Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why the 6.5x47Lapua?? Here's a couple reasons why:

The below group is 17 rounds fired from 1000 yds. Two rounds over on left at 9 o/clock were my sighters and I let one break out of the X ring just a tat below those two during the remaining 15 rounds.

[Linked Image]

The below 5 round group was shot from 1300 yards using the same load and I could cover these 5 with the back of my fist! This cartridge/rifle combo has done this for me on three different occasions. This was my first group fired from this distance and I did not have a definitive zero but it was in the black so I fired 4 remaining rounds. I have since centered the group.

[Linked Image]

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is so special about the 6.5x47 Lapua. everything I read about it indicates that the 264wm out performs it pushing 140 gr bullets faster and flater than the 129 gr in the lapua and the same bullet at least 500fps or more faster and very little recoil in my 12 1/2 lb Rem 721. in fact you can still see your target in the scope after the shot.Just wondering if these targets were certified at those distances and what bullet were you using as at that distance they must have been crawling to the target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the 'new kid on the block' as now the Creedmoor has that place.

It uses high quality Lapua brass and tends to be very accurate, and it is efficient, and effective. YET, so close to the 6.5-08.

If one wants performance, it will not hang trajectory/energy wise w/the 264.

That said, if one's shooting dictates the 47 has the goods, then it's fine.

After doing my recent 260 on a heavier bbl, I plan to do a 6.5 on a sporter, likely either another 260 or perhaps a 47.

The 264 intrigues me, as the 7mm version was just too much for me to enjoy it. Perhaps a 264 in a heavy rifle is a joy and would make we switch ranges to get out to 1,000 for the heck of it.

What does your bbl life average 264wm? I hear if you don't get them hot, they do much better, like a Swift.

Do you shoot 3 and stop, or 5? What contour bbl? Thanks.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 264wm
What is so special about the 6.5x47 Lapua. everything I read about it indicates that the 264wm out performs it pushing 140 gr bullets faster and flater than the 129 gr in the lapua and the same bullet at least 500fps or more faster and very little recoil in my 12 1/2 lb Rem 721. in fact you can still see your target in the scope after the shot.Just wondering if these targets were certified at those distances and what bullet were you using as at that distance they must have been crawling to the target.

264wm

"Just wondering if these targets were certified at those distances and what bullet were you using"

Yes...those targets WERE CERTIFIED....BY ME!! I'm 70 years old and unlike some 'youth of the day'....I don't BS OR LIE! I guess that's from growing up with a Dad that would have had a #12 boot up my arse had he caught me in a lie!! So you'll just have to take my word on the validity of those targets....which I shoot quite often! Targets fired prone using the bipod I might add.

As for the load, I was using the Sierra 123 gr. HPBT with 38.3 grs. Varget, BR4 primers, and Lapua brass! At this loading I figure I should be able to get quite a bit over 2500 rds. without the accuracy going south due to throat erosion! And with the Lapua brass, no neck turning or other BS being required. Weigh the charges, seat the bullet and go shoot! With 'fist-sized' groups from 1300 yds. they 'were crawling' quite well!!

Here's my range. I drive 500 yards north of my homesite and I'm at the 1000 yd. firing line. This photo taken from around the 1250 yd. line late one afternoon! Think this was taken with 17X telephoto lens!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sharpsman; 09/11/10. Reason: Added photo!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With my new heavy barrel after 8 rounds of 100gr Balistic Tip with 65gr H4831 you can still grab the barrel and not get burned. The original Remington barrel after 5 rounds of 100gr HP with 70gr H4831 would give a bad burn if you grabed it. It lasted from 1963 until 2009 and I tryed not to shoot more than 5 rounds without a cool down. My new barrel is a 30" Shilen with a taper starting at 1 1/4" dia to 3/4" dia at the muzzle it has 1 in 8 twist, hand lapped stainles steel, bead blasted with a 11 degree crown. The action and chamber are glass bedded to support the weight and the rest of the barrel is free floating. Recoil is very mild. My belief is if you want to rapid fire get a AR platform which I am considering in 338 federal which has impressive baslistics and energy for a short round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be 65 on the 23rd so I understand the boot. Most people don't understand how far 1000 yards is let alone 1300 yards. Here is a picture of my back poarch shooting range. The fence on the far edge of my pasture is 65 yards and the other side of the fence is State game dept. land for hunting or fishing and I can set targets as far as i want to walk.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 264wm; 09/11/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting sharpsman. The best 10 shot group at 800 yards I have ever seen was shot with my 6.5x47. My buddy stacked all but two of those on a 2 inch target spot, the other two were so close to that spot that they cut the edge of the stick on dot. Same bullet using vv550 if I recall.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
264wm

"Most people don't understand how far 1000 yards is let alone 1300 yards."

