-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy folks, sorry if this topic has been covered before.
I have been working with a new rifle, its a Rem 700 in 308. So far I have tried the 168 Amax, 168 Sierra gamekings and the 155 Sierra matchkings.
My rifle shoots them all very well, but shows an obvious preference for the match bullets, which are suposedly not recomended for hunting.
My question is, are these match bullets too hard or too soft for hunting deer sized game? Will they explode, or pass right through with little expansion?
I could just try them on deer but was wanting to hear from anyone who has already tried them first.
I dont plan to hotrod my ammo so impact velocities will probably be around 2500-2000fps. distances under 200 yards, probably closer to 75 or 100. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Flinch444: For several years I used MatchKings in a 7mm Rem Mag on elk, and had no complaints. I only recovered one slug from a head on brisket shot. It had scrambled the heart/lung region, and was just in the back surface of the liver. Elk went about 2 steps. Others were pass throughs with couple of neck shots thrown in and the balance being heart/lung passes.

Those slugs would go exactly where I wanted them to, and that brings my confidence to a real high. Then I found out one shouldn't do that. I would suspect that 100 times out of 100, a well placed Matchking from a 308 in the kill zone will more than suffice on deer. I put supreme accuracy, even with a poor slug, well ahead of sloppy shooting with a premimum slug.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/26/10.

1Minute
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My rifle shoots them all very well, but shows an obvious preference for the match bullets,

What does this mean?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This topic has been hammered before. Strong opinions on both sides. Here is what Sierra, the manufacturer says:

Q: Can I use a MatchKing bullet for deer hunting? They shoot just great in my rifle, so they should be just super for hunting use, right?

A: No, it's not recommended. The MatchKing bullets are designed for pinpoint accuracy; with no consideration given to what might happen after impact. If the bullet has arrived on target accurately, its job is done at that point. Hunting bullets must perform in a certain manner after impact. Penetrating ability, expansion characteristics, and even profile must be considered when designing a hunting bullet. Use MatchKings for matches, and game bullets for hunting.

And on top of that, a lot of folks don't think Sierra can make a decent hunting bullet, even when they try! grin

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman
My rifle shoots them all very well, but shows an obvious preference for the match bullets,

What does this mean?

This means that the Sierra gamekings shoot around 1" groups @ 100 yrds while the match bullets are well under 1", closer to 1/2" when I do my part. I really dont know why this is, maybe more consistancy in the manufacturing of match bullets?
1/2" may not be worth worrying about in a hunting rifle, but I prefer to shoot what my rifle shoots the best.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
"1/2" may not be worth worrying about in a hunting rifle"

Very true, if you have a rifle that shoots 1" off the bench, a 1/2" rifle will make no difference at all in the field.

But consistent terminal performance DOES matter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1/2" may not be worth worrying about in a hunting rifle, but I prefer to shoot what my rifle shoots the best.

In your original post you mentioned shots will be under 200 yards, so a half MOA difference is moot.

I like to chase accuracy too though, so I'd probably want to tinker some more. My belief is that if I had a 308 rifle capable of repeatable 1/2" to 5/8" groups with a 155 MK then I could bring it in reliably under 1" with a 150 grain Interlock that is a sure fire deer getter.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
IMO the 1/2" difference in the groupings doesn't equally the risk of using a round not intended for hunting. Its always better to be safe and know you equiped to take you deer then use a bullet that doesn't "always" perform as effecientlly and be sorry and thinking "what if".

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know deer are fairly easy to kill, my dad used to kill them with 22shorts when he was a kid by shootin them in the neck w/ his winchester pump rifle, thats another story though.
Basically I just wanted to know if these match bullets will pass right through, or explode with little penetration? Sounds like "1 minute" has had decent luck with them.
My goal is to settle on one load and stick with it, it would be nice if that load shot the best out of my rifle.
Thanks for the replies.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Try Sierra 165 GK hollowpoints. Excellent accuracy and built for deer size game. A number of members on here will attest to their accuracy and terminal performance. I used them last year with excellent results and will do so again this year.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lets see, a 308 and deer at ranges of sub 200 yds...I'd go with a 150 Horn Sp or a RN at about 2700 and call it a day.

IME if you're really going long then I can see going with the bullets you mentioned (and yeah I have some experience with them) but for the close ranges we're talking I'd go with something a bit more generic.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you really want match grade hunting bullets go with Berger. Otherwise I think it's better to stick with hunting bullets for hunting. One thing you can do is is take your match ammo and hunting ammo and shoot them both the same way you hunt. Whether that's setting up targets and shooting out of a treestand or off a backpack or whatever. Chances are you aren't going to see that much difference between the two like you do ff the bench.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"My rifle shoots them all very well, but shows an obvious preference for the match bullets, which are suposedly not recomended for hunting."

So why risk letting a wounded animal get away because your match bullet didnt perform properly on game? It doesnt make any sense to me.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by flinch444
.... match bullets, which are suposedly not recomended for hunting.
My question is, are these match bullets too hard or too soft for hunting deer sized game? Will they explode, or pass right through with little expansion?

I only have a " sample of one" but it was enough. Against the written advice of Sierra Per Se I loaded up some 168 gr. match kings in a .30-06 and got to use them on a smallish doe mule deer....
three of them...( bullets, not deer...)
from 70 yards....
They did both things you mentioned, and yes, shot placement was good...

If you feel compelled to use a match bullet, try the Barnes 168 BTHP TSX...
it will work, but probably " wayyyyyy overpenetrate"... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there is a reason they design hunting bullets and match bullets. if match bullets performed like hunting bullets, then we would just have "bullets" and no need to differentiate. YMMV

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.