Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I would like a little help please. About 10 years ago I acquired this Colt Sauer from a guy who literally put on gloves before he touched the rifle (I am not making this up). He said he had shot it a few times. I took it to the range once and put about 10 rounds through it. It has since been a safe queen. I now realize that I will never use this particular rifle and am thinking that I will sell it. I am not experienced in the exact lingo of classifying condition, but believe it would be hard to find one in better condition unless it was NIB.

What might I get for this rifle? Because I am inexperienced in selling rifles and dealing with the paperwork, shipping, etc. I may put it on consignment at a local sporting goods store which attracts collectors.

Many thanks for your advice,

Al

Last edited by WoodsyAl; 07/30/10.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, that is neat - so it is like new? Do you have the box and paperwork? that is very important if you are to represent it in truly As-new condition.

not doubting, just saying.

Is there a scope and mounts involved? if so, that greatly affects the price. Weaver aluminum bases and a Baska scope are worth less than Steel Conetrols and a Ziess.

So that said and waters muddied, I saw go to Gunbroker, look it up under BOLT RIFLES and then when you get your results - select the COMPLETED AUCTIONS using the drop-down - VERY-VERY-VERY IMPORTANT!!!! look ONLY-ONLY at those auctions that actually have a bid! that will give you a pretty good idea

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There used to be a guy out in your part of the country , a Sauer collector by name of Gary Sauer, that would buy that quality Sauer and pay top dollar for them. Might try looking him up.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
iambrb,

Thanks for your reply. I do not think you doubt me, but let me assure you and others that the last thing I would want to do is to misrepresent this rifle. I think the rifle is like new, but I am not a trader and don't know the rules. It has been in the safe for 10 years and might have a very minor ding somewhere. I do not have the box or original paperwork and understand that devalues the rifle for a serious collector. The rifle has rings that look original because the bluing matches the rifle, but I did lap the rings before mounting a scope -- I suppose that is good or bad depending on what someone would want to do with the rifle. It does not have a scope on it.

I've looked on Gunbroker, but it does not seem that Colt Sauer's move there very often. There are several listed but not many bids.

I'm inclined to take it to the sporting goods store for an evaluation -- they do this all the time and I am a complete novice. Understandably, they will want to price it so it might move in a reasonable time. On the other hand, I am in no hurry to sell and would want a fair (no more) price, so we may have a mild conflict of interest.

Thanks again for taking time to reply,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depending on all the items involved, the rifle could be in the range to $4000.00 or better. Go to google and punch in --COLT-SAUER RIFLES. A Mr Brian Kelly in OHIO is a collector--BRIANCOLT-SAUER.COM

Try the above and see if he may give you some advise. CD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had to throw numbers at it sight-unseen, or if it were in the rack at the store, the very first question for me is "what does the wood look like?" If it has nice wood it will sell quicker. Some Sauers have wood that to me is very plain, some are stunning.

never did answer the scope & box questions, if I am going to guess again, this is less scope or mounts of any type, and box too. Lacking that moves it out of total hardcore collector territory.

So......the numbers. Sight unseen? Like a Wby. i think. About $900-1100. were it mine, that would be my minimum take. so if the shope wants 10% or so, start it at $1250 or so and work down.

BEST WAY, SERIOUSLY, IS TO TAKE VERY GOOD PICS AND POST IT HERE.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Many thanks for taking time to help me, guys. I see that Cabela's Gun Library has one listed at $2110. The specs say the metal and wood condition is "good" and bore condition is "very good." It also says, "Small crack in stock has been repaired."

It is just so hard for an amateur to come up with comparables on a rifle like mine.

Best,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by iambrb

BEST WAY, SERIOUSLY, IS TO TAKE VERY GOOD PICS AND POST IT HERE.

Well, I'm no great photographer, but here are some shots I just took. On close examination, I guess it is not fair to say it is like new. There are a few very minor marks like the one on the top of the scope ring where I suspect it rubbed against the safe wall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought one about 5 yrs ago in 25.06 for 900.00

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
she's a beaut that is for sure.

IC B3

S
S
Looks to be in great shape. If you find the right person, it should sell for a good sum of money. Sauer rifles are fantastic.
I own a Sig Sauer. The quality of a Colt Sauer should be of the same high quality.

There is no such thing as too much firepower.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is one for sale for $1850 on gunbroker. Doesn't look quite as nice as yours but still quite nice.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181941354#DESC

I sold one in mint condition a couple years ago in 300 Win for about same $$$

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Realistically, it should go for $1800-$2500 in that condition. Unless your buddy is needing the money, be patient and you'll get somewhere north of 2K. The 300 Wby is one of the more rare and desirable rounds.

NRA Benefactor member
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sincere thanks to all who replied. I've looked at Gunbroker and I guess it is not brain surgery to try to sell a rifle there and arrange shipping. I think I will give that a go in a few weeks after I'm back from some travel where I won't have internet access to deal with it.

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The rings look like Redfield to me. I have one in 22-250 and would not take less than 1600.

These guns are a cult classic. I know of 2 people around here obsessed with getting all the calibers.

The heavy calibers have a reputation of cracking the guava wood (I think that's what they call it) stock at the wrist.

Definitely a collector. I would not want to let a horse bash it against a rock for me.

You should expose the gun as widely as possible, the collector site mentioned may be good if not populated by deal seekers.

Put it where you can pick it up and work the bolt from time to time. Smoothest ever. Also check the cunning way the Germans make the rear lugs pop out of the bolt.

HM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had one in 7mag, sure wish I had not sold it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The lack of cross bolts are why the stock cracks in heavier cals.That is one fine looking rifle and I love the smooth as glass bolt .You will have no problem selling that rifle.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've been looking for one for my son, I already own one and would love for him to carry the same rifle when we hunt. I just missed one here in ak for 900 bucks, not necessarily in as good of condition as yours, but it was mighty fine and included some ammo too. I have my eyes on one on GB for 1300 but was hoping for a slightly better deal if possible. I know there are others on there for 1600 - 1900 bucks, but they've been on there for a long time now with no bids so I think those are a bit unrealistic. Anyway, I'm sending you a pm with my phone number should you be willing to talk to me about it. Thanks for listening, Chris

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought one in similiar condition about 4 years back for $1,350 with a $200 Leupold on it and readily admit it was a steal. The stock was near mint and in order to keep it that way I ordered a McMillan and had it bedded into the McMillan. Now I can hunt with it and at the same time preserve that beautiful piece of wood. It won't see many hunting trips but it will not just sit in the safe and be ignored. They are unbelievable rifles. I actually have 2, one 7 mag the other the 300 wby. Both shoot factory ammo under 1/2" and I suspect a good shot could get pretty close to one hole groups out of them.

Plus using the McMillan will definitely keep that stock from cracking! Only regret is I didn't order a McMillan with Edge technology but that's the way it goes.

The asking prices are up there but the true selling prices aren't. It's just a matter of what the market will bear. Last few years the ones that brought big money are few and far between. Same goes for a lot of other things in a down economy...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,524
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.