Print Thread
Hop To
P
Phasmid Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have had my my Ruger .375 African apart for quite awhile after working on the trigger and I decided to get my butt in gear put it together and shoot it some more. I was looking for information on the the torque specs for the action screws. I visited the Ruger website and watched the assembly video for M77 MkII and they said to torque the front screw to 95 inch pounds (7.92 ft pounds). That is far beyond what my Wheeler FAT torque screw driver instructions recommend even for rifles with pillars. Does anybody know if that really is the correct specification?

If it is, it could explain why .375 Rugers crack a lot of stocks, either owners reassemble them with a lot less torque than called for or the 95 inch pounds might be a little tight on plain walnut.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
yeah.. that sounds excessive. Most specs call for 35 to 65 in lbs depending on stock material/pillars/bedding block. maybe a typo by ruger? might warrant a phone call to their tech line/cust service?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Dufur,

It was on the Hawkeye reassembly video at this page http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/extras.html

If you got a fast internet connection take a look at it. I will call their tech help to double check before I put it together that tight. I will have to borrow the correct torque wrench from my brother as I all have is the FAT and a full size one for wheel lugs and such.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds excessive...I would certainly verify with Ruger.

I corresponded with Ruger years ago on the proper front action screw tension and wrote the torque # down somewhere...know it was not that high. Told the technician that I did not own a torque wrench and did not intend to purchase one. He advised to tighten front screw with correct slotted driver to snug and just beyond.

I let the rifles at the range let me know how tight the front screw should be as you can see a difference in the groups.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I just sent an email to Ruger's customer support. I will post here know if/when I get a response.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I watched the video. The instructor did say 95 inch pounds...crazy tight! I'd still talk to tech at Ruger and at least find out what their reasoning is for such a heavy torque on that screw. I've never tightened any of my stocks down like that. I'm no gunsmith either thou! Normally I go 65 in/lbs with bedding blocks. 45 in/lb with synthetic, and 35 with wood stocks-no pillars.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Well I got an email response within 3 days as Ruger promised For those still inrested here is my question andd the response they sent me.

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 02/15/2010
Request No: 54485

Comment / question:

I disassembled my .375 Ruger caliber African M77 Hawkeye according to the directions posted on your website. http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/extras.html
I was going to reassemble the rifle according to your video but wanted clarification on the torque poundage to be applied to the front action screw. The video said to apply 95 inch pounds. The demonstrator was using a synthetic stock in the video. Is 95 inch pounds also correct for wood stocked rifles?

Thanks for your time

Response:
It would also be used for a wood stock.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Go figure! I'd still contact them by phone and see if you could speak to a tech that could enlighten you as to why so tight.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I believe it had to use a cresent wrench on square bladed driver to break all 3 screws loose on my wood stocked LH Hawkeye 7-08!
There was no locktite or adhesive, The front action screw had a drilled indent in the threads?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I too have questioned this setting. Difficult standard for the novice such as myself to achieve. Many of the torque drivers I have looked into won't go to 95 inch #'s. My Craftsman ratchet will, but with a standard blade tip! I would think they would use an Allen head or similar for this application. Brownell's no longer has Allen head's for these and no recommendations for other suppliers. frown

Bought a Ruger "High Grade" from Cabela's a few years ago. Took it apart to inspect/clean before shooting and found it was cracked between the trigger and mag well. Cabela's returned without hassle at the time. I don't think they will do this anymore (new policy; return to man.). Had to use cresent method to break loose. I wonder if it was torqued to tight? I am working with a Hawkeye 7mm mag now. Guess it will be trial and error. eek

Last edited by ring3; 02/19/10. Reason: typo
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try torqueing your Hawkeye down and then shooting several rounds through it. I and others have had a problem with the front action screw loosening up after only a dozen or so rounds.
I'm thinking I need to go to pillars to keep from splitting the stock with 95 in lbs, especially at the tang.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I emailed Ruger about the recommended torque for the receiver mounting screws of my M77 tang-safety rifle. Here's the response:

"The front mounting screw (under the floor plate hinge) should be torqued to 95 inch pounds. All other screws should be hand tight and then backed off 1/8 of a turn."

One contributor to the Predator Masters forum (http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1638684) claims that the higher torque increased the accuracy of his rifle.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I never measured the torque on the rear screw of new Model 77's
I bought, but they are TIGHT. I had to use some REAL force to take them out of a new rifle. I would belive them when they say 95 in-lbs torque.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They crank them down for sure. All the factory rifles I've seen torqued that high also had a fair amount of binding in the mag box. Some still shot good, but all shot better when the binding was relieved so they could be torqued down stress free.

If you bedded the African stock and included pillars while reinforcing the thin webbing area between the mag box and trigger inlets, you should be fine at normal bedding torques. I've even shot such a bedded African as low as 35in-lb front/25in-lb rear/15in-lb middle with no movement and no issues. With the factory CNC one size fits all inlet, as example your African will drop into any mkII 7mm/300wm/33WM stock, you may run into issues if the angled screw is not torqued to spec as the 375R will take advantage of any loosness for a running start and the next thing you'll see is a crack. That is why Ruger put the video on the site.

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/14/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Gary,

Good info.
Thanks for your posting!!

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,657
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.