Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was just wondering what ya'll's favorite .22 ammo is. I figured that most squirrel, rabbit, and whatever hunting is done with a .22.<BR>Do you guys like HP's or solids?<BR>I usually use walmart Rem golden bullet hp's, but my .22 is lucky in that it shoots them pretty straight. They misfire sometimes, but I just put them back in the chamber in a different position and they fire the 2nd time. Stingers also work well for me, but they get to expensive for a good night full of coon hunting.<BR>What's your medicine for these wild beasts?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use the Federal hollowpoints that are probably on the same Wal-Mart shelf. They are $10 for a box of 550. They work well in my gun and shoot accurately enough, anout 1" @50 yards. They are hollowpoints, but not explosive.<BR> If you want explosive, try the WInchesters. They are behind the counter, $8 for 500. They are pure lead and have a deep hollowpoint. I think they are standard velocity, but from what expierence I have, they are like little bombs on target. They don't shoot that well out of my gun though.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also use the Federal Hollowpoints and i find that they work well and are quite accurate out of my marlin model 60. <BR>YoungHunter

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Experience has shown that it pays to experiment with rim fire ammo. My Marlin 39AS likes CCI and WW Power-Point high speed ammo. It loves RWS sub-sonic HP ammo. Like 5 rds. in 5/8's of an inch. Remington's ammo has had ignition problems with many other shooter's rifles, judging from comments over at Shooter's over the years. Stringers doesn't shoot well in my Marlin either, say 2.5 inches @ 50 yds. The others shoot one inch groups. Hollow point ammo kills much better than solid ammo, in my experience. E.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For rabbits and squirells I like the Remington Yellow Jackets, they do the same damage as stingers for less $. I've sold guns that don't like the little bees. If you can find them, the CCI SGB (small game bullet) do one hell of a number on thicker skinned varmints. They make this lovely "thock" when the hit, kind of like flicking an empty milk carton.

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
CS: Like you, I use the bulk Remington .22LR hi-speeds in solid point. I use these for squirrel, finding that they give acceptable accuracy and are available almost anywhere - cheap. When I move up to my .22 WMR, I use Winchester/Western solid points, finding the solids to less destructive on small, edible game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been alternating the Eley Subsonic HP's and Eley/Rem Target for squirrels. But, my rifle is shooting the Federal 900B so well, I think I'll give it a try this fall. For crows, woodchucks, foxes, the WW Power Point.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Winchester Western Power Points<BR>Remington Golden bullet 36gr HP<P>at 50 yds I get 10 shots that can cover a dime on a regular basis.<P>most accurate and most devestating in my Rem 541-T, my Ruger 10-22, and my Win 9422, all of which I use for squirrel hunting.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Used to use the Winchester T22 but they didn't kill as well as I would like. I tried several HP rounds but the meat distruction was to much.... then I tried some remington Sub-Sonic HP's. They kill like lightning and group extremely well out of almost any rifle you can name. I have a CZ M452 Lux that will put 5 under an inch at 100 yards. This requires a wind protected range and a few sighters but it truly enlightens one about the accuracy of a fine 22 with ammo it likes.....gunnut69

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to use Stingers for squirrels and bunnies but I found that they do too much damage to the critter. So now I use Federal solids. They kill the critters without all the damage. Another round I like is the Winchester Power Point. By far it is the most accurate round in my 10/22 and 22/45. While it is a hollow point, it doesnt expand and destroy the meat as much as the stingers do.<BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Squirrels hit the ground great with Eley subsonic HP ammo yeh I know their expensive but that's what the Savage likes. Rabbits if I leave the beagle behind to still hunt em I take the Rossi .22 mag with whatever HPs I have at the time heck with iron sights on the Rossi I can't tell or shoot the difference.

220 Swift still king.
D
D
CCI Stinger.

It is not critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triump of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.<P>----- Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
cs,<P>What I do is test all the different types of ammo as far as the HP ammo goes. Whatever is most accurate in my rifles is what I use to hunt with. In two of my rifles I shoot Win Dynapoints and the other likes PMC the best.<P>Good Shooting,<BR>George

Good Shooting,

George

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.