Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Washington here...Where is everybody from, and what do you like to hunt for?

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi. I like to hunt the quail species, Mtn., Valley, and Gamble's. But I hunt almost everything that flys. Ducks, Geese, doves quail, etc. In "great" Kalifornia, you havre to really dig to find some quality hunting, but you can do it. E.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
E, How's the Mountain quail hunting down there? here in Washington we have a season, but I'm now just starting to get interested in pursueing these wiley gamebirds. Is is true that they ddon't flush easily? Should you throw rocks in the brush to flush them out? I'll be using my setter to find some here in the lowlands of the Puget Sound area and it can get pretty thick out there. I'l have to let that dog break point just to get them out! Don't own a flushing breed.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lady Grouse Hunter,<BR> Where is Maple Valley? I've heard it before, but I've never been there. I'm Way out on the north olympic peninsula in PortAngeles. To you and all the other alloutdoors folks, Welcome,,BEARHUNTER

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Bear hunter, M.V. is south of Issaquah and east of Kent on Hiway 18. My Mom dated a State Trooper that worked in Port Angelus alot. I've never been up that way myself. <BR>Welcome aboard! What do you like to hunt and fish for?

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lady Grouse hunter,<BR> DUHHH!!!! I should have known that. Nice area there and not to far to go to get away. I do hunt grouse over here, every once in a while I stumblre across a big blue(even a blind pig finds truffel every now and then).Mostly I just hunt deer,beer(I mean bear) and Elk. I used to live in E. Wash, lots of Pheasants,quail, chukar, and huns. I really miss the bird hunting alot. When I go back home during hunting season I usually will get a day of pheasant hunting in. That goes a long ways towards the healing process. Glad you folks found your way over here.,,BEARHUNTER

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Lady Grouse Hunter. Basically, you need to find them first. In the Sierra-Nevada of CA, they range from 3500 to over 7000 ft. I like to look for knee, to waist high scrubs, and grass, not too far from water. Meadows are good places to look. They run alot. Much more than Valley Quail, but not as bad as Gambel's Quail. They are widely scattered in small groups, as a rule. I don't use a dog, but they are very useful-sometimes. We've got cover that even a tough dog can't work. When that happens, you just move on. It's challenging, and I often have the area to myself. Besides, they are often found in good tree squirrel habitat. Sometimes, even in Blue Grouse habitat, such as in dry years. E

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Thick & tough you say? We have some of the THICKEST BRUSH AROUND! In Mntn Quail & Grouse areas we hunt, it's full of continuous Blackberry thickets and is borderd by stinging Nettle! And sometimes you'll even run into a giant paper wasp nest! I'm just now doing reserch as to where our states populations are and most resources say that's were the birds are...I'm teaching my setter to negociate this kind of brush but I check him often for stickers in his hide. I got my work cut out up here for me.....<BR>Eremicus, where from Eastern Wa. did you move from?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi LGH. I've never lived in eastern Washington. I wish I had. E.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lady Grouse Hunter, I live down the road a peice from BearHunter in Union on Hood Canal.<BR>The last couple days on my into Shelton i have seen a couple of nice ruffs with chicks. now if the local dogsand cats will leave them alone we could get a population up again, it's been on the bottom of the cycle for some years now. I have seen this before but now the areas to hunt are so over grown even a good dog will do you no good. this years crop of berries looks real promising so this could be the year the bird populations start to rebound. The local deer are fat and the couple bear I have seen so far are already rubbed, good signs for grouse.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bullwnkl,<BR> You're not giving away all are secrets are you?<BR> Lady Grouse Hunter,<BR> I used to live in Spokane, hunted birds south of there down the old pullman hi-way. the names of the towns are escaping me right now, but anywhere in the palouse is good bird country. Bullwnkl is right about the grouse on our side of the pond. Pretty bad lately. I didn't know about the berries and bear rub thing though(very interesting).<BR> Bullwnkl,<BR> Did ya get that 458 2" done yet?<BR> BEARHUNTER

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Bear hunter,Bullwinkle,<BR>Have you guy's ever seen any Mountain Quail on your side of the big pond? I'm interested in coming over that way and doing some hunting for them this fall. Believe it or not, kitsap,Mason & the Southern parts of Jefferson County's have stable populatiuon of birds. on the Grouse thing, I think you guy's are right. I haven't seen the birtds in my core areas like it was 6 years age. It's said that they go in seven year cycle's. I guess i'll get out and do some scouting soon. Welcome aboard newbies! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Ememicus, I live here in Western Wa. The Quail mostly range up to the Pacific Crest trail boundery and are scare on the Eastside of the Cascades. The woods on my side are a tough bet for any kind of hunting, even Deer.I guess I'm use to it and do just fine.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
LGH,<BR> I see Quail every once in a while, but that is usually east of where I do most of my hunting over here. Yesterday I was working up in the hills just a little west of here and I saw more than a dozen grouse with 2 or 3 little chicks following close behind. It was really cute and a very positive thing for sure. I haven't seen that many grouse around here in a long time. i suspect it has something to do with the unusually dry weather? But I don't know for sure,take care,,BEARHUNTER

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lady..., Looks like the population of grouse could be rebounding, sure would be nice. I have not seem a blue in a long time but the ruffs are around. here in Mason County the best grouse hunting i have ever done was up in the foot hills around the Skokomish river. Today that area would be a tough hunt as it is all second growth and very thick. Mostly to hunt around here you have to be very fast with a shotgun or shoot the critters out of the trees with a 22, my preferd method.<P>BearHunter, the 458x2 is done. Now I have to wait until my sholder heals up, hurt it lifting my lawn tractor to change belts. Guess i'm not 20 years old any more.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Bull Winkle, <BR> It sounds like they might on the rebound from a low cycle. Every body I know that's been out fishing Mountian lakes or driving the F.S. roads have seen Grouse with chicks! Even in Western Oregon I'm getting good reports for Grouse w/chicks and Mntn. Quail.But also alot of them won't make it to falls opener....that's life! [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
LGH,<BR> You nailed it there. The only bad part about seeing all these young little chicks is that means the predators population is also up. I guess we need to do our part and nail a few extra yotes and coons..hopefully though things are on the upswing. keep us posted on any other news or reports you here. thanks,,,BH

D
D
Hi all, I'm from Beaverton, Or. between Portland & the coast range. We (my Vizsla & I) hunt just about all birds that we can. We've found a few small spots here in the local coast range for grouse hunting, both ruffs & blues. Saw mom & chicks just this past week. Eastern Ore. is the place to hunt grouse though. I guess valley quail & huns are my favorites, but then there's roosters, chukar, & grouse oh hell I don't know.

C
C
On the 4th of July, I went to my dad's old stomping grounds, around the Skok. I worked my way all the way up above Cushman and onto Prospect Ridge, I heard exactly 3 grouse flush in front of me, about all my setters ended up with was sore feet.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hi everybody, <BR> I'm back from my week long vacation on Orcas Island. I help with the fireworks show up there every year. Saw too many Deer again, and even a Pinto two point Buck in velet to boot! I see that the Grouse w/chick reports are still coming in strong, Too bad there are none on the Islands. <BR> Please for all you Washington scouters, leave the DOGS at home for now, this is not upland persue season in Washington. It starts August 1st. the birds need this time to raise there young in peace. Scout for moroding Bobcats and make note of their home terratories. They have a great impact on local bird numbers and cycle up & down with them. boy I'd better get out and see what everybody's talking about.... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.