Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used sako off the fire and it was not a shooter at all. I went through extensive load development and finally gave up when it was obvious that it was simply a 2moa gun. I cleaned it and borescoped it and found a odd scratch that ran down the bore in a spiral opposite the riflings. I called the service center at sako, which forwarded me to bolsa gunsmithing in california. I explained my situation and such to the fellow, being very clear that I am not the original purchaserof this rifle and am just hoping that they will honor the 1moa guarentee. he tells me no problem, send it down.

off it goes.....shipping on my dime, I am ok with that, but I wish it were a smith and wesson. a few weeks pass and today I recieved a call asking me to call bolsa gunsmithing to make a decision on what to do. they told me that the barrel is odd and they lapped it, but the mark is just in the steel and will not affect accuracy. they offered to re cut and crown my barrel, but would need my ok. I told them I sent the gun to them to get it up to sakos guarentee and I did not care what they do to make the gun shoot short of sticking gum under the barrel, it is a sako and should at least get close to an inch. I was told that would be a $95.00 repair.

instantly I am pissed. I send a gun off to a shop for warranty work, they lap the bore and say "its fixed", I ask how it shoots, they say it should be fine and that will be $125.00......odd because sako said it should shoot too. so now I am torn between just saying screw it and telling them to keep it. that frickin POS is not worth the price of the shippig and repair.

I would appreciated it if someone could send me a # to an english speaking human from sako so I can explain to them that I have a strong 40 more years of gun buying and it will exclude them, I feel like I could have at least got some KY jelly.

completely dissapointed in sako.

Greg

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sorry to hear of your experience, but I've always known Bolsa to do good work. I'm confused about the "odd barrel" part. If it's an authorized warranty repair center, why wouldn't they replace the barrel, if necessary? And why are they charging you? Is the work NOT covered under warranty?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call Sako back and try to get the situation rectified, meaning they pick up the tab for the fix like they told you on the phone. I know it's tough, but be nice as pie until it is obvious nothing is going to happen. Ask for someone else to talk with if you aren't getting anywhere. Be nice, be persistant. I went through a similar situation with Pentax, (long story) but finally found the guy who could make things right.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
I bought a used sako off the fire and it was not a shooter at all. I went through extensive load development and finally gave up when it was obvious that it was simply a 2moa gun. I cleaned it and borescoped it and found a odd scratch that ran down the bore in a spiral opposite the riflings. I called the service center at sako, which forwarded me to bolsa gunsmithing in california. I explained my situation and such to the fellow, being very clear that I am not the original purchaserof this rifle and am just hoping that they will honor the 1moa guarentee. he tells me no problem, send it down.

off it goes.....shipping on my dime, I am ok with that, but I wish it were a smith and wesson. a few weeks pass and today I recieved a call asking me to call bolsa gunsmithing to make a decision on what to do. they told me that the barrel is odd and they lapped it, but the mark is just in the steel and will not affect accuracy. they offered to re cut and crown my barrel, but would need my ok. I told them I sent the gun to them to get it up to sakos guarentee and I did not care what they do to make the gun shoot short of sticking gum under the barrel, it is a sako and should at least get close to an inch. I was told that would be a $95.00 repair.

instantly I am pissed. I send a gun off to a shop for warranty work, they lap the bore and say "its fixed", I ask how it shoots, they say it should be fine and that will be $125.00......odd because sako said it should shoot too. so now I am torn between just saying screw it and telling them to keep it. that frickin POS is not worth the price of the shippig and repair.

I would appreciated it if someone could send me a # to an english speaking human from sako so I can explain to them that I have a strong 40 more years of gun buying and it will exclude them, I feel like I could have at least got some KY jelly.

completely dissapointed in sako.

Greg

Wow a Sako with a problem, unheard of! must be a mistake they are perfect!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bolsa is the number that I was connected to via sako. I called sako and they transfered me to bolsa. Bolsa now has no record of our conversation, and says the gun is out of warranty. why on gods green earth would I send my rifle to a smith in california to pay for work when I live 10 minutes from carlock, bemal, doyle and others that can do the work here and not cost me a ton of shipping?....oh, thats right, because they told e to send it to them.

I am so far from happy right now I can't even get a range on it.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If Sako told you to send it there for warranty work, they have to make it right. It sucks, but persistence pays. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Lonny's advice is solid.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did the original owner tell you about the bore ID damage prior to selling the rifle? Did he/she have an explaination as to why he/she couldn't get it to shoot and why he/she didn't contact Sako with the issues??

