Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
it's been 12 years now since i had a hunting dog of my own... been some rough years along the way, with one job closing down, and starting a new career in heavy construction...

and i'm on the road a lot...

one of the dogs we had a while back was our chessy bitch, Rio... always wanted another like her...

found a litter early this summer, but i was tied up with gutting and remodeling my bathroom... i waited too long and they were gone...

i found another guy, a month ago, with 4 left from a litter that had all been sold when they hit the ground... tough times for many and several buyers backed out...
the pups were 3 months old when i first contacted the breeder... i couldn't get there til today and the one male pup he has left is nearly 4 months old...

the breeder is a one man show... a single retired guy, who specializes in english setters...
he also keeps a pair of chessies, and these were the sire and dam of the litter...

before i went through his gate, i started wondering if the guy had more dogs than he could handle...
i was disappointed to find that the chessie pup, kenneled with a setter pup of about the same age, had apparently not been socialized well...

he was not afraid of us, but we spent an hour and a half there, and the pup would not come to us voluntarily until we were almost ready to leave...
at first, he would stand quietly and allow himself to be handled and petted, but we had to catch him to do it...
he was not shy about having his feet, mouth, and tail handled and checked... he just seemed to quietly ignore it...
when the breeder called him to come, he usually came, but it was apparent to us that the pup had not had much attention given to him...

a couple of times, right before we left, pup decided that it was worth coming to us to get his ears stroked...
he had not had his dew claws removed, nor had most of the dogs in the kennel...

my wife quietly asked me if it was a puppy mill... and i had to think about it...
i think instead that it is a retired guy, widowed or divorced (just guessing), who has let his passion for fine dogs overwhelm him...
he has pictures of a bunch of buddies that he travels to the dakotas to hunt with... and i'm sure that, if i were retired and hunted as much as i want to, i could find a place for a few more dogs...

i'd like to have this pup... both the sire and dam were good looking dogs... they were well trained and socialized... friendly, enough, especially the female... the male just a tad standoffish, maybe...

it's the wrong time of year for me...
i'm gone, sometimes for weeks and months, in the fall and winter...
i had all summer to start a pup on his citizenship merit badge... summer is about done...

thoughts???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Drop back and punt...

Youve got a bad situation from the get go, and it will only be made worse by your absence...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not fair to the wife or the dog, IMO.

If you decide you absolutely have to get one, get two....company. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Per this particular pup.....I wouldn't. Although he may turn out a perfectly nice pup, sounds like he needs some one on one NOW if taken home, not months down the road to curtail any fear issues in him. JMO.
If your wife doesn't mind caring for a pup & you find one with no possible issues, go for it, won't hurt pup a bit to be just a pup until next summer & start field training then. Word of caution,.....eye issues are becoming problematic in Chessies, makes certain both parents have eye cerfs from a certified opthomolic vet, not a regular vet.
Good luck, hope ya find a pup!!!

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John-W, I'll give you some rock solid advice on this puppy! You are asking for a problem with dog and wife first off and then your not being there on a regular basis to inforce companionship and bond with this pup is going to be a tuff nut to crack. I am telling you to pass and locate another breeder.

You can go to Gun Dog Breeders.com and find when litters are going to be on the ground etc. Also what kind of breeding and pedigree the pup will have, which in my eyes means an awful lot. Good Luck!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Not certain where you are located (there is always shipping), but I can highly recommend this breeder:
http://www.concordcreek.com/
She does all health cerfs, her Chessies have wonderful dispositions & handle easily, lot of natural retrieve. I have personally worked with them & even done retreiving work with them & my GSPS together. She has a planned breeding this November/December, so pups will be ready about March/April.

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thanks for the thoughts...

i want this pup... but he's not the last chessie pup, and i agree that i'm in the wrong position, now, to do right by him...

the breeder has not had eyes or hips checked on the parent animals... he claims 4 previous breedings from the pair with no complaints...
but one is 5 yrs, the other almost 6 yrs old... 4 litters kinda sounds like puppy milling, intentional or not....

at any rate, i'll still be looking, come spring, for a pup....

thanks again....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Drop back and punt...

Youve got a bad situation from the get go, and it will only be made worse by your absence...

Ingwe

Solid advice here. Give it another shot in the spring when your time frees up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just can't see the big picture for all the red flags waving everywhere.... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.