-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First couple of pics with the ZS5 on full auto. I'm very pleased with this little camera and most will agree that you don't get the full potential of the camera until you go to the manual settings..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several "point and shoots", and one DSLR. As far as the point and shoot cameras go, my favorite is an Olympus Stylus Tough that I got from a fellow Campfire member. It takes some of the better pics, and is easy to carry in a shirt pocket as it is flat. Here are a few pics I have taken this year that I think came out good!!
Ken
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I researched the whole camera lineup again, and Canon wins. The only problem I had with my SD800IS is when I dropped it in the river in Alaska. It did work again after drying it out, but became a bit unreliable.

We are still speaking of point and shoot cameras, the new one is the Canon SD4500IS. It is manual/automatic, depending on your preferences. It has an honest 10X zoom and 10 mega pixel quality. The camera is only 4" X 2 1/4" X 3/4" and has more features than you could possibly use.

We went Antelope hunting this past weekend and got some good photos...

Up close...

[Linked Image]

Telephoto...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Inside the Jersey Lily, Ingomar, Montana...

[Linked Image]

Outside with bright light in the background...

[Linked Image]

Detail of a blown up liver...

[Linked Image]

I even have video of the bear I took on the same camera, It is 195 megabites, will post it another time, but this camera just plain works great!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannon always seems to get good ratings and they were on the list when I was shopping. I wanted a camera with a good wide angle lens and almost all Cannon's were lacking in that area. The problem with all these new P&S's to me anyway, is all the BS they are cramming into a "camera". If I wanted a movie camera or a GPS unit, I'd buy one. It seems like when you read all these reviews, they seem to focus on all the extra BS as well. The wide angle lens was important for me using the camera for my daughters soccer games. I guess the downside to the Panasonic/Leica's is that they are heavier than the Cannon's but I think that is because they use metal frames. They just felt more solid built than the Cannon in the event you drop one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
They just felt more solid built than the Cannon in the event you drop one.

I dropped mine plenty and had it in my backpack for 3 years of hard use...the only thing that happened when I dropped mine was it fell into water. Concrete is O.K., water isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Panasonic...

best in the world............ grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Panasonic frown

CANON smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two from today with the Panny ZS5. Thanks again, Camera Land...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pocket-sized Panasonic LUMIX DNC ZS5; good 12x optical zoom, intuitive controls and not bad pic's.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Canon G-11 and a leetle midnight sun (cropped).

Just sayin'.............

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have borrowed a couple of Canon's compacts to try out of late, and have been dissappointed with both. The last was a Powershot A480, I took up to Scotland on a stalking trip and I just couldn't get pin sharp pictures.

Below is a typical example:

[Linked Image]

Camera was steadied on shooting sticks, and even so, nothing is pin sharp in the picture..This is one of the better shots as some were very soft..I also notice similar softness in some of the pics above...

While camera shake could be a factor, I do wonder if the lens of a typical compact simply don't STOP down enough?? I think most seem to range from f2.8 to f5.6 and f5.6 is still only going to give a very short DOF when compared to say f16/f22 on a typical (D)SLR lens...

Last edited by Pete E; 12/26/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1/80 is fairly slow and you were at F/4.

Have yet to see a Canon P&S camera disappoint and I still think highly of my aged and beat to schit S40 PowerShot Dinosaur.

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
1/80 is fairly slow and you were at F/4.

Have yet to see a Canon P&S camera disappoint and I still think highly of my aged and beat to schit S40 PowerShot Dinosaur.

[Linked Image]

One that particular camera, there is very little in the way of manual override...In hind sight, I should have perhaps tweaked the the ISO setting to gain either more speed or another STOP...

But looking at your picture above, its a nice picture, but point to one part of it that is in pin sharp focus??

[bleep], maybe its my monitor thats the problem?? lol

Now have a G12 courtesy of Santa, so hopefully that will cure some of my woes...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's purty damned crisp on my new Imac.(grin)

I'd say a stop and an ISO bump in conjunction,woulda done you favors.

Shoot AV on the '12 and air her out,I'll be curious to watch you freak yourself out............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should get a chance to try it on Wednesday, and then hopefully on New Years day I will be travelling down for 4 or 5 days stalking, chasing Roe does and possibly Muntjac, depending on the weather.

Will throw in a tripod and then use the self timer to eliminate any possibility of camera shake...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do tell,after the fact.............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Liking my Canon s95 a lot. Same sensor as the g12, f/2 lens, shoots RAW and fits in my back pocket.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pics man...pics................

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pheasant hunt, an old water tank, and a commute to work. All with the s95. Workflow is RAW files run through Lightroom.

Wish the camera had less shutter lag and shot 9 fps but then I wish that about all P&S's. The back wheel is a bit too easy to bump/move accidentally. But shooters who used older SLR systems with the f/stop ring on the lens will enjoy the front ring that can control f/stop in the manual mode.

If I lived in a place where I needed a coat or rain jacket often I'd probably carry the G12 instead full time because the swinging/reversible screen is sweet, but this camera will fit in a shirt/jeans pocket.

Stick, You like the new iMac? I'm pondering one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

567 members (1minute, 22magnut, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.