I believe Sako has a 2 year guarantee and if registered within a certain number of days after purchase, they extend the guarantee an additional year or two. If the original owner couldn't get it to shoot using nothing more than a premium factory load, it may require a few different loads to find the best, then why didn't he or she contact Sako at that point to have it corrected while under guarantee??? If he/she later damaged the rifle while outside of warranty and then dumped it off through a sale, why would Sako then be responsible for the damage especially if it is now out of warranty??? If he/she claims the rifle shot a specific load accurately, what happened from that time to when it was shipped to you????

If your repairs were authorized under waranty due to defects in material or workmanship, they should have given you an authorization number for your records. There's too many details missing.

Good Luck:)

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/02/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gary, the original owner told me it shot OK, not sub moa, but ok. I tried plenty of loads and not any would shoot much better then 2moa consistently. the marking in the barrel is not something that could be done by a person, it looks to be inside the metal, it was there before and after bolsa lapped it. I agree it is not sakos responsibility to warranty the guns they saell forever, afterall they are going to wear out. the part that I am beyond pissed about is paying the shipping to a repair facility, and getting a bill for it to come back with an explaination like "there is an odd mark in the barrel, but we lapped it, and it should not affect accuracy".....come on. if you call smith and wesson they take a note of the call and send a shipping label.....not transfer you to a private gunsmith and let him charge you. if they had called and told me it was out of warranty and it would cost me $125.00 to lap the bore, I would have told them to send it back and I will do it myself.

instead they tell me they think it should be better and to give it a try, if not.....send it back.

I think not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako should have placed you in contact with an authorized repair facility. You would need to make the decision to send the rifle to that facility to determine if it is a warranty repair or not. If it is not a warranty repair, they should have requested your authorization to make any repairs if needed. If it was out of warranty and you gave authority for repairs, you'd be billed.

If you felt it should have been a repair under warranty, at that point you could have become a squeaky wheel to both the repair facility and to Sako. Not sure what you would have needed to prove it was a warranty repair, but by authorizing a non-warranty repair, you may have placed yourself at a disadvantage.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for Sako, I'm just trying to get the full picture so that the best advice can come forward to salvage the situation.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's ok, rap a Bushnell on something hard and send that in for warranty work. A few weeks of dealing with them will make you forget all about Sako.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Sako should have placed you in contact with an authorized repair facility. You would need to make the decision to send the rifle to that facility to determine if it is a warranty repair or not. If it is not a warranty repair, they should have requested your authorization to make any repairs if needed. If it was out of warranty and you gave authority for repairs, you'd be billed.

If you felt it should have been a repair under warranty, at that point you could have become a squeaky wheel to both the repair facility and to Sako. Not sure what you would have needed to prove it was a warranty repair, but by authorizing a non-warranty repair, you may have placed yourself at a disadvantage.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for Sako, I'm just trying to get the full picture so that the best advice can come forward to salvage the situation.

please explain how I would have authorized any out of warranty repairs? I expressly would not allow that. I would send it down the road or rebarrel it before I paid for any mods that may or may not work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any work done by the repair center that was not covered by warranty, to be paid by Sako, would need to have your approval before they went ahead with the work. If you are saying that you are upset because they are charging you for work performed, you would have had to give them the okay to do so in the first place. If you are saying you are upset that they didn't perform the work for free or you want them to perform the work for free, then why should they if it is out of warranty??

I thought your post indicated that your repairs were out of warranty and that the repair center gave you an option for an out of warranty repair and further needed your decision if they were to perform the work. Did they perform the work or not? If you feel like it should be covered under warranty, then explain your argument so that you can be given proper advice to pursue that course.

Bottom line, it costs too much money to ship firearms overseas for repair at the manufacturer and therefore Sako must have local authorized repair centers. No one can tell you over the phone based on just a conversation that such a firearm is damaged under warranty, it must go to the authorized repair center to be evaluated. In your case it sounds like this was done and you were told that you were out of warranty. If that's where it stands then maybe you can come up with valid arguments to change this decision. If you cannot, then this point is now moot and you need to move on. If it is indeed out of warranty but the repair center can offer a valid fix for a fair price, then I'd give it a go being it is now there.

This is the pitfall with buying used firearms that are now out of warranty. It is often a gamble, sometimes it is a great deal, other times you're getting someone else's problem.

Good Luck:)

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
High country I have been told by beretta that Sako's must be returned to them for warranty work not some gunsmith. Beretta's customer service has always been piss poor but I have never heard of sending a warranty claim to someone else.

