-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
Looking for some info on hunting pheas. in SD this coming fall. Have never done this and would appreciate any information. <P>Is this something that can be done on your own (finding access) or do you need to go through an outfitter ? Do you need to there at the start of the season ? Thanks much.

GB1

U
OP Offline
U
Guys I really can spell, duh how about South Dakota instead.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
UP , I don't live in the main pheasant range , so don't have all the details , but I do know the hot area is from say Huron , south and west thru Winner . Pay hunting is well established in this area , so it MAY be best to go with an outfitter for your first time there . Unless you know a landowner , you are going to have to pay anyway to get on a good property early in the season . The numbers of pheasants are unbeleivable , they are like swarms of blackbirds at times .Late in the season , access will be much easier , and there will still be plenty of birds , but they are wilder than hell , and you will have to use your whitetail driving tactics to get within shooting range . Good hunting can be found in the fringe areas of the hot zone , although the bird numbers are not nearly as crazy , where you may be able to hunt without fees , and there are alot of "walk in" areas established by the state . These are private lands on which the landowners will allow hunting in return for some money from the state , they are marked with signs , and you don't need to ask permission . The state publishes a booklet that details their locations . If all else fails , roadhunting IS legal for birds in SD .

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
UP <P>I will start out by saying I hunt pheasants first and everything else second. I have had the pleasure of hunting in South Dakota on 2 seperate occasions (1991 & 1992). I booked my 5 day pheasant hunt with "South Dakota Outfitters", Mike Moody - Outfitter. In 1991 the lodge was brand new and a beautifull lodge it was - 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, kitchen and dinning room with room at the table for 12 people. A deck went across most of the front of the lodge. The beds were twin beds and real mattresses, not some 2" thick cot. Individual temperature controls for each of the 4 bedrooms. The lodge was located just west of Herrick and about 7 miles east of Burke, South Dakota on Rte 18, Gregory County. I understand a new lodge was built several miles east. I haven't been back since the new lodge was built. <P>If I had the time I would go every year. The pheasant hunting is FANTASTIC to say the least. If 2 of you went out with a guide and a dog and you spent more then 2 hours hunting to kill 6 roosters, you had a LONG day. When I go again I will take a varmint rifle and do some coyote hunting in the early AM and just before dark. I don't know what the current regulations are but back then it wasn't legal to pheasant hunt before 10 AM. By noon you will be all done. If you go out with 10 other guys and conduct drives, then you may end up hunting till dark. <P>Prior to going out my first time I inquired what size shot to use and what choke would work well. I was told to use 4 shot and mod chokes. They use flushing dogs (labs) so your shots can reach out to 50 yards. I use an O/U so I put a mod in the bottom and a full in the top barrel - worked good. I loaded up 50 rounds with hard 6 shot and 50 rounds with hard 4 shot - 1 1/4oz loads. I used the 6 shot the first day because I didn't beleive that 4 shot was needed - I was wrong. The next 4 days I used 4 shot only. I shot 16 rounds total for the week and killed 15 roosters. These are all wild birds, they have kevlar feathers [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] and are tough to bring down. A 20 MPH wind is a calm day. Remember no tree's (except wind breaks around houses) to be found like in Michigan. As to weather - in 1991 I went the 2nd week of the season and it was 27 below zero the first day with a 30 to 40 MPH wind. By the 5th day it warmed up to 10 above. In 1992 I went the 3rd week of the season and the first day it was 82 and I about died, and I DID get sun burned on my neck. By the end of that week it cooled off to 40 above. Just like any fall hunt, the weather can and does vary greatly. <P>These pheasants would sooner run then fly and they CAN run. If in a group you will have "drivers" and "blockers" at the end of the field. Once the drivers get within 75 or so yards of the end of the field, hang on because all hell breaks loose, there are birds everywhere. Remember, no hens allowed, BIG FINES if you kill a hen. The occasional bird will fly out during the drive but you have to see the FURY when the drivers get near the end of the field. It IS a sight to behold. <P>You will be fed like a king, the meals were excellent and eat as much as you like. This is a FIRST CLASS operation all the way. Now for the bad news, lol. Price. Last time I got pricing was about 2 years ago. If memory serves me correctly it was around $1500 for 5 days. It may be slightly more by now. If you figure $300 a day, you will be in the ballpark. All you have to to is relax in a luxury lodge, eat all you want, kill 3 roosters a day and enjoy yourself. They clean and freeze the birds for you to take back. <P>WOW, quite a post,,,,,, I hope you enjoy your hunt. If you do happen to book with Mike Moody let me know. <P>Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.