Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used sako off the fire and it was not a shooter at all. I went through extensive load development and finally gave up when it was obvious that it was simply a 2moa gun. I cleaned it and borescoped it and found a odd scratch that ran down the bore in a spiral opposite the riflings. I called the service center at sako, which forwarded me to bolsa gunsmithing in california. I explained my situation and such to the fellow, being very clear that I am not the original purchaserof this rifle and am just hoping that they will honor the 1moa guarentee. he tells me no problem, send it down.

off it goes.....shipping on my dime, I am ok with that, but I wish it were a smith and wesson. a few weeks pass and today I recieved a call asking me to call bolsa gunsmithing to make a decision on what to do. they told me that the barrel is odd and they lapped it, but the mark is just in the steel and will not affect accuracy. they offered to re cut and crown my barrel, but would need my ok. I told them I sent the gun to them to get it up to sakos guarentee and I did not care what they do to make the gun shoot short of sticking gum under the barrel, it is a sako and should at least get close to an inch. I was told that would be a $95.00 repair.

instantly I am pissed. I send a gun off to a shop for warranty work, they lap the bore and say "its fixed", I ask how it shoots, they say it should be fine and that will be $125.00......odd because sako said it should shoot too. so now I am torn between just saying screw it and telling them to keep it. that frickin POS is not worth the price of the shippig and repair.

I would appreciated it if someone could send me a # to an english speaking human from sako so I can explain to them that I have a strong 40 more years of gun buying and it will exclude them, I feel like I could have at least got some KY jelly.

completely dissapointed in sako.

Greg

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sorry to hear of your experience, but I've always known Bolsa to do good work. I'm confused about the "odd barrel" part. If it's an authorized warranty repair center, why wouldn't they replace the barrel, if necessary? And why are they charging you? Is the work NOT covered under warranty?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call Sako back and try to get the situation rectified, meaning they pick up the tab for the fix like they told you on the phone. I know it's tough, but be nice as pie until it is obvious nothing is going to happen. Ask for someone else to talk with if you aren't getting anywhere. Be nice, be persistant. I went through a similar situation with Pentax, (long story) but finally found the guy who could make things right.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
I bought a used sako off the fire and it was not a shooter at all. I went through extensive load development and finally gave up when it was obvious that it was simply a 2moa gun. I cleaned it and borescoped it and found a odd scratch that ran down the bore in a spiral opposite the riflings. I called the service center at sako, which forwarded me to bolsa gunsmithing in california. I explained my situation and such to the fellow, being very clear that I am not the original purchaserof this rifle and am just hoping that they will honor the 1moa guarentee. he tells me no problem, send it down.

off it goes.....shipping on my dime, I am ok with that, but I wish it were a smith and wesson. a few weeks pass and today I recieved a call asking me to call bolsa gunsmithing to make a decision on what to do. they told me that the barrel is odd and they lapped it, but the mark is just in the steel and will not affect accuracy. they offered to re cut and crown my barrel, but would need my ok. I told them I sent the gun to them to get it up to sakos guarentee and I did not care what they do to make the gun shoot short of sticking gum under the barrel, it is a sako and should at least get close to an inch. I was told that would be a $95.00 repair.

instantly I am pissed. I send a gun off to a shop for warranty work, they lap the bore and say "its fixed", I ask how it shoots, they say it should be fine and that will be $125.00......odd because sako said it should shoot too. so now I am torn between just saying screw it and telling them to keep it. that frickin POS is not worth the price of the shippig and repair.

I would appreciated it if someone could send me a # to an english speaking human from sako so I can explain to them that I have a strong 40 more years of gun buying and it will exclude them, I feel like I could have at least got some KY jelly.

Greg

Wow a Sako with a problem, unheard of! must be a mistake they are perfect!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bolsa is the number that I was connected to via sako. I called sako and they transfered me to bolsa. Bolsa now has no record of our conversation, and says the gun is out of warranty. why on gods green earth would I send my rifle to a smith in california to pay for work when I live 10 minutes from carlock, bemal, doyle and others that can do the work here and not cost me a ton of shipping?....oh, thats right, because they told e to send it to them.

I am so far from happy right now I can't even get a range on it.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If Sako told you to send it there for warranty work, they have to make it right. It sucks, but persistence pays. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Lonny's advice is solid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did the original owner tell you about the bore ID damage prior to selling the rifle? Did he/she have an explaination as to why he/she couldn't get it to shoot and why he/she didn't contact Sako with the issues??

