Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Seems to me the wolves were SUPPOSE to reduce the elk population. That was one of the main reasons for the introduction in the first place.............too many elk.

Wrong. Wolves were introduced to the Yellowstone Ecosystem to restore it to it's origional form. The trouble is, the wolves didn't know they weren't supposed to reproduce and move out of the Yellowstone Ecosystem. There has never been an overabundance of elk in Montana. The Montana Fish and Game has always controlled the numbers just fine by way of hunting, and by the way, hunters and fishermen pay the bills.

GB1

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wonder how many dogs got hit by cars in 2010? ...................but hey that ain't news.

The chances of a hunting dog getting hit by a car in the middle of a National forest while treeing a lion are pretty slim.

Nice try!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MtHtr
The chances of a hunting dog getting hit by a car in the middle of a National forest while treeing a lion are pretty slim.

Yep, much much more likely to get poisoned by someone that was putting out baits for wolves.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BrentD

Yep, much much more likely to get poisoned by someone that was putting out baits for wolves.

Your proof? List the vet clinics we can call to verify.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup. Got the vet proof and G&F investigation.

Don't even think of taking a dog into the timber above Dubois for instance.

IC B2

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Seems to me the wolves were SUPPOSE to reduce the elk population. That was one of the main reasons for the introduction in the first place.............too many elk.

I believe Montana now has less than 150,000 Elk. That's not a lot of Elk when they used to number in the millons across the US. I believe I read ID and WY have even less.

Has anyone seen what the Northen Yellowstone Elk herd population is now. I would guess under 6,000 animals.

What a cluster.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Indeed, MtHtr, and before wolves were exterminated the first time, elk were totally extinct. smile

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Indeed, MtHtr, and before wolves were exterminated the first time, elk were totally extinct. smile

Totally... like Dinosaurs? What did the wolves eat then. The wolves seem to have no effect on the growing number of Buffalo in Yellowstone.

When the wolves were exterminated removed from the lower 48, there were still plenty in Canada North America, right?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wonder how many dogs got hit by cars in 2010? ...................but hey that ain't news.

Nice try!

Silly me, I never thought of Wisconsin as a hotbed for Lion huntin.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

Where does this guy get this stuff? Guess you are just baiting people, can't seem to back up anything you write with anything resembling a fact. I suggest you go over to one of the comedy forums and work on your material.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sarcasm. Look it up. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
No I haven't been to GM for .... better than 5 years anyways. It's been a while.

Well, I'm glad I didn't run the poor guy over then. That would have been embarrasing...gettin' the wrong guy! smile

Anyway, I've been way too busy to fight on the internet lately. Fishin', hunting, scouting, "on the ground "real" experience", you know. Have you tied up your Minnesota buck yet? I had my trail cams out for two nights in the back yard, but all I saw were more of those regular bucks. I'll find a big guy. They were just starting to rut...into it big now. I put the cameras on my good hunting spots last friday and am about to go out the door to pick them all up for review. Can't wait!

Yard pictures of several small bucks:
This buck was wounded by a muzzleloader hunter two years ago when it was a yearling, making it 3.5 years of age now. You can still see the healed wound on its brisket as a lump. I also have a picture of him from last year when the wound was more pronounced.
[Linked Image]

Some might recognize the salted stump in my yard:
[Linked Image]

Who dat?
[Linked Image]

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NMScout308

In Montana sportsmen aren't happy, fish and game people aren't happy, outdoorsmen aren't happy, and ranchers are definately not happy no matter what DPOLE says.

You're gonna have to show me where I wrote that everybody is "happy." Or did you purposely make it up? In fact, I'm not "happy" either. I want a hunting season for wolves in Minnesota and I won't be "happy" until it happens. I think you are lying. whistle

Anybody can make up a bunch of lies about another poster. I can do it too, as shown in this thread. It works! Thats why politicians do it. It does take much precious time to refute lies about oneself, taking away time that should be used to discuss hunting and shooting.

For fun, I complained about the dirtbags on this forum making crap up about me for a couple of months, as above. It worked really well. It brought out the dirtbags in droves. You see, if a dirtbag sees that something is bothering a poster, they increase it to try and hassle the poster even more. Its a normal way to interact by dirtbags the world over. I baited out lots of dirtbags here...you know who you are. Even big shiite took it up. I had a pretty good time IDing several known and new scum-dog dirtbags with the process, and now I, and many others know who you are too!

