Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I tried to search this but too many word combos, free, rigs, etc. that don't bring up the subject.

Looking to install tangle free on my decoys 3 dozen or so.

Anyway does anyone make up thier own tangle free riggings or just buy the kits? Rig em right, etc.

Doesn't look that hard to do, buy components, snap swivels, tangle free line or Heavy monofiliment, weights, or is it just easier to buy the kits.

Information & experineces with which ones appreicated.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
GB1

Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So after an hour of searching finally found this. Directions on how to Texas Rig tangle free.

http://www.txwaterfowler.com/html_pages/duck_hunting/texas_rigged_decoys/texas_rigged.htm

And just add your weights. Go to the bottom of page or click Texas Rig Kits.

http://www.doctarilonglines.com/products.html#tr

Don't know if I can find that heavy of monofiliment around here, may just end up ordering them. Still would like to know if anyone uses a similar type tangle free & how you like them. Friend has a tangle free system (how I got started on this tangent) but the weights are small on each end & fatter in middle (lead weight that looks like an elongated fish trap) he thinks the shape of the weight is the key, but obvously other weight styles are used.

Last edited by Siggy32; 09/19/10. Reason: added information

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
easy as heck to make with a crimp tool, crimps and a skein of 550# mono... I make all my own and have for years. They are not the end all but they do work really well most of the time... I don't own a decoy bag anymore either.

Which reminds me, I need to get some more copper crimps... I"m running a bit low and have 2 doz more pintails to work on before December....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW snlcorp.net sells stuff too... thats where I buy all my stuff and I was wrong on line weight... its 400 pound mono but 550 yards on a skein....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
rost495

Do you use swivels? if So What size? Sounds like you run the loop as in the article. That would keep the pickup loop at the decoy, prevent swivels coming open which some indictaed int he reviews of the rig em right. Do you have preference on the weights?

Thanks for the link to snlcorp.net

http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/Other/DuckDecoyKit.aspx

- Benjamin Franklin
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just got 400 more crimps in from SNL

I don't use swivels... we rarely hunt in water more than 3 feet deep anyway. And often less than that.

I run both mushroom weights... usually for the coast and higher wind situations, and short strap weights punched in the center of the weight....for more or less tighter water.. I take a 8 oz strap, cut it in half and punch through the center. The mushrooms are 8 oz.

I usually have enough line that with the deke on the floor the loop is at shoulder level max. So I'm actually probably cutting 6 foot pieces but I have a bunch cut I could go measure.

The only issues I've had are if you use light water keels they'll flip over in wind.... thats not the rigs fault... I simply need to pop rivet about 2 oz of lead in each water keel to help...

I do run the loops just like in the article.

If you need more info shout... I have aversions to paying folks for set up kits when all it takes is a cutter and crimper and diy...

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.