I believe Sako has a 2 year guarantee and if registered within a certain number of days after purchase, they extend the guarantee an additional year or two. If the original owner couldn't get it to shoot using nothing more than a premium factory load, it may require a few different loads to find the best, then why didn't he or she contact Sako at that point to have it corrected while under guarantee??? If he/she later damaged the rifle while outside of warranty and then dumped it off through a sale, why would Sako then be responsible for the damage especially if it is now out of warranty??? If he/she claims the rifle shot a specific load accurately, what happened from that time to when it was shipped to you????

If your repairs were authorized under waranty due to defects in material or workmanship, they should have given you an authorization number for your records. There's too many details missing.

Good Luck:)

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/02/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gary, the original owner told me it shot OK, not sub moa, but ok. I tried plenty of loads and not any would shoot much better then 2moa consistently. the marking in the barrel is not something that could be done by a person, it looks to be inside the metal, it was there before and after bolsa lapped it. I agree it is not sakos responsibility to warranty the guns they saell forever, afterall they are going to wear out. the part that I am beyond pissed about is paying the shipping to a repair facility, and getting a bill for it to come back with an explaination like "there is an odd mark in the barrel, but we lapped it, and it should not affect accuracy".....come on. if you call smith and wesson they take a note of the call and send a shipping label.....not transfer you to a private gunsmith and let him charge you. if they had called and told me it was out of warranty and it would cost me $125.00 to lap the bore, I would have told them to send it back and I will do it myself.

instead they tell me they think it should be better and to give it a try, if not.....send it back.

I think not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako should have placed you in contact with an authorized repair facility. You would need to make the decision to send the rifle to that facility to determine if it is a warranty repair or not. If it is not a warranty repair, they should have requested your authorization to make any repairs if needed. If it was out of warranty and you gave authority for repairs, you'd be billed.

If you felt it should have been a repair under warranty, at that point you could have become a squeaky wheel to both the repair facility and to Sako. Not sure what you would have needed to prove it was a warranty repair, but by authorizing a non-warranty repair, you may have placed yourself at a disadvantage.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for Sako, I'm just trying to get the full picture so that the best advice can come forward to salvage the situation.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's ok, rap a Bushnell on something hard and send that in for warranty work. A few weeks of dealing with them will make you forget all about Sako.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Sako should have placed you in contact with an authorized repair facility. You would need to make the decision to send the rifle to that facility to determine if it is a warranty repair or not. If it is not a warranty repair, they should have requested your authorization to make any repairs if needed. If it was out of warranty and you gave authority for repairs, you'd be billed.

If you felt it should have been a repair under warranty, at that point you could have become a squeaky wheel to both the repair facility and to Sako. Not sure what you would have needed to prove it was a warranty repair, but by authorizing a non-warranty repair, you may have placed yourself at a disadvantage.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for Sako, I'm just trying to get the full picture so that the best advice can come forward to salvage the situation.

please explain how I would have authorized any out of warranty repairs? I expressly would not allow that. I would send it down the road or rebarrel it before I paid for any mods that may or may not work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any work done by the repair center that was not covered by warranty, to be paid by Sako, would need to have your approval before they went ahead with the work. If you are saying that you are upset because they are charging you for work performed, you would have had to give them the okay to do so in the first place. If you are saying you are upset that they didn't perform the work for free or you want them to perform the work for free, then why should they if it is out of warranty??

I thought your post indicated that your repairs were out of warranty and that the repair center gave you an option for an out of warranty repair and further needed your decision if they were to perform the work. Did they perform the work or not? If you feel like it should be covered under warranty, then explain your argument so that you can be given proper advice to pursue that course.

Bottom line, it costs too much money to ship firearms overseas for repair at the manufacturer and therefore Sako must have local authorized repair centers. No one can tell you over the phone based on just a conversation that such a firearm is damaged under warranty, it must go to the authorized repair center to be evaluated. In your case it sounds like this was done and you were told that you were out of warranty. If that's where it stands then maybe you can come up with valid arguments to change this decision. If you cannot, then this point is now moot and you need to move on. If it is indeed out of warranty but the repair center can offer a valid fix for a fair price, then I'd give it a go being it is now there.

This is the pitfall with buying used firearms that are now out of warranty. It is often a gamble, sometimes it is a great deal, other times you're getting someone else's problem.

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
High country I have been told by beretta that Sako's must be returned to them for warranty work not some gunsmith. Beretta's customer service has always been piss poor but I have never heard of sending a warranty claim to someone else.

