys, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/16/10.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Got my FWT McMillan back from Bell & Carlson today.

The MaxxGuard finish looks and feels great, I couldn't be happier. It turned out just like I'd hoped it would. Now let's hope it'll be durable.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 03/16/10.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bringing this up again-----how has the finish held up? Any more comments on how well it is working?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
DakotaDeer,

I really haven't had a chance to use the gun in the field yet but plan on giving it a good ringout this year once hunting season starts(mid November here in Mississippi). Having said that, the finish seems to be very durable as far as I can tell from just handling the rifle.

Leftybolt

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dupli-Color spray-on bedliner is the bomb!

NRA Benefactor member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.