I have many shooters that come to my range each year some of which just wish to sight in their deer rifles and others that wish to learn LR shooting. I have asked many to stand on my 300 yard line and look at a 20"x20" steel plate and tell me at what distance it is and more than 60% will tell me...."Why that's at least 500 yards!"Some tell me 600 yards so when you hear some guy make a comment "I killed my buck at 600 yards"....you can basically count on it being absolutely BS of the highest order! On occasion I've asked some of these 'Carlos Hathcocks' about how their rifles are equipped....and it's mighty hard to listen to the responses given without laughing because many tell me that they've got their rifles sighted in dead on at 25 yards and when I ask them how they 'held' on that deer they shot from 600 yards....well...most say that they held the crosswire right at the top of the back!! "Nuff said!"

As for shooting LR and making good hits, yes...many people don't or can't visualize 1000 yards! But shooting at that distance or even 1500 yards is not an impossible thing to do! It's all a matter of HOW YOUR MIND IS GEARED!! The rifle doesn't know whether it's shooting 50 ft. or 1000 or more yards; the shooters mind does so it's a psychological problem or a 'mental block' that the shooter has to overcome! The high degree of precision with which our rifles are built today and the fantastic components with which we have to work....all are capable of delivering fantastic accuracy way out beyond all heretobefore distances that were thought of as Long Range! But....not in the hands of a novice! It takes lots of attention to detail concerning the Iron Clad Rules of Marksmanship which are unyielding in their nature and a steep learning curve on wind reading! It is not learned over night!!

HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in high school when I bought my 264 in 1963, every one tried to convince me not to buy it saying it was to much gun for a 6'2" 180 lb kid but being the stubern guy I am I bought it and have never regretted it. I have never had a need for a range finder, I have been guessing and measuring distances sinse I got out of the Navy in Nov 1968. You see I am a Licensed Land Surveyor in the state of Washington. I have walked more miles and paced more distances over every terrain Washington has to offer. I have paced many half miles searching GLO section corners and be within 50 feet + or - in rugged mountians. Most people can't guess how far 100 yards is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody else playing with the .264 WSM? Fun little round nearly identicle to the .264 Win Mag in capacity, easy wildcat to load for, did I mention that it shoots too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who makes the rifle as I hadn't heard thy even made such a round.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of smiths make em but I smithed my own. Dave kiff will send you a reamer. Order a 270WSM S-busing die make a straight line seating die or just use the 270WSM die. I thoated mine .200 longer than a standard .270WSM gives me a little more room in the case, but I can still load to fit the mag and stay in the lands, plus in the long action it feeds slick as pig snot.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What kind of barrel life do you expect from the .264WSM? I would suspect velocity to be quite high, less than 6.5x284??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a hunting gun I do not really consider barrel life. All I need is enough barrel life to work up a load then a few hundred rounds for hunting and rechecking zero afew times every season. Basically in a hunting gun 1000 rounds of barrel life will last my life time. It does not work that way with my match rifles. I usually end up replacing several barrels a year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sat on a plane on the way to the SHOT show years ago, a smith on board, raved on the 6.5 WSM, and I love 6.5s. Asked about bbl life, it was not much. I like to shoot, alot, but re-bbl seldom, a budget consideration.

That said, I DID have an interest in the WSSM had it ever been mfg. It is said to be fickle getting brass done right, but it is one good looking little round.

The 6.5 WSM begs the question to me why? I mean a 270 WSM with say good 140 will do alot, and I know the 150 Ballistic Tips look like an ICBM they are so long and high BC/SD, less erosion/greater bore life, factory guns/ammo/dies, etc.

Just seems alot of trouble - the 6.5 WSM. The 284, 06 and Win Mag seem more practical solutions to long range 6.5s in my thinking.

Just me. Now if I were a smith, and had a lathe....I'd wildcat more I suppose.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
264wm

"Most people don't understand how far 1000 yards is let alone 1300 yards."