I would send a email to Sako and not beretta and see what you can get done with it.

I will give your shipping back for it.....ducking... shocked

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 09/02/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, I hate to say I told ya so, but I did. Nothing new there. Just hope you get lucky next time or buy a Remington or Savage. Sako's do have really smooth actions though...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta USA currently has five service centers available to consumers and dealers located in the United States. These service centers are fully equipped to handle general maintenance and service requirements as well as warranty repairs for Beretta, Sako, and Tikka firearms:

http://www.berettausa.com/service/find_a_service_center.aspx

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Damn, I hate to say I told ya so, but I did. Nothing new there. Just hope you get lucky next time or buy a Remington or Savage. Sako's do have really smooth actions though...

I have plenty of both, I was just looking to add to the collection a rifle that would fit my backpack hunting style.

oops.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand completely. I've always heard so much good about them, and as I said, they are smooth and pretty. I've owned three and they were all dogs. I would like to say "never again" but I know better than that. I just can't believe that so many people are wrong, but I can't believe that I'm just that unlucky either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beginning in May 2010, Beretta has transitioned the majority of its firearm servicing to its service centers. These service centers are located nationwide and are equipped to handle the vast majority of warranty and non-warranty servicing requirements. Please click here for firearm return instructions, forms and a listing of Beretta-authorized factory service centers.

Customers should send their firearms directly to a service center and not to the Beretta USA Accokeek, MD facility unless advised to do so by a service center. Firearms received by the Accokeek, MD facility that have not been referred by a service center will experience longer service turnaround times since they will be serviced on a lower priority basis than those firearms received on a service center referral basis.

If your firearm is being serviced at Accokeek, please click here to check its service status. For all other service centers, please contact the respective service center directly.
There is no requirement for an RMA or pre-approval prior to sending your firearm to a service center.

If you need parts for your current model firearm, please contact our parts supplier Brownells. Beretta USA does not sell parts directly to dealers or the public.

For older firearms no longer listed in our current catalog, you should sent your firearm to MidWest Gun Works, one of our service centers that specializes in parts and service for these types of firearms. You can obtain their contact information here.
If you have an older firearm requiring restoration, please contact Midwest Gun Works or Bolsa Gunsmithing to obtain a quote for this service.

Even the best firearms in the world occasionally need to be serviced!

If you wish to ship a firearm to a Beretta Authorized Service Center, please do the following:

1. Send the complete firearm, including choke tubes for shotguns and magazines for pistols. We cannot perform a proper diagnosis of your problem without all of the pieces of your firearm! Please ensure that your firearm is cleared of live ammunition. Do not ship your firearm with a live round in the chamber or magazine.

2. Securely package your firearm and insure it against loss, damage and theft. If you are uncertain of how to ship your firearm, please check out UPS or Federal Express to learn more on your shipping options. (If shipping a handgun, you must specify Next Day Air delivery). Do not ship your firearm in a box that bears ammunition or any other hazardous material markings.

3. After you have packaged your firearm, please place a letter or note in the box describing the problem with the firearm or complete this repair form. Please include the following information:
Your name
Return street address (no Post Office boxes - we cannot ship to them) including city, state and zip
Description of the problem with your firearm and type of ammunition used
Telephone number and e-mail address where we can contact you if we have questions
Enclose a copy of your original sales receipt
Enclose a copy of your Fed Ex or UPS shipping invoice

4. Once you have completed the above steps, ship your firearm to a Beretta Authorized Service Center.

5. Upon receipt of your firearm, we will repair it according to your instructions or contact you if we have any questions or require your authorization to proceed. Customers that ship their firearms to the Accokeek Service Center will be mailed a receipt confirmation. For all other service centers, please contact the service center to verify receipt and status of your firearm.

6. To check on the status of the repair, please call the phone number of the service center where you shipped your firearm. Please have the serial number of your firearm available when you call.

7. If your firearm is no longer under warranty, you may be charged a $70.00 evaluation fee. This fee is waived if the customer approves to payment for the repairs. There may be additional charges for the actual repairs. Please click here for more information on our policies regarding shipping charges and fees.

8. NOTICE: If your state or local law requires that you have a serial number specific ownership permit for any handgun you receive, or if you are required by state or local law to receive a replacement handgun only through a licensed firearm dealer, please notify us so that we can provide you with the serial number of your replacement handgun and so that we can make arrangements to deliver your handgun in accordance with those requirements.

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Put a new barrel on it.

