24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've never owned either brand, always Leupold VariX-II, VX3, LPS, Tasco Titans & Euroclass and Nikon Monarch. Funds are a bit tight right now and I need a low power variable for a woods rifle. I'm trying to keep the weight down and I've never shot whitetail in the timber with a scope turned up over 6X, but have shot some at 3X. I've been hearing good things about the new Burris Burris FullField II 3-9x40mm and the Vortex Viper 2-7. I can buy either for less than $200. Opinions?

Last edited by Stoneybroke; 08/20/10.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've used a Vortex Viper, don't own one, but would purchase one in without hesitation, especially in light of Vortex stepping up and donating some optics gear here on the 'Fire to assist a young hunter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by joe6555
Mark,

I remember last Christmas, a group put together a present for a youngster here in Texas. Somebody wrote to Vortex and they supplied a pair of binoculars, since he already had a scope promised. A little letter writing could possibly help out Shayne as well. I think it was Lou270 or something like that that did the rifle down here. wish I had some funding to lend, but working part time for minimum wage doesn't give me much play money. Best of luck to you.

And just recently

Originally Posted by heavywalker
I just got word back from Vortex from an email that I wrote them earlier today. They are going to donate a pair of Fury 8x32 Binoculars to Shayne.

Good on Vortex for stepping up to the plate and helping out a young kid.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 2x7 is a better variable magnification for the woods. The Viper at its reduced cost, down to about $175, is a fantastic bargain with imo, better optics than the Fullfield.

The Viper with a 32mm objective also has a lower profile and will look better imo.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a FFII 3x9 and still have the 2x7 Viper. The Viper is head and shoulders above the Burris optically and repeatability. My Viper is here for the long haul.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by joe6555
Mark,

I remember last Christmas, a group put together a present for a youngster here in Texas. Somebody wrote to Vortex and they supplied a pair of binoculars, since he already had a scope promised. A little letter writing could possibly help out Shayne as well. I think it was Lou270 or something like that that did the rifle down here. wish I had some funding to lend, but working part time for minimum wage doesn't give me much play money. Best of luck to you.

And just recently

Originally Posted by heavywalker
I just got word back from Vortex from an email that I wrote them earlier today. They are going to donate a pair of Fury 8x32 Binoculars to Shayne.

Good on Vortex for stepping up to the plate and helping out a young kid.

Damn.

I've talked with the Viper VP before and looked at/through their optics, but that's just above and beyond.

Yep, they'll be getting some business from me as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two of the 2-7x32 Vipers and a 3-9x40...love em. I had a Burris FFII a while back and same as MagMarc, still have the Vipers while the Burris is long gone. Never had any issues with it but the Viper is flat out a better scope in all regards in my opinion.
The fact that they've donated to young campfire members makes it a no brainer.

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just recieved my first Viper from Doug today and I can tell you it is way better than my Monarch for a lot less money.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just took delivery today of a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 from Doug as well. I am very impressed overall with the fit/finish and the optics. Can't wait to get some range time with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to play devils advocate I have a 6x40 FFII for a while now and don't see me parting with it any time soon. Its been terrific.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I don't have a FF II, but I do have a Burris Compact and I just purchased a Vortex Viper 2x7.

I have always thought of the Burris as a good quality riflescope, and it has held up well.

But the Viper is better glass. Time will tell how well it holds up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned and used both. The Vortex has better glass and much better customer service.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Viper gets you into the Signature Select class, for the same $$ as the FFII level.

I owned a 2-7 Viper for $269, and thought it was a solid value then. When they went < $175, I had to buy another.

That, coupled with the way that Vortex treats people, make this an easier decision than most.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I took the plunge and bought one of the 2-7x32 Vortex Vipers. I'll certainly be buying another, and soon, before they run out. It's a helluva scope for the $$.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found a NIB Burris Euro-Diamond 1.5-6X40mm in the classifieds and couldn't resist. Now, if I can just talk the CFO into a 2x7x40 Vortex, all will be well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you got that Euro Diamond because it was sorely tempting me and I don't need another scope.
Now if someone would buy that 1-4x24 Euro D I'd be clear.
109ft FOV!!!!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
Just mounted a 2-7 Viper yesterday, comparing with others this rainy Maine morning. Looking into dark woods at 50-75 yds.
2-7 Viper as good optically as 2-7 VX-I Leupold, Viper has much more scope showing around edges.
3-9x40 Redfield has much brighter image at 7x than either, would have left it on if it fit the rifle better.
I would buy another Redfield before the Viper I think, though I would like to compare 2-7's head to head.
1.8-5.5x38 Zeiss Conquest blows all these away, though longer and heavier.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have compared the Viper 2-7x32 to a vari-x ii 2-7x33 and I think the Viper beats it hands down except for field of view. That's my only disappointment with the 2-7x32 Viper. Like jmone said...lots of scope around the edges.

I have a Diamondback 1.75-5x32 that has a much better field of view. Optics appear bright but the clarity around the very edges suffers some compared to the Viper. I'll see how they are in the field...but right now I think I like my Diamondback better for the application because of the field of view.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been to the Vortex offices/store located just outside Madison,WI. I have been in there a couple times and I promise you that you would have to look long and hard to find a better group of people.

They genuinely care about their customers.It is just amazing to me that more business people don't get it like they do. I actually feel more like a friend then a customer when in there.
We talked not only optics but hunting,shooting,any plans for the weekend etc.

I currently own 3 Vortex scopes.2 diamondbacks and a Crossfire.Next will probably be a Viper for a Sako 270 I have.

Last year Tim(Vortex) was going to donate a scope for a young man here but then someone else had gave him a scope so they donated a pair of binoculars.

Total first class company.

Disclaimer..I do not work for them nor have any family that does:)lol

Bill/WI

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 84 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.