I would send a email to Sako and not beretta and see what you can get done with it.

I will give your shipping back for it.....ducking... shocked

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 09/02/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, I hate to say I told ya so, but I did. Nothing new there. Just hope you get lucky next time or buy a Remington or Savage. Sako's do have really smooth actions though...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta USA currently has five service centers available to consumers and dealers located in the United States. These service centers are fully equipped to handle general maintenance and service requirements as well as warranty repairs for Beretta, Sako, and Tikka firearms:

http://www.berettausa.com/service/find_a_service_center.aspx

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/02/10.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Damn, I hate to say I told ya so, but I did. Nothing new there. Just hope you get lucky next time or buy a Remington or Savage. Sako's do have really smooth actions though...

I have plenty of both, I was just looking to add to the collection a rifle that would fit my backpack hunting style.

oops.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand completely. I've always heard so much good about them, and as I said, they are smooth and pretty. I've owned three and they were all dogs. I would like to say "never again" but I know better than that. I just can't believe that so many people are wrong, but I can't believe that I'm just that unlucky either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beginning in May 2010, Beretta has transitioned the majority of its firearm servicing to its service centers. These service centers are located nationwide and are equipped to handle the vast majority of warranty and non-warranty servicing requirements. Please click here for firearm return instructions, forms and a listing of Beretta-authorized factory service centers.

Customers should send their firearms directly to a service center and not to the Beretta USA Accokeek, MD facility unless advised to do so by a service center. Firearms received by the Accokeek, MD facility that have not been referred by a service center will experience longer service turnaround times since they will be serviced on a lower priority basis than those firearms received on a service center referral basis.

If your firearm is being serviced at Accokeek, please click here to check its service status. For all other service centers, please contact the respective service center directly.
There is no requirement for an RMA or pre-approval prior to sending your firearm to a service center.

If you need parts for your current model firearm, please contact our parts supplier Brownells. Beretta USA does not sell parts directly to dealers or the public.

For older firearms no longer listed in our current catalog, you should sent your firearm to MidWest Gun Works, one of our service centers that specializes in parts and service for these types of firearms. You can obtain their contact information here.
If you have an older firearm requiring restoration, please contact Midwest Gun Works or Bolsa Gunsmithing to obtain a quote for this service.

Even the best firearms in the world occasionally need to be serviced!

If you wish to ship a firearm to a Beretta Authorized Service Center, please do the following:

1. Send the complete firearm, including choke tubes for shotguns and magazines for pistols. We cannot perform a proper diagnosis of your problem without all of the pieces of your firearm! Please ensure that your firearm is cleared of live ammunition. Do not ship your firearm with a live round in the chamber or magazine.

2. Securely package your firearm and insure it against loss, damage and theft. If you are uncertain of how to ship your firearm, please check out UPS or Federal Express to learn more on your shipping options. (If shipping a handgun, you must specify Next Day Air delivery). Do not ship your firearm in a box that bears ammunition or any other hazardous material markings.

3. After you have packaged your firearm, please place a letter or note in the box describing the problem with the firearm or complete this repair form. Please include the following information:
Your name
Return street address (no Post Office boxes - we cannot ship to them) including city, state and zip
Description of the problem with your firearm and type of ammunition used
Telephone number and e-mail address where we can contact you if we have questions
Enclose a copy of your original sales receipt
Enclose a copy of your Fed Ex or UPS shipping invoice

4. Once you have completed the above steps, ship your firearm to a Beretta Authorized Service Center.

5. Upon receipt of your firearm, we will repair it according to your instructions or contact you if we have any questions or require your authorization to proceed. Customers that ship their firearms to the Accokeek Service Center will be mailed a receipt confirmation. For all other service centers, please contact the service center to verify receipt and status of your firearm.

6. To check on the status of the repair, please call the phone number of the service center where you shipped your firearm. Please have the serial number of your firearm available when you call.

7. If your firearm is no longer under warranty, you may be charged a $70.00 evaluation fee. This fee is waived if the customer approves to payment for the repairs. There may be additional charges for the actual repairs. Please click here for more information on our policies regarding shipping charges and fees.

8. NOTICE: If your state or local law requires that you have a serial number specific ownership permit for any handgun you receive, or if you are required by state or local law to receive a replacement handgun only through a licensed firearm dealer, please notify us so that we can provide you with the serial number of your replacement handgun and so that we can make arrangements to deliver your handgun in accordance with those requirements.

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Put a new barrel on it.

What model is it?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
its a 75 finnlight. they can keep he POS.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.