-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Lady Grouse Hunter,<BR>I've just graduated from college in Michigan where I have spent the last four years. I started hunting two years ago and am looking forward to chasing birds here too. I've got a female yellow lab who loves to hunt and we are starting some advanced training as we speak. I'm interested in finding some grouse hunting oppurtunities on the west side of the state.

GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Welcome Tincup,<BR> I recognize your user name from O.A. right?<BR>Thanks for stopping by... I see we're almost nieghbors. Where in Issaquah are you at? I'm just west of Issqaquah/Hobart road on 18. I'm new to the southend so I'm looking for local areas to Grouse hunt at. I see that one needs to hit the Pass routes to get out of town. I've done most of my hunting off Hyway 2 area so I'm looking for close area to home. [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

T
T
Yes, I did spend a little time at A.O. I'm actually living on cougar mountain, just south of Issaquah. I'm new to hunting and have not pursued grouse but would like to give it a try.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Tincup, What got your interest up for Grouse and do you know what one looks like? What is your age class and how long ago did you start hunting. Its nice to see adults enter the hunt field later in life, (better late than anti, I mean never!) I see your a pro golfer also. Hunting is more addicting than what you golfers see in your sport. I like to think of hunting as a way of life and not a sport, it just doesn't sound right to me and gives it a bad name to the uneducated public. Its a managedment tool that really works in everyones best interest... [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

T
T
I'm 23 and seeing grouse in the U.P. of Michigan sparked by intrest. I had college friends that loved grouse hunting and since the season starts sept. 1, it allows a refresher to later bird seasons.

IC B2

T
T
I forgot, this will be my third season, I've mostly hunted pheasants and ducks, but I really enjoy hunting because of the "hunting expierence" and not the kill. I too hunt for the food, but agree that hunting is an essential management tool. I have a young dog and this will be her first "real" season, I can't wait to watch her work.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
What is U.P.? I think that's great for you to get out an experience the outdoors like it should be.... What breed of dog do you own? I have a two year old Red setter and this also will be our first year out as well. I have the first time dog jitters but I expect it to be trial and error and just have fun watching him learn to handle wild birds this season. Soo what if we are total newbies out there, at least it will be a good time for both of us. He's pretty smart so I suspect he'll figure it out in no time...

T
T
The U.P. is the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. My dog is a 1 1/2 year-old yellow lab. We start her advanced trainging tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
What are you looking to accomplish on training your lab. Will he/she be used for marsh and uplands? Who are you sending it to for formal training? I have a couple of good trainers in mind if you need a refferance. Bird dog training season starts on August 1st. for getting a dog on wild upland birds and forest Grouse. I can't wait to get my Setter out in my favorite Grouse haunts. I took him out in a few places early last season, just to see how he would do on finding Grouse. He did execellent dispite being on a rope, & under control the whole time. This was the best way I had to show him what it's all about. No birds were shot over him during the early opener due to inexperience on holding points. It was great exposer for him and this year will be the "real" test for him. I still have to follow the golden rule for pointing breeds; if he "roads in" on a bird that he has established scent on and wont hold point, the bird will not get shot for him. [img]images/icons/blush.gif" border="0[/img] It's a tough one to follow for most beginners but it will come in due time. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

T
T
We are starting force fetching next week at the Canine Country Club in Fall City. I will mostly persue upland birds but some duck hunting too. Eventually, I would like to get a duck boat, but thats probably a couple of years off.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Tincup, <BR> As of August 1st. we can start getting our dogs on wild birds. Official Birddog training season kicks off then. I'm always looking for someone to share the the ride & gas, to go scouting for birds to point for my dog and others. These spots I go to are a good hour or so away. Some areas I've been going in for over 9 seasons now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey everyone,<BR>I'm out west. I come from sooutheastern Arizona, a small town called Mammoth. <BR>I am sorry ma'am I have been away for awhile and I think you are new to the site. pleased to meet you.<BR>I love to hunt coues deer, but on the small game end. I love the excitement of dove and quail hunting, it is nonstoped action.<BR> <BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
B
Hi LGH and others. I'm in King County just south of Renton. Seen plenty of grouse and sign around lately. Should be a good year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.