-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all, i bought a rather cheap Lyman powder trickler and the powder wont flow thru the thing, it seems to clog uo at the hole in the hopper, would drilling the hole bigger help or would it also have trouble flowing thru the pipe??
any help appreciated
douglass

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the RCBS model and decided long ago that it was a pain in the butt particularly with stick powder. My favorite powder trickler has become one of those yellow Lee powder scoops and judicious taps of my index finger.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The "best" tricklers are Redding and Hornady. And they ain't much. I gave up on commercial tricklers and made my own, it's great but it ain't for sale.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the RCBS model and I don't have any issues with it. Stick, ball, flake, they all seem to work fine for me. It's the only one I've ever used though, so I couldn't say if it's better or worse than anything else.

boomtube, what makes the Redding and Hornady the "best"? Just curious.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
RCBS works fine for me also. No issues

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my powder trickler is a 300 mag case,just dump some in and work back and forth with fore finger and thumb.ya i am cheap.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite, after trying all the store-bought ones, is a stainless-steel teaspoon, controlled with gentle taps with my forefinger. I can very easily dribble a single kernel of any powder out of it.

I dump a nearly-there charge out of the powder measure, then bring it up to the desired weight with that handy teaspoon � several kernels if I have to, then a single kernel at a time at the last.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most useless piece of reloading equipment that I ever bought. The worst part is that it takes forever to get it "primed". I am in the camp that uses Lee scoops to top off the pan.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are 2 schools of thought on this...

Weighing the charge or using volume, such as a powder measure. Clint Smith did a test on this with a .308 and found that volume from a powder measure to be as accurate in any hunting application.

I have done the same thing for years and can hit anything I want with any gun I have and don't need a powder trickler at all. I even use a Dillon 650 for loading my 6mm PPC.

I figured that more people would pay attention to what a known shooter/writer would say, but I have had great success over the years with measured charges. I have a trickler I use for load testing, once the load is found the volume method will work every bit as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
There are 2 schools of thought on this...

Weighing the charge or using volume, such as a powder measure. Clint Smith did a test on this with a .308 and found that volume from a powder measure to be as accurate in any hunting application.

I have done the same thing for years and can hit anything I want with any gun I have and don't need a powder trickler at all. I even use a Dillon 650 for loading my 6mm PPC.

I figured that more people would pay attention to what a known shooter/writer would say, but I have had great success over the years with measured charges. I have a trickler I use for load testing, once the load is found the volume method will work every bit as well.

A GOOD powder measure like a Redding will load ammo that will group at 100yd just as accurately (all other varibles equal) as weighed charges. You most likely will see lower standard deviations in velocity with the weighed charges, this will help to minimize vertical stringing at long range. If you are loading for shots past 400yd, weigh the charges, and do a ladder test.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
been useing a lyman for years with no problems

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Powder measures are great when you have a bunch to reload but take time to set up. For 20 - 40 rounds I find it faster to weigh charges. I have a set of Lee scoops and pick one that will give just under the desired weight with one or two quick scoops. Then partially fill the scoop and tap out enough powder to balance the scale. Becomes a very quick method with a little practice. My Redding 3BR powder measure throws very repeatable charge weights though I have nothing to compare it with.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

349 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,663
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.