What model is it?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
its a 75 finnlight. they can keep he POS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non-warrantable Repair:

Freight-In, Freight-Out, and $70 Evaluation Fee (if recommended work not performed, otherwise waived) is responsibility of customer.

Like I said before, not being an advocate for Sako, but everything is above board to the letter on the process to send your rifle in for service work. You are either in warranty or not. You either agreed to service work or not.

Tell us the year of manufacture of your Sako and your reasoning you believe it should be covered under warranty. Maybe we can offer you some suggestions to overturn Sako's decision that your rifle is not covered.

or

Tell us how you think you are being shafted by the service center. Maybe we can offer you some suggestions to help you work this issue out with the smith. They clearly state the waiving of the evaluation fee if you authorize the recommended out of warranty repairs. All of this is up front information that was not hidden.

Let us know if you are trying to make the best of the situation or if you are just venting.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said before, not being an advocate for Sako, but everything is above board to the letter on the process to send your rifle in for service work. You are either in warranty or not. You either agreed to service work or not.

Tell us the year of manufacture of your Sako and your reasoning you believe it should be covered under warranty. Maybe we can offer you some suggestions to overturn Sako's decision that your rifle is not covered.

or

Tell us how you think you are being shafted by the service center. Maybe we can offer you some suggestions to help you work this issue out with the smith. They clearly state the waiving of the evaluation fee if you authorize the recommended out of warranty repairs. All of this is up front information that was not hidden.

Let us know if you are trying to make the best of the situation or if you are just venting.

Did I mention they have really smooth actions? wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I called the company and explained my gun, problem and desires....to a tee...I bought the gun used, it has never come close to the 1" guarentee. I was told no problem let me transfer you to our service dept.....bolsa answers the phone. we go through the same q&a session. he tells me to send it to him so he can have a peek at it, not send it to me so I can charge you $125.00 to tell you it may not shoot well, and for another $95.00 I can offer a better outlook for it. I told them on the phone what I saw in the borescope and they said it would take 6 weeks to rebarrel it. thank god I did not have a bill for that.

I guess where I come from, if you are gonna look at a job and start working there better be a conversation about money before anyone gets started......dunno, could be just me.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
it's pretty moot at this point, I am done with sako, I vow to never own another, nor will I hold my tongue from speaking my expierience.

looks like a 6.5x284 cooper repeater will be my next try. at least I can drive to stevensville to chew on some arse if I feel screwed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had one that didn't perform with outstanding accuracy. Those that I've heard of with complaints, were normally like this particular rifle with a lot more to the story than first blush.

If this particular rifle shot this poorly in the hands of the previous owner, then he lied. If it shot better in the hands of the previous owner, then something happened since or there is a question with the marksmanship of the current owner. If the rifle just plain shot poorly out of the box new, then there is a question with the marksmanship of the previous owner for not realizing this rifle had issues needing repair.

One thing's for sure, it's an older discontinued Sako that has been through two owners being currently out of warranty. Who's to say with all this convolution that the rifle didn't shoot exceedingly well when sold new. For certain, unless damaged or out of spec, there should be no reason it could not be made to shoot exceedingly well.

Best:)

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's ok, rap a Bushnell on something hard and send that in for warranty work. A few weeks of dealing with them will make you forget all about Sako.

This is the fix for anything that ails you...2 days later and I'm still laughing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
You dare besmirch the holy name of Sako on this site!!!......Good luck, I've got the popcorn started grin.........................Hillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One problem is it is now Beretta who makes the decisions, and they are not consumer friendly.

I held a new Beretta O/U 9,3X74R double rifle, complete with factory test target that printed as well as any I have ever seen.

There was only one problem, the chambers never had a finish reamer run through, and rounds wouldn't chamber.

Beretta told the dealer that he must have screwed the gun up somehow. By the way, the dealer was Lee LeBas. It was the last Beretta he allowed into his shop.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The SS06 EELL Express Rifles are custom made with hand fitted barrels that go through repeated testing throughout the manufacturing process and proofing. You're saying they omitted all the regulation and proofing on the rifle and sent it out without even the chambering complete? I don't see how that is possible for it to skip the proofing process. Is there written record anywhere to document such a mistake?? There must be more to that story.

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/03/10.

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
gary, the original owner told me it shot OK, not sub moa, but ok.
sounds like you got what you bought,a very rare 1 in 1,000,000 Sako that doesn't shoot one holes like mine.
I'll take it.

