Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 6.5-20x44 Cabela's Premium Alaskan Guide rifle scopes and I'm just curious if anyone knows who actually makes them. It's an excellent scope, comparable to my Nikon UCC 6.5-20x44 scope, not quite as crisp, but very, very close, with excellent tracking adjustments. Thanks for the help!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Call Cabela's. Sometimes they'll tell you who the maker is.

You ain't about that life.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I read online somewhere that Light Optical Works is making them. I don't know anything about them but my 3-9x40 is impressive. The man at the counter said that it comes out of the same factory as the Bushnell Elites.

Grab these while you can, good Japanese glass at a good price.

Nick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not positive about the AG scopes but I know for a fact that the AG bino's are made by Light Optical Works, jp.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It really doesn't matter so much who makes them. There are not many companies who really make optics these days. Light Optical Works is certainly an outstanding example. The more germane question is, to my way of thinking anyway, "are the Alaskan Guides based on a Cabela's design, or are they ordered from whoever gave them the best deal on a particular specification package"? I'd bet on the latter. In that case the maker is probably pretty inconsequential as they have to be made well enough for Cabelas's to warranty.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've got a 4.5-14 old guide scope, and tasco stoney point turrets fit on it.
just my .02 about them. i do like it, and has been a great scope on my 243 hb.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good points Steve. I mentioned LOW because they have an excellent reputation for producing quality. Matter of fact Leupold's Pinnacle and Katmai bino's are made by Light Optical Works and they are pretty good as well. My feeling is when a buyer such as Cabelas in this case goes to Light Optical they are looking to offer their customers a good product as opposed to going to some OEM in China with a lessor reputation.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SteveC99,

I happen to know some of what went on when Cabela's decided to get into the scope business. They actually hired a consultant who knows something about hunting optics. When Cabela's told him that they wanted to sell a very good scope, he suggested Light Optical.

They took his suggestion, then had Light makes some prototypes of what they wanted. These were were thoroughly tested by the consultant, including extensive shooting on hard-kicking rifles. Some changes were made before the scopes went into full production.

So no, in this Cabela's did not go with "whoever gave them the best deal."

Now, that was several years ago and I don't know if the scopes are still made by Light. But that's what happened in the beginning.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
JB,

Were you the consultant Cabelas used?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I always had a feeling they were manufactured by the same company building Sightron scopes. I bought several of the AG scopes a few years back when Cabela's clearanced them in their Bargain Cave, and they were very similar to the Sightron scopes I had. Specifically, they were very close to the SII's. Turrets were the same, power ranges the same, with the same "nitrogen port" sticker in the exact same place under the turret saddle.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aldeer,

No, I wasn't. But I know the guy well, the reason I know what went on.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jason280
I always had a feeling they were manufactured by the same company building Sightron scopes. I bought several of the AG scopes a few years back when Cabela's clearanced them in their Bargain Cave, and they were very similar to the Sightron scopes I had. Specifically, they were very close to the SII's. Turrets were the same, power ranges the same, with the same "nitrogen port" sticker in the exact same place under the turret saddle.

I've got one of the 4.5x14x50mmSF "bargain cave" models. Everything about them is the same as Sightron SIIs.
Been a great scope, will mount up in Talley lows despite the 50mm objective.

[Linked Image]
Moonrise over Bokeelia, "The Hill" Boca Grande Pass

"When you shoot a 270 towards something it's like an eagle flying mach speed shooting lightning bolts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.