Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice rig. cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Bob, will this new wonder rig be heading west soon? I sure like the looks/stats of what you put together! A well thought out project for sure.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job Bob!

About time we saw this rifle IN pictures!

Are 175's going to be thee bullet?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hillbilly; Thanks I think it turned out pretty good....easy cartridge to work with....no BS...just gives the promised velocities easily.

Randy, yes I will take it to Wyoming smile
Zeroed for the 175 to hit POA at 300 yards, it prints the FF load to the same elevation at 300 yards;but slightly left.

The 160 AB and Partition go to the same POI at 300 yards but about 2" higher than the 175. I would have to rezero for that load....no biggie....

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/30/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SU: Thanks! Hell all I did was pay for it grin....this was a collaborative effort with Dober and Gene providing all the guidance and building.I told Gene what I wanted, specified throat,mag box, etc.He is a dream to work with;a real rifle guy who "gets it" when you mention something....immediately.

Dober was a huge help,advising on the cartridge loads, providing reamer to Gene and dies to me to get mestarted ay great inconvenience. he knows his way around the cartridge and between he and Gene, load work was easy.

Also JWP gave me some good advise on powders as well....I had a LOT of help. grin

Tell ya what....now I understand what Page was saying about that 175; and he had the old semi-spitzer, not the newer one with that 519 BC,which is pretty darn high for a soft-point Partition.....you could very easily use just that bullet for everything.I have no prior experience with it but Dober gives great reports on it;it shoots flat at 3050,and groups at 100 yards have gone 1/2", if I am on my game.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks very nice, Bob.

Pretty hard to go wrong with anything that Hagel put his blessing on..............

IIRC, Dobrenski knew Hagel, at least casually, & met him a few times; prolly some inspiration there.

Glad it worked out for you; if I ever do another version of a Big 7, it would most likely be a Mashburn, if for no other reason than just because.

What's the weight of that rig?

MM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looks like a dandy rifle Bob.

Great looking, and very capable!

Have fun with it.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bob - very nice.

I've threatened to have my Classic re-chambered to the Mizzum - especially since I have a 7 SAUM. Is it guaranteed not to miss?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7mm Mashburn's are for complete nut-jobs. I should know, I'm friend's with one... (grin).

BTW, beautiful rifle Bob!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It do shoot pretty flat -27 at 500 for the 175 started at 3050 and -25 for the 160 Partition started at 3150. Plus calculated recoil of ~ 30-32 ft/lbs for an 8.25 lb gun.

Huh.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob I can like any cartridge that uses the 300 Win Mag case.Congrats on your new rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob,
Great looking rifle and a cool cartridge. Can you give more specifics on the metal work that Gene did (have any pics of that?). What contour barrel..is that an Echol's contour? Also how was rifle bedded..are you using a pressure point on the forend or free float.
Terry

Terry
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sendero
Bob,
Great looking rifle and a cool cartridge. Can you give more specifics on the metal work that Gene did (have any pics of that?). What contour barrel..is that an Echol's contour? Also how was rifle bedded..are you using a pressure point on the forend or free float.
Terry

Terry:I'll try to cover that stuff, best I can.It's written down somewhere grin

The barrel is a #2 krieger CM that I had here.I can tell it has been machined to sharpen the transition from the chamber area into the barrel shank,just enough to give a definitve edge.He cut and crowned to finish up at 24".The barrel has also been "drawn" (and polished?)before it was blued;you can tell holding it to the light because there is not a wave, or ripple in the blue job anywhere...just straight lines;ditto the action.

He blueprinted the action,squared up the lugs, etc,all the good stuff done when barreling up these days.

He installed an Echols H&H-length box magazine,and a Dakota-type follower.My first round down sits on the left rail.Extractor is a Williams and you can put a cartridge on the bolt face and swing it around;it won't drop a cartridge..... and who knows what he did to the extractor/ejection system but it feeds, extracts, ejects reliably everytime...I have rapid fired it and it gooses empties a long way.I am certain he modified the ejector/bolt stop to handle the H&H length cartridges.

Dunno what he did,but the action doesn't "feel" anything like it did when I sent it to him.It feels somehow "tighter",less play and slop,smoother overall.

Bottom metal is Williams and has been recontoured so that the trigger guard tapers to the rear toward the back screw;nice touch...it's also nicely blued and polished.

Mounts are leupold DD's which I requested;they are ground to the receiver.He changed screw spacing on the bridge;I think this was done because he machined the bridge to allow use of a H&H-length round(This is what I like about Gene;this is a small item that you don't have to mention to him;when you say set it up for H&H length, he knows EXACTLY what is required;does the whole thing "right").