Last edited by bh444; 09/03/10.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
just leave it there and call them once a month to inquire if it is shooting better yet smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I own several Sako's rifles and my 270 wsm was the hardest to get to shoot around the .5 mark for groups (three shot). It will shoot alot loads less than a inch though. The problem is dealing with [bleep] beretta. I don't think its a big deal that a dog got out but fix it with out charging a arm and leg for it.

I have had a alot of remingtons and brownings that would not shoot four inches at a 100 yards but they did not cost a $1000 or more and they at least tried to fix it (even though they consider 2.5 inches good at a 100).

I have never seen a Sako that would not shoot but I am sure they are out there.

I have always wanted a benelli shotgun but if you get one that don't work beretta will not fix it. They will keep it a year and tell you they are trying to fix it but they just don't give a damn.

I really like sako rifles but just can't stand beretta.

Dink

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Hate to hear of problems like that. I would have thought Sako rifles would have a longer warranty. I have been lucky with firearms and only had one that required warranty work so far.

I recently purchased a T/C Icon that had to be sent back to the factory. T/C replaced the rifle with a new one and I received it 23 days after I shipped them the defective one. T/C picked up the shipping both ways and gave me a free magazine. Total out of pocket expense to me was $2 for another background check.

Edited to add: All this talk of how poor Beretta's customer service is makes me hope I never have a problem with my Beretta 390 shotgun.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09/03/10.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Although I am a sako fan I don't think much of beretta. All my sakos have shot 1" or less and been a joy to own. Although I understand your frustration.... with the rifle having passed through several owners and perhaps years of use I think it's a bit much to ask sako to cover anything that might be now wrong. If they are willing to make it right for a reasonable cost that would seem fair, but if you will never be able to enjoy the rifle, sell it as is and move on.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is the fix for anything that ails you...2 days later and I'm still laughing.

Yep.

Sad, true, but damned funny.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Greg

Wow a Sako with a problem, unheard of! must be a mistake they are perfect!

What's the point of your sarcasm?

PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you know the date of manufacture? Its at least 5 years old, as they haven't made a 75 since 2005. I'm still curious whether its built on the V action (the early ones were) or is it built on the SM action?

Don't let him keep it. Even with a dud barrel, its worth something to somebody.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Email Sako/Beretta and send them a link to this thread. Let them know that not only are you not willing to be pushed around, you're also talking to people about them and their customer service.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still do not understand what either Sako or the repair center did wrong?? What is the argument being it is an old used rifle that is out of warranty???

- Clint Eastwood
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still do not understand what either Sako or the repair center did wrong?? What is the argument being it is an old used rifle that is out of warranty???

+1

Sounds to me like the issue should be with the seller, not the manufacturer at this stage of the game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of years ago I bought a used Model 75 Sako in 25-06. After putting a few hundred rounds through it and not performing to my satisfaction it went down the road as a trade on another gun. Don't raise your blood pressure to the point of having a stroke over an unsatisfactory gun. Move on, thats the smartest thing to do IMO.

These days I stick to new guns so if there is a problem there is some warranty to fall back on.
Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw the gun, had it in my hands and looked at the target in the box. The chambers were not finished. Someone there put the wrong gun in the box and it left...

If you don't believe it you can ask Lee. He is now CEO of a major arms importer in TX.

I don't remember the exact model, but it was a lesser priced production gun that retailed for around $6,000.00

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/03/10.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Exactly, and I am sorry you got a gun that doesn't shoot. It is awfully frustrating, and most of us have been there at least once.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

had they told me, "sorry, but you are out of warranty, we can fix it, but it will be at your expense" I would have said, no thanks.....and put a for sale sign on it or re tubed it. now I am $200 deeper into a rifle that "should be better"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did speak to a human at beretta today. they told me that they were sorry they had me send the gun in as there is no warranty to the second owner regardless of age. they also said if I want to see the gun again, pay the man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pay for it, get it back then trip the sucker! cause even if it shoots or you re-barrel it, you're still going to resent the gun...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just want to puke at the fact that i am $200 deeper into a pile of chit.

I would have been fine with bedding the gun and trying all my tricks, but I knew they would never honor the warranty. I was happy when they told me to send it in and they would have a peek, now I am so dissapointed that my 686's are going down the road.

