Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Stopped by my grandpa's tonight to give him a couple gallons of tomatoes he was wanting for canning, he traded me a Savage Model 745 for them. Pretty fair trade?

Anybody know anything about the gun? Looks kind of like a Browning A5. This one has a 'ported' poly-choke on it. Had the wife throw 5 clay pigeons for me when we got home, hit all 5 and now can't hear out of my left ear.....pretty loud for sure. Gun is in pretty good shape. Grandpa said he had one identical to it back in the day, this one he traded into about 10 or 15 years ago.

The quick research I did showed most references to the late 40's for manufacture.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I recall correctly the years are right, 1948/9. Same as 740? but with an aluminum frame. Pretty receivers with molded, I think, scroll work. They have a friction ring for adjusting to 'high brass' and 'low brass' loads; I never remember which way though. Pretty sure it's the same as an Auto 5 Browning. Poly choke was factory. Been a loonng time since I had one but I used to win turkeys with one. The spring loaded barrel took a while to get used to. Nice old guns and fun to shoot.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by batch
If I recall correctly the years are right, 1948/9. Same as 740? but with an aluminum frame. Pretty receivers with molded, I think, scroll work. They have a friction ring for adjusting to 'high brass' and 'low brass' loads; .
Slight correction: Friction piece stays in place and is not adjustable.. But the compression ring is movable and is placed differently for low power loads vs. high brass stuff..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, same setup as the Browning A-5. Parts don't interchange, though. Put the friction rings on the "magnum" setting and see if it cycles. Only go to the low-power setting if it doesn't cycle.

One thing to watch out for is the receiver cracking. On both sides at the front of the loading port, there are two pins on the underside that go up through the thin metal on the sides. This is where thecracks start. I've no idea how long it takes to happen, but it's a fairly common defect.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grouseman
Yep, same setup as the Browning A-5. Parts don't interchange, though. Put the friction rings on the "magnum" setting and see if it cycles. Only go to the low-power setting if it doesn't cycle.

One thing to watch out for is the receiver cracking. On both sides at the front of the loading port, there are two pins on the underside that go up through the thin metal on the sides. This is where thecracks start. I've no idea how long it takes to happen, but it's a fairly common defect.

Thanks, it has been too many years since I last thought about that and I'm sure you're correct. I still don't remember which way the compression ring goes, though. Dang it.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.