Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am going to replace my damaged Daly hawken .50 barrel. The barrel seems to be the same used in older CVAs, with a button breech instead of a hook breech.
I can find hook breech barrels that APPEAR to have the
same proportions ( drum location, underlug, etc. )
Am I correct that I would have to replace the tang to match
a hooked breech , if I found a barrel that otherwise matches
at the barrel underlug?
These spanish button breech barrels are very scarce, it seems.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yep you would have to replace the tang so it matched the new hooked breech.

so happens i have a 50 cal CVA spanish barrel out in the shop . its still in the white , never mounted to a rifle

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can't imagine finding one to fit perfectly. The simpler solution is to take the hooked breech off your old rifle, fit it to a new barrel and add a new underlug.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am afraid I damaged the breech on that barrel. I am
getting a new rifle, but still want to salvage this one due to sentimental reasons. And it seems a guy can't have too many rifles.
Cutting the dovetail slot for the underlug would be a major challenge for me. The one on it now is centered 8 3/16 " from
the breech end of the barrel.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't imagine finding one to fit perfectly. The simpler solution is to take the hooked breech off your old rifle, fit it to a new barrel and add a new underlug.

Brent

well as to the first partr , it would depend brent .

2nd part . if its like a CVA it wont work , CVA breech plugs are not strait , they have a slight tapper to aid in the meachine fitting
they also are metric threaded .
so getting it to fit a new barrel will be an issue

as to the measurment . ill have to check it and see . all the dove tails are cut and the barrel is drilled for the underrib which also comes with the barrel . it also has the drum bolster

Last edited by captchee; 08/28/10.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ok good morning
Sorry I was dragging last night and was on my way to bed when I posted .
So let me clarify .
The way Jukar � Spanish manufacture for CVA in Spain� set their breech plugs and bolsters is by machine. The the plug had a taper to it . The threads are also metric .
. The Button is nothing more then a way to set the barrel to the tank IE it�s a type of hook breech . Modifying that tang to fit a different hook breech is not a simple thing to do . It can be done but its not simple .
So your options IMO would be either find another factory barrel that will fit or get a new hook breeched barrel and have the dove tails cut , under rib installed and the matching tang inlet into your stock .
This may be you best option because the Bolster can then be drilled to match the fall of your lock . Where as if you get a factory CVA barrel , its bolster will already be drilled to match the nipple to their lock .
Now one could say well ,,,, Cap . I can change out the bolster .
Well the issue comes in that CVA uses a unique type of drum bolster . Finding a blank one is near impossible .
The other Plus to what Brent was talking about is that If your wanting to shoot conicals . Then you can also chose a barrel that will have a better twist rate .
Not to mention having a much better . Higher quality barrel to begin with .

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.