I WILL be wearing a shirt that expresses how I feel about beretta at every shoot I go to from now on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
its a 75 finnlight. they can keep he POS.
Brother ,I'll pay the bill on the gun ,if you'll give it to me.Heck,I'll pay the repair and shipping just let me have it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
High Country

Sorry to hear your problems, years back I had good work at Bolsa until last year. Took a BLR that Browning claimed they would repair the trigger (nearly 8 lb pull) and paid an extra $125 to have "the action cleaned up". Got the gun back and it would misfire on around every third round with factory ammo! Thy shipped it to Browning main service center, three months later I get it back...still a POS! Finally found a gunsmith in Erie PA to fix it right and with shipping it was less than my "warranty" service from Browning. Similiar issues with Winchester service when they were in Conn.

So the best bet if you want the gun is to find a good gunsmith and have it fixed right.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did speak to a human at beretta today. they told me that they were sorry they had me send the gun in as there is no warranty to the second owner regardless of age. they also said if I want to see the gun again, pay the man.

i don't understand that they (Beretta) even admit they should not have told you to send it in, which then in my opinion puts the error on them and not the consumer. at that point (& i wish you had gotten that on a recording)to me anyway, it is their error and their financial responcibility. heck the fact that the repair center never told you the repairs were going to be on your dime is yet another error on the repair centers fault, again IMHO putting the burden of repair cost onto them. there has to be someplace you can file a legit complaint and cause them some grief somewhere.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sako and Beretta was a marriage made in Hell. At least when Garcia and Stoeger imported them Sako still called the shots. That Barrel steel problem they had a few years back should be blamed on Beretta since they were trying to up production of Sako barrels since I guess they were not being made fast enough. Berettas customer service is flat out terrible and has been since inception.

That said this rifle is clearly out of warranty and it is the discretion of the manufacturer on whether the customer gets charged or not. I have sent in Rugers,Winchesters and most of all Remingtons back for work after the warranty period expired and the only mfr that never charged was Browning(Winchester). In fact I bought a 1995 Model 70 SS laminate last year and the bolt handle assembly was not on right(this was a NIB rifle BTW) it went back to Browning and they charged me zip nada for fixing the problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
browning gave me a brand new rifle when i sent in a 10 yr old non original owner micro last winter for accuracy issues. i was floored to say the least.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Beretta/Sako/Burris,Benelli/etc. There seems to be a very clear pattern here, poor customer service is the common thread. All companies owned by Beretta, too. Hmmmmmm......

Funny thing is, the Beretta outfit down in Australia has nothing but praise heaped on it. I wonder why they treat the US buyers so differently? Downunder, they have a stellar reputation for service above and beyond.
I've talked to the Sako/Tikka guys at the NRA Convention, and came away vowing to never buy anything from them, arrogance personified, IMHO.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A kid here at work needed a part for his Benelli. Every time he called they told him the part was not available and they would call him when it came in. He had a Pheasant hunt in Nebraska coming up. Every day he called several times and on the fourth day he got his part. The person at Beretta said they were in stock the whole time.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

i don't understand that they (Beretta) even admit they should not have told you to send it in, which then in my opinion puts the error on them and not the consumer. at that point (& i wish you had gotten that on a recording)to me anyway, it is their error and their financial responcibility. heck the fact that the repair center never told you the repairs were going to be on your dime is yet another error on the repair centers fault, again IMHO putting the burden of repair cost onto them. there has to be someplace you can file a legit complaint and cause them some grief somewhere.

and therein lies th root of my anger on this deal. had they told me it would get fixed on my dime I would have understood.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a Beretta Xtrema a while ago. Had the gun for a few months and shot some 3 1/2" rounds thru it. I noticed a scratch running down the bore and could not get it out by cleaning the gun no matter what I tried . Sent it in to Beretta and it came back in 3 weeks untouched. They told me the gun was within specs and that it was just the chrome plating removed....I guess they didn't want to replace an almost 500 dollar barrel because of cosmetic purposes. To me it was a faulty plating job. I don't own the gun anymore.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Geeze, I've been thinking a Sako Forum would be nice.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Buy a remington? What kind of advise is that. Do you not like the guy? grin They have the absolute worst service department in my opinion. They sent me a rifle back that shot 2-3 moa saying that it was well within acceptable parameters.. laugh

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe it shot better for them. wink

Kiddin' aside, I'm batting about .800 on Remington (700's, not Sevens),.500 on Winchesters and .200 on Sako. I'd have to say that Savage is the only rifle brand that I have never had "not shoot".

Last edited by ltppowell; 09/06/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it shot better for them. wink

Kiddin' aside, I'm batting about .800 on Remington (700's, not Sevens),.500 on Winchesters and .200 on Sako. I'd have to say that Savage is the only rifle brand that I have never had "not shoot".

