Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My experience is also very limited( only whitetail and muledeer) with the Nosler Accubond but it has all been good(one shot kills using a 7mm Rem Mag and handloaded 160gr ABs).

Last year's mule deer buck was taken at 265 yds with the above mentioned gun and bullet leaving the muzzle at 3050 fps(tested over my chronograph). I would guess impact velocity was somewhere around 2600 - 2700 fps. The shot was quartering towards and the bullet impacted the front of the shoulder. The bullet was never recovered as it traveled the length of the animal and exited the opposite ham leaving a 3" dia. hole. The deer dropped instantly and slid 50 yds down a steep snow covered slope. Internal damage was impressive to say the least.

Wanting to find an accurate, bonded-core hunting bullet, I initially tried the Swift scirocco in both 7mm(150gr) and 30 cal.(165gr) configurations and could not get either bullet to shoot with consistent accuracy in my rifles.

Next logical choice for me was to try the Nosler AB based on the favorable comments regarding accuracy here on the "Campfire". I have found the Accubond to be very accurate(sub-MOA)in many different rifles and calibers unlike the sciroccos in my experience.

I know deer aren't much of a test for bullet toughness but if a bullet can penetrate stem to stern on a muledeer and encounter shoulder bone in and pelvis going out(that's nearly 40" of penetration), I'm not likely to worry to much about good performance on anything up to and including Elk size critters, YMMV.

Having said that, I agree with the opinion shared by many in this thread that you could just shoot a Nosler Partition and rest easy.

Happy hunting, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 09/19/10.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just got back from Namibia
Used 375 H&H with 260gr Accubonds loaded only to 2600 fps
with the following results
Kudu 180 yds hit quartering away behind the sholder bullet shatered 4 ribs on the way in broke the off side sholder on the way out. It went 25 yards and droped.
Zebra 150 yds pulled the shot back a little behind the shoulder It ran 80 yds and droped.
Blue wildebeest #1 175 yds hit it in front of the shoulder droped in its tracks
Blue wildebeest #2 125 yds hit high on the sholder.Droped in its tracks
Baboon 300 yds gut shot died on the spot.
Jackel 100 yds blue it in half!!
Never stopped a one all pass threw
Love this bullet.

Rockhounding and varmint huntin
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My son and I recently hunted in Zambia and our experience is the same as yours. Combined, we took zebra, kudu, water buck, bush buck, sable, sitatunga, warthog, and smaller antelope with a .280 Ackley shooting 140 gr. Accubonds. They worked perfectly. No bullet failures and no wounded animals running off. We use them on whitetails and desert mule deer in TX and have confidence in them.

Perhaps the earliest bullets had thinner walls, but the current bullets are good to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice bag of trophies! Sitatunga! wow!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by leftybolt
My experience is also very limited( only whitetail and muledeer) with the Nosler Accubond but it has all been good(one shot kills using a 7mm Rem Mag and handloaded 160gr ABs).

Last year's mule deer buck was taken at 265 yds with the above mentioned gun and bullet leaving the muzzle at 3050 fps(tested over my chronograph). I would guess impact velocity was somewhere around 2600 - 2700 fps. The shot was quartering towards and the bullet impacted the front of the shoulder. The bullet was never recovered as it traveled the length of the animal and exited the opposite ham leaving a 3" dia. hole. The deer dropped instantly and slid 50 yds down a steep snow covered slope. Internal damage was impressive to say the least.

Wanting to find an accurate, bonded-core hunting bullet, I initially tried the Swift scirocco in both 7mm(150gr) and 30 cal.(165gr) configurations and could not get either bullet to shoot with consistent accuracy in my rifles.

Next logical choice for me was to try the Nosler AB based on the favorable comments regarding accuracy here on the "Campfire". I have found the Accubond to be very accurate(sub-MOA)in many different rifles and calibers unlike the sciroccos in my experience.

I know deer aren't much of a test for bullet toughness but if a bullet can penetrate stem to stern on a muledeer and encounter shoulder bone in and pelvis going out(that's nearly 40" of penetration), I'm not likely to worry to much about good performance on anything up to and including Elk size critters, YMMV.

Having said that, I agree with the opinion shared by many in this thread that you could just shoot a Nosler Partition and rest easy.

Happy hunting, Leftybolt

LB,

The AB is pretty hard to beat accuracy wise (as is the BT) but the SCII shot sub-moa in my buddy's 340 and they have done the same for me in a 280AI, 25-06, 22-243 and in my 338RUM, they shot .4 at 3256fps sick

I'm looking forward to trying the new Trophy Bonded Tipped.......they look to be the best possible compromise between easy set up and penetration.

Anyone tried them?

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
433 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 44 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.