Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I enjoyed eating rabbit as a child and lately I've had the craving for it. I'm going to hunt for it this Fall and Winter. My only concern is disease and parasites. Is it safe to eat wild rabbit? Are there any special precautions I should take? I would appreciate any advice.

GB2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Normal sanitary precautions. Wear gloves.

I had this when I was a kid.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Moss
I enjoyed eating rabbit as a child and lately I've had the craving for it. I'm going to hunt for it this Fall and Winter. My only concern is disease and parasites. Is it safe to eat wild rabbit? Are there any special precautions I should take? I would appreciate any advice.
They say that if you wait till after the first overnight freeze you should be safe because, theoretically, if there's any with a disease, that will kill them by morning. They need to be in tip top health to survive an overnight freeze.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We always followed the old wive's tale that if the month you kill them in has an "R" in it, then you would be OK (i.e., don't kill them for food in May, June, July and August). I'm still alive and with no known ill effects from rabbit meat . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It all comes down to final cooking temperature. Once you get get the meat hot enough to kill any living organisms it doesn't matter as much. Handling infected meat at room temperature and the risk of cross contamination is a different story.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish head
It all comes down to final cooking temperature

Yeah, that's pretty important, too. We always fried the parts and then steamed in the oven for a good long while, mostly to help make it tenderer (is that a word?) but it also got the internal temp up to "safe" levels. Made rabbit pot pies in my Dutch ovens on a campout last year, they didn't last long and this thread is getting me ready to go get some fuzzy tails . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were just talking about wabbits the other day around here.

Think we'll give them a try here.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The old wives tail about no months with an R is the rule we followed as well. I always checked for spots on the lungs and livers, and when there rejected the rabbit. You can eat tame rabbits butchered any time of the year.

Randy formerly posting as medicman

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mrguns
The old wives tail about no months with an R is the rule we followed as well. I always checked for spots on the lungs and livers, and when there rejected the rabbit. You can eat tame rabbits butchered any time of the year.

Ditto! Just check for spots on the lungs and liver real close. As far as cooking that depends if your getting cottontails or snow shoe hare. Cotton tails are easier to prepare but snowshoe hare you need to slow roast or even pressure cook for hours before you will be able to sink a tooth into them. They're tough as nails. Good when you get them tender but just keep in mind it won't be a quick meal.

Last edited by brinky72; 09/10/10.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
we hunt em' and eat em' every year. we don't usually begin hunting until sometime in oct (except when they get too plentiful in the spring and start eating soybeans). we always fry them first, then into either the pressure cooker or oven for a spell. i am aware of the diseases and parisites associated with rabbit, but have never even heard of a case around here. perhaps it has somwething to do with "country cooking". we started wearing gloves 10-12 years ago.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The old tale about only taking rabbit during months with an "R" has more to do with the presence of bot fly larva ("wolves" in Texas). These may be found under the skin of the neck or back during warm weather months....the first frost of the year (or possibly just the time of year....as "first frost" in Texas may be in late December some years) causes them to mature and leave the rabbit.

The larva are ugly but harmless and are btween the skin and meat.....not "in" the meat.....and easy to remove when skinning. I knoiw there are suposed to be some diseases that rabbits have (rabbit fever), but never knew anyone who contracted such......and we always have eaten rabbits 12 months out of the year. Maybe we were just lucky, but I'd not worry too much if I wre you.

By the way, older cottontails and swamp rabbits CAN be pretty tough. We always boil them (or pressure cook) first.....then batter and fry. Or, just use the half-grown ones for fryers and use the older rabbits in stews and soups.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my grandma's nephews caught "rabbit fever" when I was a kid. I remember the family saying he was really sick with it.
Wild rabbit on the menu disappeared for a few years after that. The only time I've ever heard of it until this thread.

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funnily enough the "only when there's an R in the month" approach is traditional over here too, but I always thought it was to avoid shooting milky does??

As far as I know we don't get Tularemia in wild rabbits in the UK and I first heard about it while on a course in the Royal Welch.

Its seen as a potential bioterrorist weapon:

BBC Article

Last edited by Pete E; 09/10/10.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

ALl the bases have been covered. I eat cottontails as CHILI.

Yep, Rabbit chili (boil the meat down to stew meat) and eat with Cornbread.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry shrapnel...I didn't see the 50BMG head shot rascal in there! wink

Nice work!

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel

Are you under gunned? You would probably have better luck catching snipe with a sack than hunting rabbits in my part of KS anymore. We shot tons of them in the 50's and sold them for $.25 a piece. Most were shot with .22 shorts (.25 per box vs .40 for LR's). We never hunted them until after the first hard freeze, and always washed our hands with rubbing alcohol after gutting them for sale. Two families that I knew, crated them gutted in the fur, and shipped them to New Orleans by rail. I think that they got about $1 each.

I had an older uncle that coon hunted with dogs all of his life. After he was too old to walk for coon in the night, he got beagles and hunted rabbits with a shotgun. If we still had rabbits, I would probably have beagles now. Life is good.

Last edited by croldfort; 09/10/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are 2 of the hefty 50's in action...lookout rabbits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tularemia is transmitted by fleas. My cousin in Beacon, New York was a big rabbit hunter and he would say that you could see the fleas hopping off the dead bunnies. He'd stick them in the snow and pick them up on the way back to the car. He was genuinely afraid of it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
also transmitted by getting blood on an open wound...which is how I acquired it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.