I am with you on the savage for sure! wink

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kend

Their is one----------> http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/

I am not posting this stuff and being a chearleader for Beretta, but I have a Benelli that a small chunk of the APG camo blew off when I used my air compressor on it, and I called Benelli in MD and they had me ship it back and they recamo'd the barrel under warranty, all went well with my customer service dealings.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sako4me
Originally Posted by kend

Their is one----------> http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/

I am not posting this stuff and being a chealeader for Beretta, but I have a Benelli that a small chunk of the APG camo blew off when I used my air compressor on it, and I called Benelli in MD and they had me ship it back and they recamo'd the barrel under warranty, all went well with my customer service dealings.

should that have happened to me I would have bought a powerball ticket. their "customer service" dept is a bunch of CSer's in my eyes. it seems a poor business plan to screw the few rifle and high budget shotgun loonies left that are employed.....oh well.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am a sako-a-holic and know that beretta's customer service is chit. When I started buying Sako's I was tired of Remingtons that shot 3 to 4 inches at a 100 yards and did not really have the knowledge to build a semi-custom/custom. Now I think I have the knowledge to build a semi-custom gun but am scared that it will not shoot with my Sako's.

I love to buy/sell/trade rifles and for the money I still think Sako offers the best chance of a really accurate (1/2 inch) factory rifle. I have never seen one that would not shoot but have no doubt they are out there.

Dink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have had some of those remingtons! The funniest was a light tactical rifle that would not shoot match ammo! Had that one for a month or so.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Been there done that, fire fly's rectum reticle POS, after 4 months they just sent me a check. grin

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
HC,

Good grief, you bought a several year old rifle. Ever think that you should have inspected it first? Could have been damaged by the previous owner. Your mistake man suck it up. Probably nothing you can say will damage Sako's reputation thier history speaks for itself. BTW I have a used Ford explorer for sale with 100K on it burns a little oil but maybe you can get Ford to put a new engine in it. Let me know if your intrested.

LC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NOTHING can damage Sako's reputation with some people.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
leftycarbon,
Just my opinion but why wouldn't Sako want to fix it? Bought used or not a Sako 75 can not be very old and who cares who bought it first. I think of it this way, what does a new barrel cost Sako/Beretta? $50-$100 maybe. Now for that price there is a $1200 to $1500 (new price) sako floating around that won't shoot. How many hands is that bad Sako going to pass through? How many of those guys will never buy another?

Now if the damage is caused by abuse or the throat is worn out from shooting and they tell you its not there problem well I understand that.

Just my opinion.
Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DINK
leftycarbon,
Just my opinion but why wouldn't Sako want to fix it? Bought used or not a Sako 75 can not be very old and who cares who bought it first. I think of it this way, what does a new barrel cost Sako/Beretta? $50-$100 maybe. Now for that price there is a $1200 to $1500 (new price) sako floating around that won't shoot. How many hands is that bad Sako going to pass through? How many of those guys will never buy another?

Now if the damage is caused by abuse or the throat is worn out from shooting and they tell you its not there problem well I understand that.

Just my opinion.
Dink

Now that's talking sense. I can only guage from my own experience, but I don't think most people have a clue whether their rifle shoot MOA, or not. I'm sure there are some good shooters out there, but I'm one-out-of-five, and I can't believe my luck is that bad. It doesn't help when you bring them to
top-shelf rifle builders for rebarreling and they always say the same thing..."They are nice rifles, but I won't guarantee I can make it shoot.".

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Used rifle...scrape up the bore. Previous owner could have been a handloader..squib load bullet lodged in the bore. Put a rod in and hammered it out? I have seen it. Dirt or grit in the bore and fired it nice deep sctatches up the bore.

By a used rifle w/o inspecting and expecting the factory to suck up the buyers mistake. LOL

I don't get it.

LC

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pat,

I have seen you post before about not being lucky with sako's. Were these older guns or 75's, 85's? I have been very lucky with sako's with most them shooting true 1/2 inch groups (3 shots). I think I own 5 right now and 4 will shoot enough 1/2 inch groups to make your day and the 5th I have not shot yet.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Google "Sako Target Rifles".

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Used rifle...scrape up the bore. Previous owner could have been a handloader..squib load bullet lodged in the bore. Put a rod in and hammered it out? I have seen it. Dirt or grit in the bore and fired it nice deep sctatches up the bore.