The bolt handle is the original M70 Classic, recontoured.He notched the cocking piece shroud so that in the fire position the arm of the safety makes no contact.Nice little touch.

I am sure he machined/polished the bolt body as there is no visible seam where the bolt handle is fixed to the bolt body. The bolt body is jeweled,which I like.Bolt release is built up and checkered.The trigger is the original,but he contoured it to a slender profile.It really feels great and breaks like glass.I asked for 3.5 pounds but whatever....from off hand it broke nicely when I said "go".

The sling swivel studs are a nice two screw design,perfectly inletted.There are a lot of subtle touches in the rifle that make it a nice package.

Overall everything is just tighter,slicker,nicer feeling than when I sent it to him.It's apparent that he paid a lot of attention to small details here as there are lots of little touches making a nice package.

I knew going in that a #2 chambered for a cartridge of this power was on the light side for a powerful high velocity cartrdige;and the Edge stock is light as well.I had heard that D'Arcy does not like to use an Edge on anything bigger than 300 Win Mag.I suspect Gene felt the same way.I could have gone heavier in both the barrel and stock but figured it would shoot regardless because it was put together well...but I wanted a portable rifle that while not being too heavy,was not too light either.That said, I knew I was on the ragged edge with this chambering.that said, this ain't a BR rifle....it's meant for hunting.

It shoots very well,not to BR standards,but groups with the form load and the 160's are sub MOA and enough 1/2" 3 shot groups show up to know I am likely the limiting factor.

When I got to the 175's though, at full velocity, the wheels fell off...groups were in the 2" range.Also, shot from my hands ,field prone at 300 yards,it showed a tenedency to double group,ie....in a 5 shot string,the first shot was always where it should go...but the others would follow a predictable "high shot/low shot" routine.And groups were about 2 MOA.I suspected I was building a pretty big fire, lots of tourque with that long 175 at high velocity.This occured only with the 175 gr load.139's and 160's did not do this.Apparently I hit the wall with the 175's at full velocity.

Without calling Gene, I pulled the action and cut a small swatch of adhesive-backed pipe insulation;the squishy neoprene-type stuff,and set it an inch back from the forend.This cured things and the first group at 100 yards with the 175 Nosler Partition put 3 shots into 1/2".I then fired it field prone at 300 again and groups went right to 3-3.5",and the "double grouping" disappeared.

I called Gene and told him what happened and he said he doubted the barrel and forend were touching, but likely what I saw was stock resonance;said he had seen that before from light ridgid stocks and slender tubes.Apparently when riding the bags,this is attenuated;but from my hands there was not enough to bring it under control.He was curious about how I came up with the solution,and equally curious about the material used..... :)He said he thought I was on to something....

I have shot the rifle several time since;no shift in POI and good groups. I fired the 160 Nosler Partition and AB at 3150 yesterday at 300 yards;group was about 3" with each; no discernable difference in accuracy from a practical standpoint.Keep in mind this is with my left hand supporting the rifle,and no rear bags.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

What's the weight of that rig?

MM

MM. I dunno because I have not weighed it....but I can tell handling it that it is more than my 7-7.5 pound 270's;less than my M70 Classic in 7RM.I am guessing it at 8-8.25.I also can tell it will not break me down.Not sure I would want it any lighter.

bwinters:I think Brad is right....you gotta be a nut case to build one.... smile

Given all the 7 mags out there,and the STW being pretty much the same thing,it is pretty hard to justify unless you are wedded to the notion that you just want something different, and want to have some fun,while getting a tick up in velocity.Will it matter on anything you shoot?I doubt it...Will it wok really well?We all know the answer to that.....it will work splendidly.Twoof the most prominent riflemen/hunters of the 20th century used it everything from Asian Mountain game,to grizzlies,sheep,elk, moose, etc.gene said he loved that long 175 gr at high velocity,said it would penetrate like crazy..

It is probably as rational as building a 280 AI grin But hell, the fireform loads do what a 280AI or factory 7RM loads will do,in a rifle configured about the same.....with the Mashburn, that's the warmup smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty cool stuff there. I used a 7mm Rem mag with 175's from both Nosler & Sierra for a few years. Really enjoyed that combination, it worked very well for me.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guy how did the Sierra's do for you?Kill game with them? I have a pile of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should try the 150gr Nosler Partition in your new rifle Bob.I promise, you'll love the results.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bob, that Echols stock is a thing of beauty. Makes me want to throw away the edge I just got for my M70

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.