I have many shooters that come to my range each year some of which just wish to sight in their deer rifles and others that wish to learn LR shooting. I have asked many to stand on my 300 yard line and look at a 20"x20" steel plate and tell me at what distance it is and more than 60% will tell me...."Why that's at least 500 yards!"Some tell me 600 yards so when you hear some guy make a comment "I killed my buck at 600 yards"....you can basically count on it being absolutely BS of the highest order! On occasion I've asked some of these 'Carlos Hathcocks' about how their rifles are equipped....and it's mighty hard to listen to the responses given without laughing because many tell me that they've got their rifles sighted in dead on at 25 yards and when I ask them how they 'held' on that deer they shot from 600 yards....well...most say that they held the crosswire right at the top of the back!! "Nuff said!"

As for shooting LR and making good hits, yes...many people don't or can't visualize 1000 yards! But shooting at that distance or even 1500 yards is not an impossible thing to do! It's all a matter of HOW YOUR MIND IS GEARED!! The rifle doesn't know whether it's shooting 50 ft. or 1000 or more yards; the shooters mind does so it's a psychological problem or a 'mental block' that the shooter has to overcome! The high degree of precision with which our rifles are built today and the fantastic components with which we have to work....all are capable of delivering fantastic accuracy way out beyond all heretobefore distances that were thought of as Long Range! But....not in the hands of a novice! It takes lots of attention to detail concerning the Iron Clad Rules of Marksmanship which are unyielding in their nature and a steep learning curve on wind reading! It is not learned over night!!

HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!!

Very well put. Shooting LR has a few issues.. first the equipment has to be good enough.
Then the shooter has to be good enough.
And the brain has to be right.

Often all 3 fight each other and it takes a lot to figure out what to devote to what to solve the issues...

Once you sort them out though... you 'll know that you can go into that sub conscious state of mind in that you become really calm, tunnel visioned and the world leaves you... you can fire a shot almost in like in a vacuum...
But it takes a lot to get there.

Distance judging is so far off by most, me included, that I simply won't take a shot without a rangefinder... for starters.

When I used to guide.. we had one guide and hunter shot a blackbuck at over 800 yards... when they told me where... I laughed and said you can't see past 300 yards..... BS they says... so another hunter and I took off.. found the jeep tracks... found his empty 257 Wtby mag case from the shooting spot, found the blood of the blackbuck where he fell, and it was a nice shot for sure... around 275 ish yards by my rangefinder IIRC... I know it was under 300 anyway by a bit...

I've shot enough at 1000 and am constantly amazed that you can do ok there.... I've shot a big gun enough from 1300 to 1500 to be amazed too. And amazed at what a minor condition change is worth. But to also realize if the gun is capable, the shot isn't that bad if the conditions are readable.

Trust me I"m not saying that 1500 is a cake walk.. because 200 yards is not a cakewalk at times... but longer shots are workable.

I'll say this much too... not dissing anyone but when folks have their own ranges... it tells me a lot more too..... I never shot at home much past 600 due to a lay of the land issue and because I have a lot of deer on the back end... but shot a lot from 300 on in.. and plenty at 600 for load testing/practice... I have the ability to shoot at the 984 mark IIRC the distance correct but it would take more tree trimming that I can do without a bucket truck too....
Anyway those that have private ranges and can shoot distances a lot more.... than those that don't or have to drive to a range to do it... those folks tend to end up being better shooters in the end....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Confirmed drops with a McRee rear grip 6.5WSM Specialty Pistol today.
Temps in the low 80's.
Mirage got tough close to and at 1K, so I didn't shoot beyond 1K.

130 Berger at 3085 for a MV is pretty cool in a SP (Krieger 1-8 twist, just under 18").

Will use this for deer and antelope.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
rost495

Yes sir....I'm sitting here right now; it's 1810 hrs. and in about 30 more minutes I'm going to be sitting at the 1300 yard line. I'm waiting for the wind to die a little; want to see how this 6.5x47Lapua is gonna handle 41 grs. N550 with a 123 gr. SHPBT. I've been pretty successful using Varget but I've been hearing good reports about the N550 so I'll maybe see what it will do a little later! Unless it's raining or blowing like a Banshee...I shoot at least 30 rounds every day; 15 early AM and 15 late evening. Lately it's been averaging wide temp variations; 55F early and 90F to 97F in the evenings!! Anyone that doesn't think these wide temp swings aren't an eye-opener as for variation of zero...well...they've got a surprise coming!!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.