By a used rifle w/o inspecting and expecting the factory to suck up the buyers mistake. LOL

I don't get it.

LC

Lefty carbon I understand what your saying and I am not saying your wrong. In my opinion most of the guys that buy sako's are "gun men" and not afraid to buy guns. Why would a high end company want one there rifles floating around that will not shoot for the price of a barrel? One bad rifle could probaly go through twenty rifle guys that say "[bleep] sako never again". Its hard to say how many more guns these guys will buy in there lifetime.

I buy/sell/trade alot of guns (11 this year alone so far) and have taken my share of ass burnings. It is part of the deal. The guys buying sako's are not the guys buying deer rifles at wal-mart two days before deer season. They price there rifles high and they should not be afraid to fix one that does not shoot unless there is obvious signs of abuse.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The first, and best, is a Sako Vixon .222, that I inherited. It is an MOA gun with factory ammo. Then I bought a new 7mm Rem Mag, back around the early 90's. It was a 6 moa rifle. It was returned by the store to Sako (whoever) and returned where it was a 2 moa rifle. I traded it for a Benelli SBE. The next was an older 30-06 Finnbear that shot okay 1.5 with handloads, but certainly not a barn-burner. Then I bought a new Forester in .243, another 2" rifle. It came back worse. I was REALLY dissapointed in this one...it was beautiful. I had it rebarreled and it still wouldn't shoot. The last was an A7 that had already been customized in 25-06. It was junk, and I kept the S&B scope it had on it. You see, I really want one, but ANY rifle that doesn't shoot doesn't stay in my closet.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
HC,

Good grief, you bought a several year old rifle. Ever think that you should have inspected it first? Could have been damaged by the previous owner. Your mistake man suck it up. Probably nothing you can say will damage Sako's reputation thier history speaks for itself. BTW I have a used Ford explorer for sale with 100K on it burns a little oil but maybe you can get Ford to put a new engine in it. Let me know if your intrested.

LC

do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I called bereta and asked if they would fix it even though I bought it used. they told me they would and to send it in to bolsa. they did not say that it would be at my expense. bolsa is not sureif it will be any better then when it arrived, but they are sure it will be at my expense.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The first, and best, is a Sako Vixon .222, that I inherited. It is an MOA gun with factory ammo. Then I bought a new 7mm Rem Mag, back around the early 90's. It was a 6 moa rifle. It was returned by the store to Sako (whoever) and returned where it was a 2 moa rifle. I traded it for a Benelli SBE. The next was an older 30-06 Finnbear that shot okay 1.5 with handloads, but certainly not a barn-burner. Then I bought a new Forester in .243, another 2" rifle. It came back worse. I was REALLY dissapointed in this one...it was beautiful. I had it rebarreled and it still wouldn't shoot. The last was an A7 that had already been customized in 25-06. It was junk, and I kept the S&B scope it had on it. You see, I really want one, but ANY rifle that doesn't shoot doesn't stay in my closet.

I am with you. I have plenty of very fine shooting irons, but thought it would be neat to have a factoy gun to loan out to my friends that shot very well. I should have known better.

on a lighter note I did buy a few rifles this month that do shoot well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Aint that the truth!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
being i work 3 miles from Bolsa And have been in there several times. Fred has a newer gunsmith now than he did in the past and How do i say this..... " his skill is not what it should be" based on work I have had them perform.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sad to hear that. I've also spent a lot of time there, though it's been several years since I made the drive down from Ventura County. Fred did a lot of work for me and quality was always excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High Country, no offense intended to your shooting abilities at all, but I'd sure like to give that one a go. Too bad there's an invisible line between us...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
being i work 3 miles from Bolsa And have been in there several times. Fred has a newer gunsmith now than he did in the past and How do i say this..... " his skill is not what it should be" based on work I have had them perform.

ML

any chance you could go in there and see if you could explain the circumstances on this one and see if they might try to help him out?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blargon
High Country, no offense intended to your shooting abilities at all, but I'd sure like to give that one a go. Too bad there's an invisible line between us...

I hear ya on everyones shooting ability on any day, but the dang thing never could break out of the 2mao area by much. I tripped these two rifles because they did not meet my expectaions
[Linked Image]

I spoke to josh at bolsa and jim at beretta both seem like good enough guys. josh offered to eat the shipping on my rifle, which was nice, but like I told him I think it is damn near like ransom money to go about it the way they did. beretta offered to call bolsa, because they value me as a customer....or something like that he said. to think I was thinking of collecting silver hawks....lol

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.