Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I always wanted to hunt whitetail with a old Winchester 1894 with open sights while wearing a red and black plaid.

But that is just me smile

That's how I grew up hunting. Win 94 in 32 Win Spcl and reb/black plaid jacket and wool pants passed down from Dad.

Yes the good old days!

All you need was a good pair of boots, your rifle and a jacket.

Now you need a John Deer tractor, seed, weed killer, a deer lease, and a tree stand.

I miss the old days.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was growing up in NH, deer hunting was often as easy as walking out the back door, loading the rifle, and heading up onto the ridge behind my Parents' home. To go farther afield, I might have ridden a Honda CT90 somewhere within a 4 or 5 mile radius, parked it, loaded the rifle, and started hunting. I learned early on that if you lived next to an apple orchard, it was a good idea to look the orchard and the edges over with a pair of binos before heading out and if there were deer in the orchard, it pays not to slam the back door when you leave the house.

I really wish that my kids could have the freedom of the fields and woods that I had as a kid, but those days are gone for most people who don't farm or ranch for a living.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they were a bit more water resistant, I would likely consider one for full time use!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FullMetalParka
If they were a bit more water resistant, I would likely consider one for full time use!

I hear you there. I have been rocking the woolies for the past 10 years of hunting, and they are great for a lot of situations here in NH, but they don't stop the wind worth a dang, and they are atrocious in the rain. Might be time to modernize my kit a bit, but it sure is hard to beat the silent nature of wool!

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by fatjack34
OK...got to thinking about this old school classic...especially after seeing RAS Red plaid in the SAVAGE COLLECTORS thread under topic of Putting a face to a name.

Who here still wears the timeless classic in cold weather climates? Red Plaid, Green Plaid...makes no nevermind, so long as it is wool! Let me know and they brand and type for comparison's sake and recommendations! This ought to be good!
Hell...post a picture of it if you got one! JC

I don't have pics. I wear Filson wool bibs with a Filson wool vest. I also have a "tin" jacket I wear until I get to where I'm getting, then I sit on it. My shirts are usually old Pendelton wool shirts, or wool sweaters (one of my sweaters I bought in Ireland and it smells like wet sheep, which I think is a good smell).

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a red plaid Filson Double Makinaw that I where when hunting in MN. In MT it doesn't get as much use since I do a lot more hiking. It does get worn while plowing though. Bought my Dad a Woolrich red plaid coat in 89. He never wore it so he gave it to my wife. Now we match. Sort of.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Woolrich clothes were popular in Pennsylvania because they were made right here in Plum Run - later renamed Woolrich PA.

All my family members at one time wore Woolrich hunting suits.

When I started hunting, my grandfather had just passed away and they tried to get me to wear his old hunting clothes and I refused and wore a old WW I army coat and 3 pairs of blue jeans.

As I got older, I wore that coat many times until they passed the Blaze Orange laws in Pennsylvania. I was the first person in my family to wear a All Blaze Orange hunting suit.
The company was called Ideal and was out of Sykesville PA.
The coldest clothes I ever wore. I still have the outfit, it doesn't fit me anymore.

The dumbest thing I ever did was wash my grandfathers coat in the washing machine. He always had it cleaned at the dry cleaners. Well it shrunk up and now I don't fit it no more.
You could probably put it on a 12 year old kid - it shrunk so bad. I still have the coat though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be in this for elk hunting in 2 weeks:
[Linked Image]

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike103

Yes the good old days!

All you need was a good pair of boots, your rifle and a jacket.

Now you need a John Deer tractor, seed, weed killer, a deer lease, and a tree stand.

I miss the old days.

Hank Hill said on "King of the Hill" one time, "Aw hell, Dale, that's a bunch of bull. Everybody knows, all you need is an orange shirt and a six-pack!"

I lean toward the hunting over the gear, but if you can take gear with some family history, you're ahead of the game, in my book.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sycamore
I'll be in this for elk hunting in 2 weeks:

Sycamore

I hope it brings you great mojo Sycamore! send me a picture.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

The dumbest thing I ever did was wash my grandfathers coat in the washing machine. He always had it cleaned at the dry cleaners. Well it shrunk up and now I don't fit it no more.
You could probably put it on a 12 year old kid - it shrunk so bad. I still have the coat though.

Have a friend that bought a wool sweater, wore it once and it got mixed up with his other laundry. He came to my house and tossed it on the kitchen counter, said my son should get some good use out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am wearing my great grandfathers red plaid woolriches and my dad is still wearing his.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
504 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.