-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is a rcbs jr3 for sale in the classifieds right now. Any experience with these? Would a rockchucker be better. I have been reloading with a buddy but want to start on my own. Thanks guys!

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is the differance.

JR3

[Linked Image]

Rock Chucker

[Linked Image]

Note the bottom of the Rock Chucker. Compound leverage. More leverage helps a lot on those bigger cases and on forming.

I have both the Jr I use for all my straight wall pistol stuff. I use the Rock Chucker on my forming and all my bigger magnums.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 09/28/10.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Yep, the Rock Chucker is a stronger press than the JR3. I've had a JR3 for 36 years and have loaded everything from .38 Specials to 460 Weatherby's and a lot of stuff in between. I haven't wore it out yet and it's the only press I own. If I ever do, I'll get a CoAx.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JR3 MIGHT have clearance issues with the linkage against the bench that the RC may not... IME.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't overlook the Lee Classic Cast press. It is one of the very best, and is quite affordable. It is made in the USA and I would suggest is more heavy duty and durable than the Rockchucker.

[Linked Image]

Lee Classic Cast

Also seeing these photos, I would recommend that you hand seat primers rather than use the press. The difference in feel is unbelievable. Lee also makes an excellent hand seater.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the JR and the RC. I use the JR for seating bullets because it gives the user and more connected feel, albeit less leverage, while the RC gives more power but less sensitive feel, due to the compound leverage mechanism, so I use it for resizing duties. One could easily get by with either press, and I used the JR for years before receiving the RC as a gift.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rockchucker all the way, it's more versatile.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Don't overlook the Lee Classic Cast press. It is one of the very best, and is quite affordable. It is made in the USA and I would suggest is more heavy duty and durable than the Rockchucker."

(Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, I've used Lee, Hornady, Redding, and RCBS products all my reloading days, while Lee makes great stuff for the money, I can honestly say with 100% confidence, beyond a doubt, that RCBS makes a tougher, better quality press than Lee does, and I'm from Wisconsin, where Lee products are made, but any of the presses mentioned should work fine for standard reloading.)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, I've used Lee, Hornady, Redding, and RCBS products all my reloading days,"

Ah yes. But, have you used the Lee Classic Cast press?

I have an RC. A young friend has the C.C. and it's very much the better press. If I had to replace my green RC tomorrow it would be with a red C.C.

Seems most of those who question the C.C. assume it's alum alloy; it's actually all steel and cast iron. And has a bigger and more durable ram, MUCH better primer handling, lever is fully adjustable for length, angle and side. Better tool and costs a LOT less!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have both the JR3 and a RC. Both are good presses and will give you a lifetime of service. The RC is the more robust of the two, but if you find a good deal on a JR3, don't hesitate to get it.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've replaced my Lyman with a Lee Classic Cast, and I couldn't be more happy with it - Quality and strength. It makes the RCBS stuff look very overpriced.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used a jr3 for several years before graduating to a reloader special which is a jr3 with the compound arm. For general reloading the jr3 should be fine unless your trying to size 375 H&H down to 22 hornet etc. If it's cheap enough it should work for you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Junior is o.k. but it aint no Rockchucker. I started out with a Junior and as soon as I could upgrade, I did. I paid $32 for the Junior and $85 for the Rockchucker.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boomtube
"Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, I've used Lee, Hornady, Redding, and RCBS products all my reloading days,"

Ah yes. But, have you used the Lee Classic Cast press?

I have an RC. A young friend has the C.C. and it's very much the better press. If I had to replace my green RC tomorrow it would be with a red C.C.

Seems most of those who question the C.C. assume it's alum alloy; it's actually all steel and cast iron. And has a bigger and more durable ram, MUCH better primer handling, lever is fully adjustable for length, angle and side. Better tool and costs a LOT less!
No I haven't, but I'm familiar with Lee's usual level of quality, maybe they've taken things up a notch now, if so, sorry I blew up. grin I guess my advice is based on experience with older Lee products.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Jr used around 50 years ago. I finally gave it to a young man a few years ago that was getting into reloading. For a lot of years it was my only press and I did everything with it. Including resizing 30-06 cases down to 22-250s.
If you can find a good buy on a Jr, I'd grab it. It'll take your where you want to go.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I paid $32 for the Junior
I think mine was $15.00. Got out of the shop with everything to load 38/357 for about $25.00.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
I paid $32 for the Junior
I think mine was $15.00. Got out of the shop with everything to load 38/357 for about $25.00.

Crikey, I paid more than that for may last set of rifles dies!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.