Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone have a McMillan Remington Hunter pattern stock? Not the "hunter's edge" but the "Hunter" pattern with monte carlo comb and forend capable of accepting a #8 contour. If so, how do you like it and would you please post a picture? I'm thinking of one for my 223 Varmint 700. Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got one but no pictures handy. It is a beefy fore-end that warrants a beefy barrel. I have a hart #5 contour sitting in mine and would not want a slimmer contour barrel in that stock. I like the stock but it is now on a rifle that i mainly shoot off the bench. The every day deer rifle the Remington Hunter started on now sits in a Remington Classic pattern.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a couple & love them!!!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
It is a beefy fore-end that warrants a beefy barrel. I have a hart #5 contour sitting in mine and would not want a slimmer contour barrel in that stock.

+1. I really like the shape though. For me it seems to do a better job of naturally aligning my eye behind the scope than the straight comb versions. I think I read here soemwhere that now McMillan produces the same version with a slimmer forend for smaller barrels. Called the McMillan Hunter maybe?? If I go lighter than a #5, I will investigate that stock.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I think I read here soemwhere that now McMillan produces the same version with a slimmer forend for smaller barrels. Called the McMillan Hunter maybe?? If I go lighter than a #5, I will investigate that stock.

John

I think you are refering to a Sako Hunter stock that is inletted for a remington. It is much slimmer than the 2x4 forearm of the remington hunter.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
It is a beefy fore-end that warrants a beefy barrel. I have a hart #5 contour sitting in mine and would not want a slimmer contour barrel in that stock.

McMillan produces the same version with a slimmer forend for smaller barrels. Called the McMillan Hunter maybe?? If I go lighter than a #5, I will investigate that stock.

John

You're close, it's called the Rem McMillan Hunter. It's a redesigned Sako hunter pattern to better fit 700's. I say redesigned because it's not a modified Sako Hunter pattern out of the mold, the Rem McMillan Hunter has it's own mold. I believe it takes up to a 4 contour just like the Sako Hunter. From the pistol grip back both stocks are identical(monte carlo with palm swell). Differences are the Rem McMillan Hunter has the action ejection port part of the stock cut out on both sides like most Rem pattern stocks have. The Rem McMillan Hunter also does not have the cut out in the stock for the bolt release tang that the Sako Hunter has. In my opinion it's an awesome stock pattern, I see one coming in the near future for one my 700's.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got the sako hunter on my weatherby vanguard. I know McMillan states it can be inlet for up to a #4, but I don't see how as my factory weatherby tube pretty much fills in the forearm.

I do like the monte carlo and palm swells on the "hunter" style stocks a lot.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here are the 2 stocks for a visual comparison. The top is a Remington Hunter with a #5 contour fluted barrel and the bottom is a Remington McMillan Hunter with a #2 contour.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had 2 but sold one. Good stock but that's what I come to expect from McMillan.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Anyone have a McMillan Remington Hunter pattern stock? Not the "hunter's edge" but the "Hunter" pattern with monte carlo comb and forend capable of accepting a #8 contour. If so, how do you like it and would you please post a picture? I'm thinking of one for my 223 Varmint 700. Thanks.

I have one but only put a Rem .223 LVSF barrel into it. Personally it works great for me, since I have bit mitts any ways. I like the looks of it, even though its a beefy stock and light barrel.

Rob
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does the McMillan Remington Hunter have cast off?

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes it does.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm glad I found this thread. Does anyone have more pictures of the McMillan Remington Hunter stock.

Originally I was thinking of the Edge stock. After talking with Rick yesterday, I've been giving this an good option.

M700 action with a #3 Shilen, 1.5~1.75" shank 300win.

Thanks in advance

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not any pictures immediately available, but I have had a couple. One was in a #2 PN and was perfect. And at the minute I have an edge sporter ordered for a #1 PN, so obviously I don't subscribe to the "thick barrel only" philosophy with this stock.

It fits me better than the other full-size McMillan M700 stocks, period.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.