Most excellent! cool
Carry on. I'll be huntin'.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"and before wolves were exterminated the first time" Does this mean that wolves will be exterminated a second time, or is that only wishful thinking? smile

And as it was also pointed out, elk were not totally extinct in Montana, but 90 some years of excellent game management brought elk back from the verge of extinction (without the ESA) to record high numbers in Montana and many other states. It only took the Park Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and one Federal Judge 15 years to undo those 90 years of elk management success. mad

SAVE 100 ELK, KILL A WOLF

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buffy, I like you...in a totally heterosexual way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buffybr

"and before wolves were exterminated the first time" Does this mean that wolves will be exterminated a second time, or is that only wishful thinking? smile

And as it was also pointed out, elk were not totally extinct in Montana, but 90 some years of excellent game management brought elk back from the verge of extinction (without the ESA) to record high numbers in Montana and many other states. It only took the Park Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and one Federal Judge 15 years to undo those 90 years of elk management success. mad

SAVE 100 ELK, KILL A WOLF

Buffybr, I hate to burst your bubble, but have you looked at the numbers of elk that live in Montana? According to RMEF we still have over 150,000. So how is that extinction going?
If I understand you we have less elk than we did 90 years ago? It doesn't compute.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want a hunting season for wolves in Minnesota and I won't be "happy" until it happens.

It might make you feel good but there will only be one way to
control the wolf population.

Trapping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4100fps, you�re not bursting my bubble. In my previous post I did not state that elk in Montana were becoming extinct, I was only pointing out that one of the greatest big game management successes of the 20th century is being destroyed by the wolves and Judge Malloy.

You stated that according to the RMEF there are 150,000 elk in Montana. How many would we have without the wolves?

On September 6, 2010 the outdoor TV show Boone & Crockett Country did a show on wolves and elk. Two of the people featured on that show were Ed Bangs, Head of the US F&WS Wolf Recovery Team, and David Allan, Pres/CEO of the RMEF.

Ed Bangs stated that in 1995 the US F&WS objective was 300 and 30 breeding pairs of wolves in Yellowstone and northern Idaho, and that was the number of wolves needed to remove them from the protection of the ESA. The ESA also states that when the recovery goal is met, management of the species returns to the states.

That 1995 wolf objective was met in 2002. At the end of 2009, the official count of wolves in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho was 1,700. That is over 5 times the original goal.

David Allan said on the show that it �will take years to recover elk herds�even if wolves were reduced to zero.� He said that in 1995 the official count of elk in the northern Yellowstone elk herd was 18-20,000. In 2009 that herd was counted at less than 5,000.

Additionally, Allan said that the Lolo elk herd in western Montana is down 80%, and in the Bitterroot elk herd, the calf survival is less than 10%. That is lower than what is needed for herd survival.

Allan also pointed out that there is a �Citizen Suit provision� in the ESA that requires the government to reimburse plaintiffs in lawsuits for their legal fees. This money comes from our sportsman�s and tax dollars that otherwise would be used by the US Forest Service and US F&WS for game management programs. In the past 6 years pro-wolf environmental groups have been reimbursed $1.2 million and since 1973 the total reimbursement to environmental groups is $4.7 Billion.

Aside from that TV show, you only have to look at the Montana Hunting Regulations to see what the wolves have done to our big game animals. Hunting quotas are set to harvest the surplus animals from the herds in each unit.

In the 35 years that I have lived in Montana, 2010 is the first year that there are no late season elk tags in unit 313 (Gardiner). This season was created to reduce the traditional high number of elk in the northern Yellowstone elk herd that come out of the Park in January and February. The number of these late season tags has been declining for the past 10 years, and this year it is ZERO. I have never applied for one of these tags, but their number directly reflects the status of the herd.

Another of our big game animals that is being decimated by the wolves is the moose. This year there are 79 less moose tags offered in Montana�s Region 3, and 9 Units in Region 3 are CLOSED this year. F&G studies in Alaska have shown where the wolves have excessively reduced their moose herds and now the uncontrolled, imported wolves are wiping out our moose herds in Montana.

Last edited by buffybr; 11/03/10.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The reintoductions of wolves are going to looked at as one of the greatest ecological disasters of our generation.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
By the way Buffy, nice post and thanks!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.