-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In Africa you can take a shower every night, eat sitting at a table with silverware, have your laundry done daily, and never ever worry about rain or cold weather.

That ain't hunting...that's a resort!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by fish head
I just had to say "guess" because Art likes to yell at me when I guess. smile

fish head,

You like shooting over bait, don't you? wink

TFF

John

I've never hunted over bait but I have been known to chum a little while fishing. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
In Africa you can take a shower every night, eat sitting at a table with silverware, have your laundry done daily, and never ever worry about rain or cold weather.

That ain't hunting...that's a resort!

It's hunting, and a resort....and we be going back in April! According to some of the African experts on the 'fire, I'm basically a pampered sissy, with no hunting skills, and could never be successful at real hunting in Alaska......whatever. I like hunting there, as I like hunting here, or anywhere else for that matter. If I'm hunting, I'm happy. I've outgrown the whole tough guy, hardship thing. BTDT, and have nada to prove to anyone.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sissy! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
At least when going to Alaska you don't need a plethora of shots to stave off diseases....unless your going to Bethel. smile

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
At least when going to Alaska you don't need a plethora of shots to stave off diseases....unless your going to Bethel. smile

TFF!

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sissy! smile

wink

How ya been Mike? Haven't been in your neck of the woods lately.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

TFF!

John

Really funny. Hep A & B shots ain't a bad idea......really.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of shots, I'm thinking Alaska is cheaper when it comes to shots, that is, shooting; generally one or two. Africa involves what? Half a dozen at least! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some places in SA don't require anything. I was recommended, but not required a tetanus booster.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Speaking of shots, I'm thinking Alaska is cheaper when it comes to shots, that is, shooting; generally one or two. Africa involves what? Half a dozen at least! wink

You definitely need to take plenty of ammo there! Not like here at home, where a guy could hunt out of the same box of cartridges for several seasons! Unless you hunt deer, or caribou in a generous bag limit unit, it's pretty much a one shot affair...or so.

Jeff

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff,

How's things? Have a great time in Africa.

I'll be back in Cordova in two weeks. I'm sure that town will feel like a "resort" when I get back down off the hill. grin I know the last time the shower felt like heaven after being rain chilled.

As you probably know Pa. has been in the 90s for about a month. Getting old to say the least.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harry,

Been doing great, and hope you're doing the same! Have a great hunt! Let me know if you have a layover in Anchorage. Doubt I'll be home, but you never know.

I should be back for opening day of deer season...will stay in touch.

Jeff

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm sure there are pros and cons to both, but at least I don't remember ever getting bit by a Tsetse fly in AK, maybe I was just lucky?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or cold weather.

I've not been there (Africa), but do know via friends that a good down jacket is often well appreciated.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/10/10.

1Minute
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have hunted quite a bit in Alaska and Africa. As a matter of fact Alaska is ahead by one hunt right now, so will have to fix that.

Have hunted in tsetse-fly country and only was occasionally bitten. Several times in Alaska I've almost gotten my ass chewed off by mosquitoes or other small insects. There are also MANY more large animals that will bite or stomp you death in Africa. However, in Alaska the terrain or weather is much more likely to get you, often combined with a light airplane.

Alaska is indeed the great land, but it isn't the only place on earth. The two places are VERY different experiences, and trying to compare them is just about nonsensical.

I will admit that as I get older, wearing the same clothes for several days in a row, living in tents where I can't quite stand up, eating freeze-dried food, and driving the mosquitoes from the tent before crawling into the sleeping bag doesn't seem quite as appealing as daily showers and laundry service, a real bed (whether in a tent or hut), being served excellent food, and almost never seeing a mosquito or raindrop seems pretty nice.

There's also the thing about seeing LOTS of game, instead of a moose or bear once in a while. On the other hand, I have yet to be anyplace in Africa where the fishing is as good as almost anywhere in Alaska.

They are both great, but in different ways. I do find it odd that so many hunters have so little curiosity about seeing a different part of the world.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couldn't agree more, John. An excellent summary IMO. I intend to do my damndest to try an up my Africa hunts to equal the AK hunts.....or go broke trying! grin I love both places, and couldn't imagine being without either one.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JB
Alaska is indeed the great land, but it isn't the only place on earth.

Yep, just the best!

In the interest of full disclosure, I admit to a touch of bias. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Africa is for wimps! You haven't hunted until you have had to pack your bull moose across a mile or two of swampy tundra, while being chased by brown bears, mosquitos and nosesums. However, there's usually plenty of daylight to do this. lol

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Africa is for wimps! You haven't hunted until you have had to pack your bull moose across a mile or two of swampy tundra, while being chased by brown bears, mosquitos and nosesums. However, there's usually plenty of daylight to do this. lol

AND!! Only in Alaska do you siwash it at night on top of a mountain while sheep hunting. Food is pemmican & clif bars. No sleeping bag or tent - Integral Designs jacket & pants and a 6'x8' tarp for a leanto against a rock for a bit of protection from the rain. Oh!! Don't mention the fun from getting blisters. Yeah!! I'll take Ak. every time. Gotta go back for more.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 09/11/10.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 3,341 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.